December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I've had my Buff for two days and I'm already deeply in love with it! For some reason, my husband thought I'd picked out the regular microfiber, when I really wanted merino wool, but it's still wonderful. I really needed it today!

Glad I had all those exercise calories... dinner was a public supper with moosemeat chili and pumpkin pie. Mmmm....
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal: 95.71 miles

12/1 3.51
    12/2 5.00
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4.25
    12/5 5.87
    12/6 4.30
    12/7 3.25

Total 26.18

@eponine1984 great run and happy anniversary!
    @shanaber happy belated birthday and I think I have several on you.....(i.e. you're not the oldest here!)
    @azercord so sorry about your injury....healing thoughts!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Rest from run instead walked.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Kinvaras have been my go to shoes since spring 2014. Kinvara 4s, I'd get about 300 miles. Kinvara 5s, 400 to 500 miles. Kinvara 6s, pretty consistently 500 miles. Kinvara 7s, still in the boxes waiting for the 6s to be end of life.

HOWEVER . . . somewhere in there, my podiatrist had me start using Superfeet Blue inserts. The increased lifespan of the Kinvaras roughly coincides with when I started using the Superfeet and discarding the inserts that come with the shoe.

OTHER RANDOM FACTOID: I have a running buddy who always wears Kinvaras and gets 600 to 800 miles out of them. He may have tougher feet and legs than I do.

So . . . I'd say it's inconclusive. For sure, the Kinvaras don't last as long as the Saucony Peregrines (trail shoes); I retired my first pair of Peregrines at 500 miles out of concern for the tread, and how they've held up with lawn mowing and snow shoveling indicates I might have retired them early.

But yeah, I suspect on the average Kinvaras last toward to low end of a typical running shoe's life span. I can live with that, because they're very common and I can always buy an old version cheaper than list of the current version.
    @MobyCarp It's true, getting the Kinvaras for a good price is easy :)

Judging by price/km alone, I could retire them now:

tns5zhkobok7.jpg

At least it's possible that (since I don't use special inserts) it's not only my imagination, they might actually really start wearing out as I'm getting close to 300mi.

@_nikkiwolf_ I'm impressed that you have this kind of data. What app/program did you use?
    It's a website called runningahead .
    It's a training log I've used for years - before I ever discovered Strava, and I still use it.
    For shoes, you can add all kinds of info, like name, purchase date, price, "initial milage" ( I guess if you are switching from another running log) and notes. Then when I upload a run, I only have to select the shoe from a dropdown list. And in the end I can see the price/km in the equipment list. I'm only missing the option to use different currencies for the price :wink:

It also lets you create all kinds of graphs like "monthly distance" or "pace vs day". Here's an example ("distance vs week:")
    qbdlu4ofiqkc.png

@_nikkiwolf_ That looks awesome!

Does it only upload from a Forerunner GPS, or would it do it from my Fenix 5?

Being lazy and not researching for myself in a futile attempt to not get hooked on yet another running app.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

I am so excited to see Lonewolfrunner back with us as @LaDispute57! When is your birthday this week? Mine was Tuesday.

Hi! Happy birthday! Mine is on Sunday... bleh...

Happy Birthday to you too!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    7.1 this morning could be an over 40 mile week.

exercise.png

@cburke8909 That's so lovely to see!

@Azercord I'm so sorry about the need for the boot! Fantastic job with your annual mileage!! I look forward to your comeback and hearing your progress much as we have done with cburke8909.

@lporter229 So nice to hear you can touch your toes again! I can sympathise somewhat since it has taken two months for the water weight gain and stiffness from my back injury to subside.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    4 miles yesterday. It was a bad day for gas pain, thus I couldn't go as long as I wanted.
    5.5 miles today.
    Tomorrow is my usual rest day.
    The weekend is going to be pretty cold, so it's time to break out the fleece lined leggings.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I've been getting crazy bonus Garmin calories for a week now! Hundreds a day for doing nothing! Like after going to church Sunday it gave me 200 calories. :/
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

@PastorVincent OK, it's long past time, I have to ask, why is that word spelled "Hary"?

Cuz I spel reel gud!

No red line in my spell checking tools... and I copy/paste it for each update. So the typo stays forever! :D
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    December Goal: Run a 30 km run in December – DONE!

Congrats!!!! Well done!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Buckyz22
    Buckyz22 Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm finding this interesting....how can i sign up....
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Buckyz22 There's no sign up per-se. It's a personal thing, so just mention what your goal is, and then aim for it, giving updates along the way. There's lots of super-friendly and helpful people here that can offer advice and encouragement, so just go for it and good luck! :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @HonuNui - I would not count on that but I will gladly share that honor with you ❤️
    @orphia - love the pictures! also nice run!!
    @lporter229 - thanks, we have fires around us and get the smoke and ash but are not in any danger, thank goodness. The worst for me is not being able to run because of the wind and smoke. My heart breaks for those who have lost so much though!
    @eponine1984 - sounds like an awesome celebration!

For all of you preparing for winter please send some of the cold to California! It is supposed to be 85-90 here this weekend. I guess we aren't getting even a normal California winter with some cool down. I remain hopeful but according to the experts it isn't happening... time to look for alternative places to live/run!