December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    So what I'm asking is how do I do a "tempo run?" What is the benefit of doing a tempo run and if I'm not consciously doing a tempo run

In simple terms...

A tempo run is a run at your lactate threshold, which is probably a number you do not know. :) But it is roughly the pace you would run if you wanted to run for about an hour and not be able to run for any longer. For many normal mortal runners, this roughly (likely a bit faster than) their 10k pace. Unless you have access to a full lab, its all "roughlys" and "abouts" :)

So essentially it is "comfortably hard" for however long the plan calls for. The benefit is you push your body to get stronger and go faster for longer. :smiley:

I could take the approach of:
    • Light run for a little bit
    • Harder, slightly uncomfortable run for a longer bit than I'm used to
    • Light run for a littler bit

That's pretty much it. You can get bogged down in the numbers, but there's no real need to over analyze it. Although I would say that you might want to be a little more than slightly uncomfortable if you want to get the most benefit from your effort. IDK, maybe others may disagree with me on this. I believe in following the 80/20 approach, but I feel like the whole point is to really push yourself on that 20%.

@fitoverfortymom - I fully agree with the above. Unless you are really working for elite status, the perfect details do not matter AND if you are working towards that status you would likely have a coach that would make you follow his system and tell you what times/etc to hit.

Really, I am a HUGE fan of keep it simple. :) Left-right-left-right-repeat until done. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Wow, just wow. I am in awe. I don't know how you are able to do the kind of running you do and still manage to take care of three small children. Truly remarkable!

This. Truly this! I have ONE child and feels like it is impossible to get 20 mile runs in. And he is 14!

That's the amazing part for me too. Even with my wife watching our little guy, I feel Awful being gone for the 103 hours I am gone on weekend mornings for runs.

I would feel pretty bad about being gone for 103 hours too! ;)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Wow, just wow. I am in awe. I don't know how you are able to do the kind of running you do and still manage to take care of three small children. Truly remarkable!

This. Truly this! I have ONE child and feels like it is impossible to get 20 mile runs in. And he is 14!

That's the amazing part for me too. Even with my wife watching our little guy, I feel Awful being gone for the 103 hours I am gone on weekend mornings for runs.

Especially all in one day! :wink:
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

bwahahahahahaha. This is what I get for typing fast. Not even going to go back and change that.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn please advise on how to fit 103 hours into a day, I need to be that kind of Warlock lol

@lporter229 and @PastorVincent during the week it's easy because they're asleep- I don't need sleep :D . The 100 mile props go to Ben though. Our agreement was he got to go get trashed at his company Christmas party with his buddies and stay out all night Friday if he would watch the kids on Sunday for me before he leaves for Fort Mac on Tuesday.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn please advise on how to fit 103 hours into a day, I need to be that kind of Warlock lol

@lporter229 and @PastorVincent during the week it's easy because they're asleep- I don't need sleep :D . The 100 mile props go to Ben though. Our agreement was he got to go get trashed at his company Christmas party with his buddies and stay out all night Friday if he would watch the kids on Sunday for me before he leaves for Fort Mac on Tuesday.

you're lucky, I have wracking guilt and anxiety over being gone. I know it's all OK, I just feel guilty anyway... stupid issues I've got.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Bummer @7lenny7 . When's that appointment? Good call I'm sure. It's so hard to to pull the plug.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Bummer @7lenny7 . When's that appointment? Good call I'm sure. It's so hard to to pull the plug.

Tuesday, next week.

The decision is made easier with the fact that I have a pheasant hunting trip in South Dakota this weekend and I don't want to screw that up, and I wouldn't be running for 5 days anyway. I'm only missing 2 runs for sure this week. Next week it's up to the doc what I do.
  • lporter229
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm contemplating a 2 week break, but I think more likely is that I'll limit myself to 5 mile runs until I see a doctor. I'll be making that appointment today.

Nope, bad idea. I'm shutting down the machine until I hear from the doc what I can and can't do, and how much pain is acceptable to run through. I just deleted all my planned runs for the month. My December goal is now to get better and start working on my core and other strength activity.

Bummer, but the smart thing to do.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@JessicaMcB ha ha sounds like a fair deal. What about when he is gone away working. Until Skip was 12 or so I didn't leave her when she was asleep alone in the house.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

@JessicaMcB ha ha sounds like a fair deal. What about when he is gone away working. Until Skip was 12 or so I didn't leave her when she was asleep alone in the house.

I have a dreadmill in the house and a running stroller- definitely would not leave them alone!
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well, I got out for a run, but it was in 4" deep fresh snow. I only had time for a very short run before meeting the school bus... but my 1.25 snowy miles felt like at least 2!
    Tomorrow, we get sleet and rain, then the temps go down in the 20s. I may chicken out and stick with my exercise bike until it warms up a little.

@JessicaMcB Congrats! What an amazing run!

I'm thankful that my kids are old enough to run with me, and I'm not advanced enough to be beyond their endurance. In fact, my 11-year-old (who's on the cross-country team) regularly smokes me.

@CiaraRebello : Nice to see another new runner here! Every mile is a victory at this point. Keep getting out there!

12/1 - 3.1
    12/2 - rest day
    12/3 - 3.1
    12/4 - 3.1
    12/5 - 3.25
    12/6 - 3.25
    12/7 - 2
    12/8 Unwanted rest day!
    12/9 - .75 (sprints)
    12/10 - stationary bike
    12/11 - 1.25

exercise.png

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    12/11 8.36 miles
    122.84 miles of 200 miles for December
    1982.01 miles of 2000 miles for 2017
  • lporter229
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    12/11 8.36 miles

Dang! You need to be hanging out with @JessicaMcB ! Nice going!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    12/11 8.36 miles
    Awesome running!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well I was right... I went for a walk this afternoon and was NOT prepared for the cold... A pair of leggings, and a pair of sweats, a wind breaker, sweater, and tank top, and a hat! Still not enough for -12°C. I still haven't warmed up. :(
    Dec. 11 - 6.1km
    MTD - 28km/60km
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - thank you so much!

@lporter229 - Thank you!