December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I usually don't buy them anymore because I can't control myself around them (I have had an entire package in a day before :s ). But I made some cookies for work and had to buy them for that purpose. Now I go back to not having them in the house.

It does not help that the GF section of Walmart is like 80% different kinds of cookies. Enjoy Life is another brand I am required to only bring preportioned packs to work. :lol:

I'm glad that the brownie bites from Canyon Bakehouse are mail order only. Although the kinnikinnick donuts in the freezer section are hard to resist too

@greenolivetree I've found the Kroger or Barilla brands to be most like regular pasta. The issue is the leftovers suck. They get all mushy & fall apart.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I usually don't buy them anymore because I can't control myself around them (I have had an entire package in a day before :s ). But I made some cookies for work and had to buy them for that purpose. Now I go back to not having them in the house.

It does not help that the GF section of Walmart is like 80% different kinds of cookies. Enjoy Life is another brand I am required to only bring preportioned packs to work. :lol:

I'm glad that the brownie bites from Canyon Bakehouse are mail order only. Although the kinnikinnick donuts in the freezer section are hard to resist too

@greenolivetree I've found the Kroger or Barilla brands to be most like regular pasta. The issue is the leftovers suck. They get all mushy & fall apart.

Sadly, I have brownie bites in my cabinet...a 45 min drive away from me and Barilla is what we use too. Not horrible.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Agreed. I like the corn based pasta better than rice, but none of them are good on day two.

The Kinnikinnick pizza crusts are really good too.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Not feeling it today. Not enough sleep and tried to run too soon after lunch -- felt slightly nauseous with lower abdomen pain the whole time. Managed 4.8 mi, though it wasn't pretty. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow. Got to 30.4 mi for the last week though--longest mileage week all year!

@ the treadmill vs. slush conversation: slush for sure!

Goals this month: 90 miles, maintain weight, PT and yoga, add one day of weights per week, register for spring marathon or ultra

Day/Distance/Comments

Dec 1 Walk outside for about 30 min (rest before race)
    Dec 2 Jackson 50/50 10 mile “Fun Run” 4th female finisher in this crazy steep trail race (10.2 mi total)
    Dec 3 3.4 mi slow recovery run, PT
    Dec 4 Water walking + PT
    Dec 5 3.3 mi
    Dec 6 Rest day (unintentional!)
    Dec 7 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 8 Water walking
    Dec 9 5.5 mi + yoga + some PT
    Dec 10 12 mi + Gymnastic Bodies stretching routine + PT
    Dec 11 Water walking + PT
    Dec 12 5.1 mi + PT
    Dec 13 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 14 4.8 mi + PT

Goal: 90 mi
    Done: 50.5 mi
    To go: 39.5 mi

Upcoming races:
    Dirty Santa XC (5K) Dec 16
    Winter Night Trail Half Marathon Jan 20
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another "rest" day for me yesterday and probably today... This -20C weather is really messing with my running schedule... on the bright side, it means I've been able to make 2 out of 5 Christmas presents for my family, and I've started 3 and 4!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Agreed. I like the corn based pasta better than rice, but none of them are good on day two.

The Kinnikinnick pizza crusts are really good too.

I haven't tried their pizza crust but I think my grocery store has started carrying it. I'll have to pick it up.
  • Jettaska
    Jettaska Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jettaska wrote: »
    Dec 2 6.5 km
    Dec 3 6.5 km
    Dec 4 6 km
    Dec 9 6 km
    Dec 11 5 km skiing/2 =2.5
    Dec 13 9 km skiing/2=5
    Dec 14 14 km skiing/2= 7

exercise.png

It is cold for running but fantastic for cross-country skiing. December is busy, so let's see how long the snowman will get.39,5 done and 60,5 to go.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    weat0043 wrote: »
    Another "rest" day for me yesterday and probably today... This -20C weather is really messing with my running schedule... on the bright side, it means I've been able to make 2 out of 5 Christmas presents for my family, and I've started 3 and 4!

@weat0043 whatcha making?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    Options
    December 1 – 3.02 miles
    December 2 – 10.1 miles
    December 3 – 5.40 miles
    December 4 – 1 mile (hotel treadmill)
    December 5 – 5.78 miles
    December 6 – 5.23 miles
    December 7 – 1.84 miles
    December 8 – 1 mile (treadmill)
    December 9 – 9.01 miles
    December 10 – 1 mile (treadmill)
    December 11 – 5.01 miles track work
    December 12 – 1 mile (treadmill)
    December 13 – 4.02 miles
    December 14 – 6.01 miles
    December Total: 59.38 miles and counting!

I didn’t log on over the weekend and it has taken me until today to catch up on the posts! Snowball effect.
    @ddmom0811 – In what part of Virginia does your mom live? I’m down in the southwestern corner of the state.
    @WandaVaughn – That is some awesome weight loss! I bet your doctor was talking about you for the rest of the day!
    @JessicaMcB – Wowzer! I was worried about my goal being 110 for the entire month! Amazing that you did 100 miles solo! How do you entertain yourself for 16 hours out there by yourself? Hope Mia is feeling better.
    @katharmonic – Your runs in DC sound fun! I love running in new places and getting some sightseeing in at the same time.
    @bashincenters – Praying for you, your family and neighbors. I hope the fires are under control and out soon.
    @veronicav0502 – Welcome!
    @Elise4270 – Glad you have a plan for surgery and recovery!
    @amymoreorless – Congratulations on your marathon!
    @skippygirlsmom – I bought a cheap pair of tights at Academy over Thanksgiving and I love them also – great fit!
    @lporter229 – I love Tony Horton! He’s a bit corny but he makes me laugh.
    @fitoverfortymom – Great job with your HM PR!
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No way am I running today. It is too damn cold.
    Tomorrow I will run laps in a gym. I will run dozens of laps. Possibly hundreds. I will be bored out of my mind.
    @RespectTheKitty I find that treadmills have no 'give'. I'm used to running on dirt, grass, or gravel. Also, I can't vary my pace as I can while running outside... poking at buttons doesn't work as well for me. That said, I wish I had access to one this winter.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

@RespectTheKitty , I also love the treadmill--love how I can zone out. I just bought a refurbished Path and I love love love it!! (Can you tell I'm excited?)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Do not understand the treadmill hate. I run almost exclusively on it during the winter and I do not mind it at all, so long as I have something to occupy my brain while I run. Hence my current addiction to The Great British Baking Show.

I'm also a little weird in that I hate being around people, so if I can get my miles done in the comfort of my own home, all the better.

I think it's because I would much rather have terrain differentiation, hard tech, and strategic calls to occupy my mind with than an episode of Scandal. Don't get me wrong, love Scandal lol, but when I run I want to immersed in the minutia of running. I just can't get that on the misery mill.

FWIW though you are the normal one if we gauge by female I runners I know in town- they all live to binge watch shows on the mill!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @seanevan10 "Welcome to our Home" wall plaques. I'm staining pine boards with Minwax then using a stencil and paint for the words. I then need to varathane it like 3 times.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    December goal: 75 miles

12/3: 9.1 miles
    12/5: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    12/6: 4.2 miles
    12/8: 4.1 miles
    12/10: 8.1 miles
    12/12: 4.2 miles
    12/13: 4.2 miles
    12/14: 3.1 miles (intervals)

40.1/75 miles

Today was a really stressful day. I ended up going to the track with my husband and running intervals while he did c25k week 6 day 3. It was hard, but I really needed it and I was glad I got it done. The temp was 58°F, but a 20 mph norrh wind made it seem much colder.

I'm over half way to my goal this month. Hopefully I will be able to get all my runs in Christmas week. I will probably have to do some rearranging of my schedule.

exercise.png

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn snow I'll run in but slush no way.
    @ceciliaslater you got this.
    @BruinsGal_91 only thing I can't think of better than a half marathon on the vineyard is 9 wins out of 11 for those B's How we liking Tuka Task now?
    @RespectTheKitty while I love the runs in the outside air, I don't see the treadmill as the instrument of Satan others On this post do. It can be boring but I appreciate the pace being set and that you can have a conistent uphill run if you desire.
    On a personal note, I've gotten a little gun shy about my winter runs. Last year I would go out and not even consider the ice and snow and potential for slipping or falling but this year the fear is definately in play. I was able to run later this am due to a doctor's appointment and it was big difference running with the sunshine. Trying to get in an 8 tomorrow and hoping for at least 12 on Saturday. On the upside, it looking like my best month since my marathon. Hoping for full on 10k training in January.

exercise.png

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty @cburke8909 I am not ashamed to say I love my treadmill. And at this time of year it gets a lot of use. I've had a couple of scary encounters with black ice, so I'm more than happy to stick some sport on the TV and crank out the miles in my basement.

Tuukka had a bit of a shaky start this season but he's looking pretty good now. It's my husband's birthday tomorrow and I've got tickets to watch the B's play the Rangers on Saturday night.