Less alcohol-December 2017-one day at a time

Replies

• thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    edited December 2017
    Late to this challenge but following the thread with interest - also have been reducing alcohol intake overall since September 2017 but December has proven difficult at times for me with all the work-related holiday parties for networking reasons I feel obliged to go to (and drink at). It's a challenge for sure! My goal is to limit intake during the week nights to 1 glass of wine max (and go dry on as many nights as possible), with maybe 2-3 glasses per night max on weekends. This weekend I plan to really drink 1 glass of wine on Friday night party, 1 drink on Saturday night's party, and no drinks on Sunday's parties (yes I have two parties on a SUNDAY, what the actual heck).

I will also be looking out for any related challenges in January as my plan is to go completely dry then.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    I went out to lunch today at Red Lobster and had a wonderful meal and some wine with my hubby. I am still under my calories and going to relax this evening with my hubby. This is kind of a slacker day, as I will have some more wine.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,305 Member
    I've been doing very well this week and last. I was thinking that normally in a seven day period, I would have had about 14 glasses of wine (2/night). For the last seven days, I've had maybe 3 or 4 total. People on this thread inspire me , and reading your goals make me think twice from pouring another glass after the first. Also for many nights, I've had just hot tea. Overall, in the last month, I've cut my intake considerably. I think my skin looks better and less puffy. I feel more energetic, and I'm sleeping better. It's all good!
  • RubyRed427
    bdbchick wrote: »
    On my 3rd day on no alcohol. I feel so much better today than I felt on monday after drinking most of the weekend. Things to remember when I feel like having more than 3 or 4 drinks.

I can relate. After a few alcohol free days, I always feel so much better! Good job!
  • MaryBethHempel
    I went out to lunch today at Red Lobster and had a wonderful meal and some wine with my hubby. I am still under my calories and going to relax this evening with my hubby. This is kind of a slacker day, as I will have some more wine.

Wow!! I stuck to my plan....I didn't have any wine last night.
  • MaryBethHempel
    bdbchick wrote: »
    On my 3rd day on no alcohol. I feel so much better today than I felt on monday after drinking most of the weekend. Things to remember when I feel like having more than 3 or 4 drinks.

I can relate. After a few alcohol free days, I always feel so much better! Good job!

I cannot relate yet....I haven't had any alcohol free days in a while. I am glad that you both posted this as it encourages me to consider a few alcohol free days. I have cut down to one to two drinks a day from a bottle or more for a couple of weeks now. Do you have any wisdom, besides feeling better, that can help me get my mind prepared?
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    I did have wine last night after an alcohol free night. I didn't have too much but did feel rather headachy so it definitely has an affect. No alcohol tonight and will be careful over the weekend as it is French-themed with friends so could be tricky! This time of year is always hard!I am finding everyone's posts very inspiring.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    I'm following this thread closely. I need to limit/cut my wine consumption considerably. For me it's no longer stress but possibly boredom. I have many interests and need to switch focus to those instead of wine consumption. No wine yesterday, will try no wine today. Appreciate reading everyone's posts.
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    @MaryBethHempel -- that is great! :)
  • izzygone
    izzygone Posts: 8 Member
    I'm running a little behind for alcohol-free December... I had a good streak going, then my company's holiday party happened, then we had two stressful days at work and decided to go out after work to loosen up... Last night was a good reminder to get back on the sober train after one of my coworkers went to the hospital after the party... She'll be okay but yikes!! So the rest of the month, staying alcohol free will be a priority.
  • MaryBethHempel
    @MaryBethHempel -- that is great! :)

THank you! I did it!!! I woke up early around two and layed in my bed praying, thinking, and listening to my husband snore. LOL! I finally got up around 3:30 so I have a long day in front of me. Feeling good that I had no alcohol yesterday. I will work on it again today. I was a bit discouraged because I gained a lb., but maybe it was too early to weigh? Have a blessed day! :)
  • RubyRed427
    Damn! I had three glasses of wine last night- I should have never bought that bottle of Pinot Noir. Learned a lesson- today I have a small headache. Slept poorly because of it as well. Disappointed in myself a little bit, but I'll try again today.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Damn! I had three glasses of wine last night- I should have never bought that bottle of Pinot Noir. Learned a lesson- today I have a small headache. Slept poorly because of it as well. Disappointed in myself a little bit, but I'll try again today.

I'm in the same boat. I had 3 glasses of chardonnay last night and I'm not happy with myself now. I too, will try it again today.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    I am spending some time in France so it will be tricky. No point in giving up completely!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    I’ve been doing terrible this month in terms of dry days. we’ve had parties and social events almost daily and I’m kind of giving up until Jan
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    [Almost] Another successful work week of no beer; I just have to make it through Friday evening. My waist line, energy levels, and mood is thanking me. I have a new routine that I think is working well. Can't say I'm doing nearly as well with my Red Bull habit tho... Tomorrow is finally Saturday, and I can enjoy Henry's Hard Sparkling.
  • RubyRed427
    Alpha12 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. I had 3 glasses of chardonnay last night and I'm not happy with myself now. I too, will try it again today.

Thanks for the note:) Made me smile and realize we all have ups and downs. I'm also sitting here wanting to open a bottle of wine. But i think I'll make some tea instead... this thread is so great. Very motivating to know we are all in this together.
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    I’ve been doing terrible this month in terms of dry days. we’ve had parties and social events almost daily and I’m kind of giving up until Jan

I totally know how you feel. I started a no Red Bull challenge as well, and it is not going well. I think I've refrained on 2 days :neutral: . Don't give up though, some dry days are better than none!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    julie3461 wrote: »

I totally know how you feel. I started a no Red Bull challenge as well, and it is not going well. I think I've refrained on 2 days :neutral: . Don't give up though, some dry days are better than none!

Totally! My comment actually got cut off for some reason. I’m definitely not giving up until Jan - just going to be more realistic w all the social stuff. Love this motivation of the thread though!
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    @crazykatlady820: Congratulations! Day 64, that is wonderful. <3
  • RubyRed427
    Did well last night. Had only hot, peach tea. DIdn't open the bottle of PInot Noir that was calling to me. Feeling energetic today. Happy Saturday !
  • RubyRed427
    I've been drinking heavily almost daily for over a year. I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes 4 days ago :)

You can do this! Bravo! Four days is a lot after a year of daily drinking. I bet you feel and look better :)
  • RubyRed427
    edited December 2017
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    Did well last night. Had only hot, peach tea. DIdn't open the bottle of PInot Noir that was calling to me. Feeling energetic today. Happy Saturday !
    Wow! 2 days without wine or any alcohol....and my body is accepting it very well. I am so pleased!

You rock, ladies! I didn't have any wine last night either and I'm feeling great this morning! It's sunny and gorgeous here today and I'm getting ready to go out for a very long walk with DH. We usually walk for about 2-3 hours and get about 13-15K steps in. Happy Saturday indeed! :)

Great job too! Really makes a difference not having a headache on Saturdays ! Enjoy the long walk in the beautiful sun!