Less alcohol-December 2017-one day at a time

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Well, yesterday didn't turn out to be first alcohol-free day. However, it was a very LOW alcohol day compared to usual, and I was up and running and feeling good today. So glad to have found this thread and such positive, non-judgmental people. Something I've found that is very surprisingly delicious is iced tea brewed as recommended by a brew-master on the Splendid Table podcast from NPR. Just Google "Splendid Table iced tea" and you can listen to his 4-minute explanation. It results in the best, non-bitter, "non-bite" iced tea ever. I've found myself wanting that instead of wine at some times, which is worth it. It has also broken my Diet Coke in the a.m. habit. The tea is so much more yummy. You can use any kind of tea. I even use decaf. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone. MaryBeth, you seem to have a good handle on the wine!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring posts here since I last checked in. I am restarting. I am still happy enough with myself. I wanted an alcohol- free Christmas, but I settled for less overall.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No alcohol for me yesterday on Christmas Day, but I did have wine on Christmas Eve. I am going for no wine today. One day at a time. Good luck to all!
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Welp i drank too much this holiday. I already plan on going completely booze free next month. Hoping to be booze free on new years. I won't be going out so there is a good chance i'll be in bed by 9pm.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    My new friend I found on this thread recommended the book This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. I downloaded first 40 pages for free. And also went on the author's youtube channel. She says that a lot of our issues are from our subconscious mind. I recommend you google this @bdbchick for some inspiration. I drank more than I wanted over the last few days. You're not alone:) I have a neighborhood party to go to on New Year's Eve and these people party hard. I'm worried about myself. I'll just do the best I can to not overdo it.
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    My new friend I found on this thread recommended the book This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. I downloaded first 40 pages for free. And also went on the author's youtube channel. She says that a lot of our issues are from our subconscious mind. I recommend you google this @bdbchick for some inspiration. I drank more than I wanted over the last few days. You're not alone:) I have a neighborhood party to go to on New Year's Eve and these people party hard. I'm worried about myself. I'll just do the best I can to not overdo it.

Thank you! I will certainly have to take a look at it.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Well I was naughty Christmas Day and Boxing Day but know I drank less than previous years so minor result. I Managed to wake up hangover free on both days. Next few days will be a challenge as visiting relatives and friends but I will be careful. This is a great thread :-)
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve and Christmas I had drinks....actually many!! Christmas...no exercise, besides walking my dog. Gained 2 Lbs. and back to routines yesterday. Boy, I really had to push myself to exercise...No alcohol yesterday and I lost one of those pounds today. I felt toxic from drinking those two days, so I am more motivated to go free of alcohol for the majority of the time.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you're all having a great day full of festive goodness! Go easy on yourselves today and just do the best you can!

This is my first sober Christmas (and Christmas Eve and Christmas Eve eve) probably ever (as an adult of course haha!). And it's nice. I can't remember what day I'm on...75ish I think (Same as my current MFP streak.), but at this point I don't miss alcohol anymore. I think the first month was the hardest, but now I'm in the habit of not drinking and I don't mind one bit. I'm not going to find happiness at the bottom of that glass.

This decision is the best one for me and my life because I'm actually living my life again and my health is improving so much!

Wow, very impressive! I am considering abstinence.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    FREE of alcohol yesterday...lost the weight that I gained for Christmas, plus 1 more pound, so I am excited. That is 9 lbs. weight loss for December.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Went out with friends to lunch, museum and dinner over the course of the day. Drank a bottle of wine I imagine when I add it up. The day before no alcohol. I've identified my weakness is when I'm out with friends who are drinking , then I drink too. When I'm home cozy and warm, I am content, and I don't feel the need to drink. I really have to do a better job managing myself when I do go out in 2018. @MaryBethHempel I think I need to try abstinence, too. I cannot seem to modify my behavior , when I am out with friends who drink like fish. Great job @crazykatlady820 . I hope you keep it going. It's just no fun to be sluggish and tired the next day after drinking. I'm so impressed with you.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am just popping in to do my post-holiday check in. So great to see so many good things happening in this thread! I am happy to report that I survived the in-laws with very little alcohol. Although I kind of overdid it a tad on Tuesday after they all were gone (3 glasses of wine and a bourbon), but that has been the most I have drank in a while. I feels great to be waking up in the mornings without feeling the effects of having drank too much the night before. I had been doubting whether or not I had the ability to maintain control over my alcohol consumption and I am feeling pretty pleased with how well it is going. I am still contemplating the dry January though. I think it would be a good way to kick off the year.

@crazykatlady820 - Amazing job. You are inspiring a lot of us here, I believe.

@MaryBethHempel- Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @lporter229: Great job! :)

@JulieAL1969 --- everything is relative when it comes to drinking, isn't it? I have some good family friends that I would describe as a "hard-drinking crowd," i.e., cracking open the alcohol on a regular basis before 11am when everyone is together. Luckily, day drinking doesn't work for me (just puts me to sleep). It's easy for me to say "no thanks" in that environment, while everyone is on their third drink. Whereas, in my husband's immediate family, no one drinks (Including my husband). Compared to them, I'm considered "the drinker in the family," because I have 2 glasses of wine in one sitting, like in the evening. :o
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969, You and I have opposite problems. For some crazy reason, it is easy for me not to drink or to drink just a little when I'm out in a social situation with drinks. Socializing keeps me occupied. When I'm at home and bored or just want to relax, THEN I can drink a bottle of wine without even thinking about it. I don't know what the answer for me is, but I think a dry January will be a good place to start and maybe get some perspective. I do think that if "it" (alcohol/drinking) takes up this much of my consciousness, probably best to leave it behind. But that is so easier said than done. Arggh. Wish I could be one of those people who has a drink occasionally when offered and then thinks no more about it. But I am not that person.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @donimfp You sound just like me. I'm going for a dry January too. I like wine, I'm sure it will be challenging but it needs to happen. Has there been a continuation thread for this started yet for January? I've just been lurking and enjoying everyone's inspiring posts!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    For some crazy reason, it is easy for me not to drink or to drink just a little when I'm out in a social situation with drinks. Socializing keeps me occupied.

This describes me exactly. I'm not very a very social person but when I socialize, I never drink any alcohol. No particular reason, just don't feel like it. I noticed however, that when I'm home alone just with my hubby, I like to relax, read, watch a good movie, have a good conversation and enjoy a bottle of wine - by myself. Hubby doesn't drink at all but doesn't mind if I do, mostly because I'm what they call a "happy drunk". I handle alcohol well and I don't show much evidence of having consumed a bottle of wine by myself. I'm just more relaxed and happy. I tend to internalize things and maybe wine has become my crutch to shrug things off. I realize all this and know that limiting drinking probably won't work for me. Unfortunately, I'll all-or-nothing kind of a girl. This is why I'm going for dry January - starting on Dec 31st. I want to wake up on Jan 1 feeling rested and energized.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been said already (didn't see it on the last two pages of the thread) but has a January thread been created yet? I ran a search but nothing came up.