Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Back"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Question for @gam3rguy : I want to do the Spartan Trifecta in 2018; however, the first Florida sprint of the year is in February in Miami. Money will still be tight since this is right after my daughter's wedding, it's difficult to take time off of work in February because we're still in our busy season. That leaves me doing the sprint and super in April. The super is on Saturday and the sprint is on Sunday. How doable is this? Keep in mind that I don't feel awful after the shorter OCRs. In fact, after the last one, I came home, showered, and went to work, and I was fine. I was a little tender the next day, especially my ankle, but nothing bad.

I just don't know how much harder a Spartan race is compared to the other races I've done.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,937 Member
    Options
    Prepping for a 2018 January fat loss challenge.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    500km on the bike in december, last time i would have done that would have been 41years ago :o
  • joyhoffman9340
    joyhoffman9340 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Joining up. 46 years young with a 9 and 7 year old. Getting in shape so I don’t die walking around Disney in mid February. Lol. That’s my short term. Long term is hoping to get rid of about 50 to 60 extra pounds to avoid diabetes. Currently 5’6”, 205. Goal 145 - 150lbs. Currently tracking all food and trying for 30 - 45 min on the elliptical each day.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Question for @gam3rguy : I want to do the Spartan Trifecta in 2018; however, the first Florida sprint of the year is in February in Miami. Money will still be tight since this is right after my daughter's wedding, it's difficult to take time off of work in February because we're still in our busy season. That leaves me doing the sprint and super in April. The super is on Saturday and the sprint is on Sunday. How doable is this? Keep in mind that I don't feel awful after the shorter OCRs. In fact, after the last one, I came home, showered, and went to work, and I was fine. I was a little tender the next day, especially my ankle, but nothing bad.

I just don't know how much harder a Spartan race is compared to the other races I've done.

it's "doable". it all depends on the terrain, how strong you feel(you need more strength than you would a Warrior Dash)...that ankle. you could treat the sprint as a recovery from the super. there are people in my Facebook groups who double up on the same day! do you have mountains in Florida? leg strength...lots of it. there are also heavy carries...log, sandbag...Atlas stone...farmers carry...BUCKET BRIGADE! upper strength like uneven monkey bars, twister, Herc hoist, sled pull, multi-rig.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Arms"=Done!
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Goals for 2018:

Improve my cardio endurance. This should be easy because right now I have none. Lol

Increase my deadlift to 300 lbs from current 270
    Improve my clean/jerk to 50 kg

Actually be able to do a snatch. 25kg would be great there.

Lose more fat, keep adding muscle. Get into to 72kg weight class.

Do one dang pull-up.

Finish putting together my garage gym. I’d like some jerk blocks, a plate rack, and a dumbbell stand.

Happy and Healthy New Year to you all!

muhwmov8qf6y.jpeg

• BettyM1017
    edited December 2017
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »

it's "doable". it all depends on the terrain, how strong you feel(you need more strength than you would a Warrior Dash)...that ankle. you could treat the sprint as a recovery from the super. there are people in my Facebook groups who double up on the same day! do you have mountains in Florida? leg strength...lots of it. there are also heavy carries...log, sandbag...Atlas stone...farmers carry...BUCKET BRIGADE! upper strength like uneven monkey bars, twister, Herc hoist, sled pull, multi-rig.

That is exactly what I needed to know!

Any hills here are manmade. I'll keep working my hill sprints on a nearby bridge but increase the number over the next few months. Our terrain is sandy...everywhere. I've been wanting to add some beach runs into the routine anyway, this will just be a good excuse.

My overall strength is good right now, but I know it's time to increase the weights.

On the plus side, I still have 4 months to train, Spartan has a ton of really good training videos available, and I'm going on vacation after the races, lol!

Last but not least, please tell me you've seen older women doing this crazy stuff!! I'd hate to think I'm the only one!
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track. Ran 2 miles on the treadmill for the 2nd day in a row. Getting back to Stronglifts tomorrow.
  • gam3rguy
    Options

That is exactly what I needed to know!

Any hills here are manmade. I'll keep working my hill sprints on a nearby bridge but increase the number over the next few months. Our terrain is sandy...everywhere. I've been wanting to add some beach runs into the routine anyway, this will just be a good excuse.

My overall strength is good right now, but I know it's time to increase the weights.

On the plus side, I still have 4 months to train, Spartan has a ton of really good training videos available, and I'm going on vacation after the races, lol!

Last but not least, please tell me you've seen older women doing this crazy stuff!! I'd hate to think I'm the only one!

LOL! "older" is just a number, but I see all ages. I saw a woman on Facebook, I think 64...completed a BEAST! and why not be the only one? why not be the one to inspire others? lets go show them young'uns up!

if it makes you feel any better...I just signed up for the BONEFROG Tier-1 challenge. it's like a Spartan Sprint and Super back to back!!! 9+ miles...50+ obstacles!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Good day kids, I couldn't get a parking space for Boot camp today since the gym opened late, so Hot Pilates it is. The beauty of working out at 4 a.m. tomorrow, it will be PLENTY of spaces. Welcome newbies. Have a great day ahead.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Shoulders"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    10 min. Ab chisel. Because rainbows and unicorns! BOOYAH!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    “Body Beast: Bulk Rest”=Done! :p
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    “Body Beast: Bulk Rest”=Done! :p

Please. You don't know the meaning of rest! I'm certain you did something amazing.
  • emmayou069
    emmayou069 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just turned 48 last month. Would love to join this group.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Looking for some new app suggestions. I was using the Stronglift 5x5 app. Want to try something new this year. Most of the apps I’ve checked out seem to lure you in and then want to charge you a monthly fee. What’s everyone using?
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Cool Kids! Well, after almost 2 weeks of doing NOTHING the scale is reinforcing how much I need to start moving again. Thankfully, the temps have warmed up a bit today (yes, only just today) and are forecasting them dropping again by tomorrow. Ugh. Back to the gym I go.