WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,138 Member
    Options
    Given that most of you won't have read back in December (thanks Barbara) I'm carrying on my new afternoon exercise session commitment by buying some new running shoes (New Balance) a phone/key/money belt and some running earphones with ear hooks. :o:D I am sooooooo not a runner, but the stuff will come in handy whatever becomes of my new venture. My knee seems ok at rest so far, so I'm hoping for good things. I'm not logging the afternoon session, so it will be a nice boost to my CICO.
    For those who are new, I do a long exercise session every morning, but I'm still slowly gaining weight, :'( so I'm adding a walk/run session or some kettlebell swings into the afternoon. I'm hoping that will take care of the 5 lbs I've put on since maintenance and, who knows, I may end up being able to run and even liking it. :noway:
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Yes, I did the same sort of thing at the beginning of December.

I've got the shoes, the phone/key/money belt, and a whole new collection of exercise clothing.

I am not a runner either, and each time I get on the bicycle again, between runs, I fall in love with cycling all over again. It is just so much better than running! But nevertheless, running does give me more "bang for my buck". I can burn more calories and get a better workout in a shorter period of time.

And slowly but surely, it is getting a little bit easier. I did a 3 km run on New Year's Day and when I finished, it was kind of like, "What? That's it? I'm done? Already?" ... which I took as a good sign that I am getting used to it.

Now regarding running to lose weight ... yes, apparently that can happen. In fact, that was one of the main reasons I started running at the beginning of December. My coworkers who run are as slender as can be, and I've noticed that one in particular has really slimmed down in recent months as she has started increasing her running. But for some reason, I've suddenly put on about 4 kg in December, since I started running!! :astonished: OK, I admit, I have been eating whatever I want since December 15th, but really you'd think that running, walking, and cycling all month would have off-set some of that! So I'm not quite sure what's going on.

I suspect some of it is water weight ... heat, sunburn, and exercise can all cause water retention and I've experienced all three in the last couple weeks. And some of it would be Christmas eating. The rest ... who knows. But nevertheless, I'll stick with the running (and walking and cycling) throughout January. And I'll also cut back on the eating. Hopefully I'll drop those 4 kg fairly quickly.

But I did have a bit of a "roll-eyes laugh" when I stepped on the scale and discovered that weight increase ... and I informed the scale in no uncertain terms that running was supposed to make me lose weight not gain it. But the scale didn't seem to care. :lol:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,138 Member
    Options
    mtcmarks wrote: »
    Hi, new to MFP. Want to be part of a group for motivation and accountability. I am 51 and have @40lbs to lose. How do I get added to the group?

Welcome here ... and just start posting here. You're in! :)

• dmmains
    dmmains Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I am not a runner either, and each time I get on the bicycle again, between runs, I fall in love with cycling all over again. It is just so much better than running! But nevertheless, running does give me more "bang for my buck". I can burn more calories and get a better workout in a shorter period of time.

I love cycling too. I can't bring myself to ride an exercise bike. I put my cycling on hold until the nice weather comes back. To me, there's nothing better than a nice bike ride on a nice day.

Donna in Chicago
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Donna in Chicago I laughed out loud at your Star Wars story. I can totally picture me doing that. Funny!!!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @KetoneKaren: THAT IS GORGEOUS! It was beautiful out our front window tonight also, just a bit above the neighbor's house with their Christmas lights all lit up beneath it.

Do you live on a lake? That is my dream....
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    Found 3 real silver shillings from trip to the UK in the 70s. Our external windowsills are either inaccessible or non-existent so put on the deck railing last night, and brought in this morning. ;)

Evie please keep us posted on your room progress. Moved here in September and what isn't put away is either in the garage encroaching on Joe's Man Cave, or piled up in my office. [shudder]
    Becca, there really IS something about a man in a kilt ;)
    Joyce so glad you are home from hospital What is a Google House?
    Janetr you sound kind of "stuck". Been there and it stinks. Someone on this thread suggested micro-actions. That helps me get unstuck and feel better. Is there one micro-action you could do right now?
    Sharon I am so with you re: Cilantro, Brussels sprouts and kohlrabi. Greysyn truly sounds exceptional, and Keira so very bright. So glad they're in your life.
    Viv You sure had your hands full! How old is Grandson with pneumonia?
    Karen in Va Love "Pluck"!

Times up, time to play with Tumble.

Mindful Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new ladies!

We are watching CFB playoff games this evening. Our Sooners have started strong, here’s hoping they can keep it up!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

It was a great game. Don’t hate me for being happy the Dawgs came out on top.

• LisaB12303
    LisaB12303 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Happy New Year! My name is Lisa and I'm 51 years old. I live in CT. Looking to get back to a healthy state of mind in 2018. Hoping that this group will help keep me accountable.

January 2018 Goals
    1. 3 Sessions at OTF/week (Orangetheory Fitness)
    2. 3 PiYo Sessions/week
    3. Track Food - stop skipping meals!
    4. Track Exercise
    5. Donate clothing
    6. Declutter/Rent Dumpster
    7. Meditate Every Evening
    8. Minimum 6 hours sleep/night.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)