What was/is your experience with the Ketogenic diet?

Hey hey MFPals.

I'm interested in the Keto diet and would really like to see what people who have tried it or ARE trying it, have to say.

I've read that with a calorie deficit, no matter what diet you choose, you'll lose weight. I want to try the Keto diet because I was diagnosed with PCOS and it's supposedly a good diet for insulin resistance (my blood sugar without treatment is excellent, but I'm told I am insulin resistant anyway - *shrugs*).

Knowledge, advice/tips, even personal opinions (gasp!) are appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• NaeJayKay
    NaeJayKay Posts: 14 Member
    avasahka wrote: »
    Hi there! I’m not exactly doing keto, but my program is close! It’s a medical weight loss clinic under doctor supervision, and it calls for a major calorie deficit and also eating mostly protein with some healthy fats (no carbs and no sugar). It’s worked really well for my fiancé and me. He’s lost 55 lbs in 7 weeks, and I’ve lost 30!

More importantly, I have PCOS and only had 5 periods in the past 4 years when we started the program. I couldn’t tolerate metformin at all, and I was feeling helpless. But since starting the program, I’ve had my period twice— 27 days apart! I personally don’t think I would have been able to do keto without my man doing it with me, and also weekly check-ins with the clinic. I’ve definitely struggled through it, but it’s been absolutely worth it!

If you're okay with it, add me. I'd love to chat!
  • Merrysailor5
    Merrysailor5 Posts: 1,424 Member
    I did Keto for about 6 months. I lost a good bit of weight. But, I'm sure it was from my intake being accounted for accurately. But, I did feel good after the initial "Keto Flu" period. Like I had no ups or downs the way I do with a lot of carbs. Since then I've adjusted to a more sustainable diet, still with a lower amount of carbs, but carbs nonetheless.

As Chestinator mentioned, if you have a sweettooth, you're going to have to get creative with your foods. I had many recipes for low-carb sweets.
  • NaeJayKay
    KateTii wrote: »
    I've lost weight calorie counting and i've lost weight calorie counting eating keto. Either way, it was my calorie balance that was the reason I lost the weight - but I do find keto more filling, satisfying and better for my recomp/muscle building goals.

I don't have any 'reason' to do Keto, I just enjoy the food and how it makes me feel. It's worth a try, but personally I would recommend a beginner do plain calorie counting first to learn the basics, and then try keto, as it requires a lot of attention to macro ratios, micronutrients etc.

Yeah, I've heard that Keto keeps you feeling full. That might be a good enough reason to try it! :)
  • Merrysailor5
    Merrysailor5 Posts: 1,424 Member
    NaeJayKay wrote: »
    KateTii wrote: »
    I've lost weight calorie counting and i've lost weight calorie counting eating keto. Either way, it was my calorie balance that was the reason I lost the weight - but I do find keto more filling, satisfying and better for my recomp/muscle building goals.

I don't have any 'reason' to do Keto, I just enjoy the food and how it makes me feel. It's worth a try, but personally I would recommend a beginner do plain calorie counting first to learn the basics, and then try keto, as it requires a lot of attention to macro ratios, micronutrients etc.

Yeah, I've heard that Keto keeps you feeling full. That might be a good enough reason to try it! :)

Yes, it's because it's a very high fat diet. Fats keep you feeling fuller longer.
  • NaeJayKay
    I did Keto for about 6 months. I lost a good bit of weight. But, I'm sure it was from my intake being accounted for accurately. But, I did feel good after the initial "Keto Flu" period. Like I had no ups or downs the way I do with a lot of carbs. Since then I've adjusted to a more sustainable diet, still with a lower amount of carbs, but carbs nonetheless.

As Chestinator mentioned, if you have a sweettooth, you're going to have to get creative with your foods. I had many recipes for low-carb sweets.

I've heard other people say the same thing. Definitely makes me want to give it a try.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I have not done keto, but these groups have a lot of information about low carb and keto diets:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Also, there is a group for women with PCOS, lots of info in there about experiences with dietary interventions and medications:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Hello!

I have friends who have been successful with using keto. I also have friends that weren’t. I fall into the latter group. It wasn’t the right fit for me. I’d strongly advise following the above links and joining the Low Carber group. So many experienced folk to help guide you along the way.

Cheers!!