girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270

What are your goals for this next year?
    Major goal - run an off-road Marathon June 23rd
    Minor goals - get back on my bike and do at least one 50 mile 2 day cycle
    get back into dancing - both Shag and Lindy
    Do at least one activity-related break away from home

Kx365 - I am signed up for this challenge, a minimum of 1km per day, with a total goal (as this is my registration number from last year) of 1150 miles covered however possible.

Where do you want to be a year from now?
    Have lost the last 20lbs OR fit into a size down in clothing.
    I'd like to eat more plant-based and expand my diet away from meat
    Have rationalised my alcohol consumption so just the one or two drinks doesn't become three or four of an evening.

How do you see your training evolving?
    My focus will be on regular Crossfit twice a week, and starting marathon training in February.
    Following the marathon I want to get back into open-water swimming, but I can't do it all.

January stats

1/1 4.6 mile walk around an estuary/decommissioned nuclear power station with friends - less muddy than the NYE walk I did but not by much!!!

notes -

just been skimming through the TEN pages already filled in....TEN!!!!

cold fingers - I get Reynauds, but I am finding that if I keep my WRISTS warm, this helps with my fingers
    @eponine1984 congratulations!!!

pain - I was reading about pain and injuries. Pain is fine (reasonable pain) during and after a run. Pain the following morning is NOT good.

Races -
    24th Feb - Night Run 10k ????
    10th March - Larmer 10 (miles)
    18th March - Forest of Dean Spring Half Marathon
    5th May - Brecon Beacons Trail HM ??????
    12th May - The OX HM ??????
    23rd June - Giant's Head Marathon
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Happy New Year to all my fellow runners!

November and December were a bit of a wash-out for me running wise. But I'm raring to go in 2018. My goals are:

1. to run at least one road race a month (I did this last year and it was a whole lot of fun). I'm already registered for races in January (10k), February (5k) and May (HM).

2. Run a total of 1,000 miles in 2018.

3. Run two half-marathons.

4. Get new PBs (this could be tricky; I got new PBs in 5k, 10k, and HM last year but I think I'm getting to the age where I start slowing down rather than speeding up).

5. Place in my age-group - again I had a stellar year last year and got a top 3 age-group finish eight times (I've been running for about 12 years and up until last year, I had never come anywhere close to placing.)

Today's temperature was 3 deg F when I left the house this morning. Yeah, damn right tonight's run will be on the treadmill.
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A new Year and New Beginnings!... In for 40 miles.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »
    Finished out the last two days of 2017 with an epic 15 miler (for me, anyway) through the snow and over a mountain, followed by a longer than expected 6.8 mi run the next morning.
    @hjeppley Those pictures and elevation profile looked challenging and fun. Awesome way to end 2017.
    That's a very impressive 2018 Event List you have built up.
    @skippygirlsmom I agree that the full moon makes for a fantastic night run experience, no need for a headlamp. Ironically this is prime season for bathing suit sales here in the Frozen North, all those people escaping to Mexico/Cuba/Dominican for some sun and surf. US based chains don't understand that concept as they base there data on national averages not regional. It's also the start of BBQ replacement season as the older BBQ's start to fail in the cold temps.
    @MizCrys323 Welcome to the running gang, lots of support, encouragement and understanding from this group as we have " Been There Done That " so we understand the challenges and accomplishments.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, I was Emailing back and forth with my coach over the weekend, about goals for 2018. With my race goal, I was asking him what I should put in for the 4th race for me. He says the MN Voyageur 50. Ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with this idea and the course.

It's basically doing my first trail marathon twice. It's late July, so it can get pretty hot, for Minnesota (like 85F/29C) and last year it was really rough just running the second half last year.

However, it was also Scott Jurek's first ultra and it's only an hour and a half from home. plus, despite being a killer course, it's actually really beautiful. It's a 14 hour cut off so I'd have to be scooting pretty fast, but I think I would be more prepared this time, since I won't be running another race 4 weeks prior. A lot to think about. Coach has 2 first place finishes at Voyageur, plus second place last year, so he does know the course... Like I said, a lot to think about.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, fell short In Dec by 10 miles. Just too darn cold and dark! I don't have access to a treadmill right now (loathe them anyway) but I do have an elliptical I can use, so I may have to count that. I've gathered some cold weather running gear, but It has to get past 10 degrees before I'm trying it out!

January goal - 35 miles

Bossymom15
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Goal for January is 30 miles.
    Total: 1 mile
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Woke up this morning to -9 degrees F out there. Welcome to Chiberia! I did see a woman out running on my way to work. Again, that's just not my cup of tea so I'll be huffing it on the mill again later today. I've been incorporating more incline work into my TM runs to get my heart rate up a bit more. That's actually pretty fun.

Only problem with TM runs is I don't get to see any moose. Wait, I live near Chicago. There are no moose here. Maybe I should get a toy moose and stick it on the TM so I can say I saw a moose while running.

There are YouTube channels that show FPV movies of like train rides and the like. You could find one of them in Moose Country and watch that while you dreadmill it.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Setting my goal at 60 for this month. I finished December at 53.1 miles, thanks to a cold and several consecutive unplanned rest days to finish out the month. 60 miles should be very doable for me. I plan to increase my distance per run some this month (instead of doing 5K each run). Just taking it nice and easy!