Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Those little debbie brownies. I had one in my lunch a few times a week as a kid- I tried one recently and was like "uuuuuuum, did it always taste like that??!!"
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    non fat aspartame sweetened yogurt (and ice cream), equal in my coffee, diet sodas, and 'fat free' baked goods. I now prefer low or full fat yogurt with fruit or honey, coffee with no sweeter or a dash of agave, and sparkling water with essence or a twist. I rarely eat baked goods, but if I do, they're with fat and they're delicious and usually home made. I eat far less sugar now that I dropped all the fake sugar, its like I regained my ability to taste sweetness so a little goes a long way whereas before if I used sugar in my coffee I'd need 3 packets to 'taste' it.

i also used to eat frozen yogurt for lunch, as the only thing I'd eat. Now I eat real food and save froyo for an occasional summer treat.
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Those little debbie brownies. I had one in my lunch a few times a week as a kid- I tried one recently and was like "uuuuuuum, did it always taste like that??!!"

I used to bake brownies on the regular and add ice cream and have a big glass of milk... so good. Haven't done that in months
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Pretty much just Pop-Tarts. Not worth the Calories. I supposed I could eat them as dessert some night I have the room (or don't care) Calorie-wise, but probably not worth having them sit around for however long.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

Store bought ready made brownies are ALL GROSS! I used to love them as a kid. The home baked ones (from a box mix) are ten times better and I could eat half a pan if I made them. So I don't make them. And if the kids make them I tell them to hurry up and eat them all before I do. ha ha
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cereal in years. I would go through 3-4 boxes a week.
    Can't remember the last time I had fast food.
    Can't remember the last time I had soda.
    Little Debbie snack cakes and Pop tarts were also a staple that I probably haven't had in 8years or so.
    I don't miss any of those foods.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I dont think Ive cut anything out all together, but there's stuff I used to consume a lot of and hardly do anymore.
    1: coffee Creamer, used to have to have 2-3 tbsp of sweet creamer in my cup of coffee, now I almost always drink it black
    2:cheese-I used to put cheese and a lot of it, and everything, now its only on like a sandwich or grilled cheese
    3:chips- I am a chipaholic, I love them, I can sit and eat a whole bag, so not when I do eat them, I like the jalapeno veggie straws, so I eat a serving of those
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Basa... and I eat everything. Raw egg on rice, kimchi and even escargot, but please, no more Basa fish.

I had to look up Basa, never heard of it before. I thought maybe it was the equivalent of tilapia, which is the most bland, mushy, disgusting fish-like thing I've ever eaten. And I love fish - but preferably raw and on top of rice balls with some wasabi and soy.

But not tilapia. I stopped eating it, but it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread anyway because it's titled "Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating.

Tilapia is passable if made into fish salad (like chicken salad) or maybe fish tacos, although I like swai better for these (another cheap, mushy, but slightly less bland fish that otherwise isn't great)..but yeah, it pretty much sucks if not chopped up and smushed into mayo and seasonings.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ...You mentioned cereal, I never eat it for breakfast anymore since it doesn't keep me full very long unless I eat 500 cals worth. But I do have it as a late night snack several times a week. I can weigh out 1 or 1.5 servings in milk, and it's something sweet and crunchy when I'm snacky. And I don't need it to keep me full since I'm going to bed in an hour...

Cereal all by itself (cereal & milk) just creates a big ol' empty hole in my stomach an hour or so later. Not satiating at all. Sit me down with a box of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal and a "serving" is the entire box! Yum. Not saying I never do that anymore, but not very often.

I do like fiber/bran type cereals (like Fiber One) mixed in with my Greek yogurt, though - I do that almost every morning. One serving is only 60 calories and it adds some bulk and crunch to the yogurt, which makes it more satiating to me.

Fiber One and Greek Yogurt is a daily staple for me. Replaced what used to be chips and candy in the afternoon.

AKA my almost daily breakfast.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ...You mentioned cereal, I never eat it for breakfast anymore since it doesn't keep me full very long unless I eat 500 cals worth. But I do have it as a late night snack several times a week. I can weigh out 1 or 1.5 servings in milk, and it's something sweet and crunchy when I'm snacky. And I don't need it to keep me full since I'm going to bed in an hour...

Cereal all by itself (cereal & milk) just creates a big ol' empty hole in my stomach an hour or so later. Not satiating at all. Sit me down with a box of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal and a "serving" is the entire box! Yum. Not saying I never do that anymore, but not very often.

I do like fiber/bran type cereals (like Fiber One) mixed in with my Greek yogurt, though - I do that almost every morning. One serving is only 60 calories and it adds some bulk and crunch to the yogurt, which makes it more satiating to me.

Fiber One and Greek Yogurt is a daily staple for me. Replaced what used to be chips and candy in the afternoon.

AKA my almost daily breakfast.

Similar to mine: Greek yogurt and a 1/2 serving of Whole Grain Total crumbled on top like granola
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Count me in for the no cereal crowd. I always want more if I eat a serving, and I am always hungry again soon after. I've tried it as yogurt mix-ins, but the lack of significant protein makes that goal a bit more work to meet than if I just had a protein- and fiber- enriched food bar crumbled into the yogurt.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I try steering clear of pizza as much as possible lol It is my biggest trigger food. Just the cheese and topping though I can do without the crust. Cheese is my weakness
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Nothing. I just eat more of some things and less of others. In the last 6 years I've learned more about nutrition and make an effort to eat good food, but I still eat all the foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweet cereals years ago. I used to eat them all the time and now the only time I do is when we have house guests that leave leftovers. It's weird but I really don't remember when or why. I do sometimes wonder if I had a bowl of Cocoa Puffs if I'd still even like it. I'm almost afraid to try it and possibly ruin that memory.

As for whether you should add them back or not, I have no idea. Why do you want to add them back?
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »
    non fat aspartame sweetened yogurt (and ice cream), equal in my coffee, diet sodas, and 'fat free' baked goods. I now prefer low or full fat yogurt with fruit or honey, coffee with no sweeter or a dash of agave, and sparkling water with essence or a twist. I rarely eat baked goods, but if I do, they're with fat and they're delicious and usually home made. I eat far less sugar now that I dropped all the fake sugar, its like I regained my ability to taste sweetness so a little goes a long way whereas before if I used sugar in my coffee I'd need 3 packets to 'taste' it.

i also used to eat frozen yogurt for lunch, as the only thing I'd eat. Now I eat real food and save froyo for an occasional summer treat.

I have recently been thinking of going from diet soda to regular soda. I do not drink soda much on a regular basis, maybe 2-3 times per week. I am sure the calories will not make a big difference to me anyway. I will try it out for a while and go from the
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Pretty much just Pop-Tarts. Not worth the Calories. I supposed I could eat them as dessert some night I have the room (or don't care) Calorie-wise, but probably not worth having them sit around for however long.

I stopped buying pop tarts. I could never eat one and they just made me hungrier. I did buy into the hype from a post on here and bought the pumpkin pop tarts but they were so sweet that I have them away.
  • OhMsDiva
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I gave up sweet cereals years ago. I used to eat them all the time and now the only time I do is when we have house guests that leave leftovers. It's weird but I really don't remember when or why. I do sometimes wonder if I had a bowl of Cocoa Puffs if I'd still even like it. I'm almost afraid to try it and possibly ruin that memory.

As for whether you should add them back or not, I have no idea. Why do you want to add them back?

It is not that I necessarily want to add them back. I am just trying to find the balance between eating healthier and enjoying foods that I liked. Like I mentioned, I have not had them in years. I probably had not even eaten any in years before I started losing weight so I do not miss the that much. It was just a thought I had (have).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »

It is not that I necessarily want to add them back. I am just trying to find the balance between eating healthier and enjoying foods that I liked. Like I mentioned, I have not had them in years. I probably had not even eaten any in years before I started losing weight so I do not miss the that much. It was just a thought I had (have).

If I'd gone without it that long without missing it I'd likely put it in the "not worth the calories" category. But that's just me. :)
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Basa... and I eat everything. Raw egg on rice, kimchi and even escargot, but please, no more Basa fish.

I had to look up Basa, never heard of it before. I thought maybe it was the equivalent of tilapia, which is the most bland, mushy, disgusting fish-like thing I've ever eaten. And I love fish - but preferably raw and on top of rice balls with some wasabi and soy.

But not tilapia. I stopped eating it, but it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread anyway because it's titled "Foods that you enjoyed but stopped eating.

Tilapia is passable if made into fish salad (like chicken salad) or maybe fish tacos, although I like swai better for these (another cheap, mushy, but slightly less bland fish that otherwise isn't great)..but yeah, it pretty much sucks if not chopped up and smushed into mayo and seasonings.

I grew up eating catfish, which I learned as an adult is a bottom feeder fish, but it does not bother me. I have heard that some local restaurants replace catfish with swai. The does not bother me either because I do not know the difference. Maybe the fact that it is covered in cornmeal and deep fried makes it taste good. Idk.