"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think that even when people care about us, they can tend to say things out of jealousy - even when they don't realize it themselves. When you try hard and accomplish something like losing a ton of weight, there is going to be the part of other people that thinks, "I wish I could do that," and then they may make excuses for "why" you were able to (and they aren't). Like for instance, maybe you are doing something unhealthy, like getting too skinny. Don't listen to them, just keep doing you! Here is for all my fellow fit chicks :)https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/15_signs_that_you_are_a_fit_girl/
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight about 18 months ago. I lost 1/3 of my body weight (70 lbs) and I'm pretty short (5'3") so it shows. I got a fair amount of the "you're too skinny/don't lose any more" comments.

I honestly think people have a mental picture of who you are, and when the reality doesn't match that mental picture any more, their brains have trouble reconciling that you are, in fact, the same person. I felt that some people began to query my ability to do my job for just a millisecond, when my job has nothing to do with my physical appearance, just because a small part of their brains thought I was a new person.

2 things: the comments do stop, or at least, they stop to the extent that you can roll your eyes at the hold-outs and just ignore them with confidence. As you get used to your new body, the comments seem more and more misplaced and you really do understand that it's about them and not you.

And secondly, take pleasure in your interactions with people who only know you as you are now. They don't have the hang-ups and just take you as they find you.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    They might be JEALOUS!
    Ignore, or change the subject or respond however you like but it's annoying.
    Carry on with what you are doing.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My wife hears the "too skinny" comment from her overweight buddies in the gym and tends to feel a little defensive. I tell her to just realize they are giving compliments with a little jealousy mixed in, and she should just accept them in good humor.

And anyway, she gets compliments from me all the time.
  • Xena067
    Xena067 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rw8siet94f1u.jpeg

"Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you."

On my way to reaching my -30 lbs weight loss goal with MFP, people skinny-shamed me too. It was hurtful, and hard to forget the mean comments.

At one point, I was eating a healthy lunch at work in the staff room, seated in between two women who were obese. Another woman across the table from me said, "You are too skinny! When are you going to stop? I'm WATCHING YOU."

It was humiliating.

Why didn't she address her comments to the women on either side of me?

"You are too fat! When are you going to stop? I'm WATCHING YOU."

Somehow, skinny-shaming is culturally-acceptable. But I agree with many people on this thread: deep down, the people who make those insensitive none-of-their-business comments are jealous that they haven't experienced the same weight loss success that you have. They know it takes self-discipline and effort over a long period of time, and it's easier to skinny shame you than to ask themselves why they haven't been able to muster the same dedication that you have shown to your health.

If you have a BMI and body fat percentage within the healthy range, then those skinny-shamers need to keep their comments to themselves.

And if any one of us who have experienced skinny-shaming actually did have an eating disorder, which is a serious mental health issue, would public skinny-shaming make it better or worse??

Keep your head up, and ignore the comments. The people who make those insulting statements don't know what they're taking about.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    This may be part of it too. The fatter the average American gets, the more abnormal and distressing it is for the average American to see what a normal-BMI human looks like.

I haven't read the entire thread - not much at all really - but this was my first thought. Change in perception. I talk about this with portion size when people ask me about my diet...I talk about how when I was a lad (yea, yea, i know...we walked ten miles to school uphill both ways...) how portions were very different. I remember when a 12oz coke was "large". I also remember when the Super Big Gulp came out. Today, a bottle of whatever at the corner store is 24oz. Anyway...my point is that people's perceptions of portion size have changed a lot over the last 40ish years. With that line of reasoning in my head, I have also looked at people everywhere around me as I have lost weight. I've never voiced the quoted opinion before, but I sure have thought it...what people think is a healthy weight or even acceptable weight appears to be has changed over time.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    mzbek24 wrote: »
    I get it a bit, I'm 4kg bigger than the minimum weight for my height according to bmi, and I want to maintain at around the minimum, because I have a small frame and I also want to be faster, for my running. If you feel happy with how you look at your maintenance weight and are perfectly healthy, tell them so. People like to assert their personal preferences, but I just think "Too skinny for what?" your preference? okay thanks for letting me know, but I'll be doing what I prefer, as it is my body, thank you.

You don't have a small frame. You are probably short.
  • tharsh92
    tharsh92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am female 5ft 101lb. I have been around the same weight even before this but i used to be skinny fat with my bf around 27%. Recently i started getting more serious in my gym routines and diet and my body fat went down to 20%. Alot of people around me ( family members and friends) have been commenting that i am too skinny and look very weak. But I feel the strongest and healthiest now. However their comment make me wonder whether i having some body dysmorphic disorder.
    p/s: sorry for the bad english.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'd probably give them the same amount of giving a *kitten* as I have when they tell me I'm too fat.
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had people tell me not to lose anymore weight. Have been told to put weight on. I've had men tell me that a woman under a size 14 is unattractive

I've had people ask me if I was sick. One person actually asked if I was suffering from cancer. I felt at the time that I was irrationally insulted by that question.

Now, I think it's perfectly understandable to be angry.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people think it's their right to comment on other people's weight anyway....
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I picked a goal weight right in the middle of all the "ideal weight" advice I could google up, and the first time my dad saw me he said I got scrawny lol... when I was about 10lbs from goal, a friend asked "from where??" those 10lbs would be coming. When you lose in a concerted effort, it's a huge visual change for your friends and family. I think some commentary is unavoidable, but as long as you don't make your food and diet the central topic of everything and keep a balanced lifestyle around and during your progress, you'll get less "concerned" feedback.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My theory is that the general population is overweight, so being bigger is the new norm these days. So when they see someone who isn't in the norm, they see it as someone who doesn't eat much. When I did a cut, I was told by countless people how I look sick. That's because a couple of months ago, they used to see me much more bigger. I know they mean well, but I don't listen to anyone, I just stick to my objectives and move on.
  • Ssg25
    Ssg25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, I relate so much to this post. I am 5'5" and ~109 pounds, and though I know I am underweight according to a universal BMI, I am not actually underweight. I am naturally light-boned, curveless, have tiny ankles/wrists/etc, and I do have doctors that have checked me up, blood tests done, nutritionists oversee my diet, etc, and all of them agree I am at a completely healthy weight and am doing fine, and am healthy and fit as a fiddle. I mean, I am currently trying to recomp, to go from skinny but soft to firmer and more defined, and I just keep getting so many comments (mostly from women) that I am too skinny and have "obviously lost my breasts as a prize" and that I should just stop exercising/eating healthy and "eat a burger" because "curves are in and I should get mine back".

Erm, no. If you knew back when I was 135 pounds, you would have noticed I still didn't have substantial breasts. I still had a very boyish figure. Some people have a specific body type by nature, for frick's sake, stop attacking me for it! How is it any better than me attacking you because of your muffin top?

I’m 5’5 and 110 currently, down from 140. I also have a small frame, completely healthy, but looking to gain some muscle!! I get these comments all the time, it’s so frustrating
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me all the time that im too bony and orders me to not lose any more weight. I say "ok honey" and do what I want. If your healthy and there is no medical concern with losing weight, I think you should do what you want with your own body. *kitten* what ither people say
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A few people have told me that, despite still having weight to lose. I'm in the normal weight category, definitely not skinny, so I take it as a compliment. Especially as I used to comments about how fat I was from a lot of the same people before I lost the weight.
  • jackiebridges89
    jackiebridges89 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and I'm currently trying to get build up muscle and I'm trying to stay within the 120 range at least until I start building up my muscle weight. However I am constantly getting comments saying I'm getting too skinny. Back in 2011 I was 111 lb. and people were telling me I was too skinny and 2 years later I had gained so much weight due to my birth control that I ended up gaining over 30 pounds. I worked hard and finally got rid of some of the extra weight but trying not to go back to being at 111. Why can't people just mind their own weight and stop making such uncivilized comments, I'm so tired of it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It depends how it is said. If someone says something like “you don’t need to lose any weight!” That is meant as a compliment. I wouldn’t be offended by that. I have had that said to me and it never bothered me. I know I’m not “too skinny” I can clearly see my body in the mirror. But yes it is pretty rude to tell someone they are too skinny. That’s the same as telling someone theyre fat. It’s just not their place to make that comment.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yep I had this "you look to thin, I think you should go see the doctor" it made me question myself because my mom said it and I know she means well and loves me... So yeah it did put me on a downer for a few days and I even ate a bit more for a short time and I put weight on! so theres my answer, no there's nothing wrong with me and I work hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle, workout 6 days a week and eat 3 meals a day plus healthy snacks. 5f3.5 BF 18 102lbs.