• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    c0n2d7sgx57o.png

wow...I was heading to death
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Day 7 here too. Love reading the thread. This part of the week is normal, wouldn’t usually drink until Thursday/Friday, hope that doesn’t change. Massive difference in exercise so it’s all positive change.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    No heartburn now for like 6 days, lol. That's enough reason to abstain by itself! Day 7 for me, a whole week! My weekend went by without a hitch and I'm feeling really good.

Yes! Being heartburn free is a hugely overlooked benefit!
  • MichelleRenee_76
    MichelleRenee_76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well, bombed the weekend. Starting over. This will be day 2. (As I did stay good last night even though my husband picked up some beer.) It's easier for me to not drink on Sunday, I am in the mindset that I have to work the following day. However, mid-week usually rises the challenge where I tend to not think like this. I typically like a Wednesday night drink. I ordered This Naked Mind and my husband has agreed to read it with me. Hoping that helps.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I need. Love this thread and will be watching.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I made it passed the weekend!!! Yes!!!!!

I am good with not drinking during the week my fear is the weekend and I made it through!!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm on Day 7 with wine o'clock hasn't come around. I'm very happy with my Dry January choice.

Reading This Naked Mind provides a lot of valuable information, and additional motivation. I do not agree, however, that people cannot tell the difference tasting cheap wine and good wine. But I do know from previous experiences (with short periods of leaving wine alone) that often wine I used to like doesn't taste good, at first.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yesterday- 2 coffees with amaretto around lunch at the in-laws, and a beer. Definitely stayed in control but still- it wasn't the zero drinks I had planned. Now my husband is travelling for the week and there is a huge open bottle of red on the counter. I really think I'm going to have to dump it if I want to prevent myself from having it.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    No heartburn now for like 6 days, lol. That's enough reason to abstain by itself! Day 7 for me, a whole week! My weekend went by without a hitch and I'm feeling really good.

Yes! Being heartburn free is a hugely overlooked benefit!

The heartburn is the whole reason I decided to cut back, it gets SO bad... My boyfriend never gets it so he doesn't understand at all how painful it can be.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @donimfpdonimfp One other thing about the sleeping. I have an app called Insight Timer, and it's a lifesaver when I can't sleep. I just put my phone under my pillow, plug the headphones in and pick a meditation. You can look for them by issue, such as sleep problems. Just about any will work. I can almost guarantee you will be sawing logs before the thing ends.

Wow, thank you for mentioning the app for sleep...I didn't even think about looking for apps for that...very cool!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Reading This Naked Mind provides a lot of valuable information, and additional motivation. I do not agree, however, that people cannot tell the difference tasting cheap wine and good wine. But I do know from previous experiences (with short periods of leaving wine alone) that often wine I used to like doesn't taste good, at first.[/quote]

Me too! I read that and thought ok maybe not the difference between a 20 dollar bottle and a 40 dollar bottle but good wine is amazing. I will be curious about my taste buds when dry Jan is over. I would really like to drink better quality in much smaller quantity and frequency when the month is up.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow.. so many people have joined in.

Interesting to see / know what portion is working towards more "sustainable" moderation versus abstaining completely.

Also would be interesting to see what % of people are in the process of losing weight versus maintaining and if they are working towards abstaining or sustainable moderation.

I'm definitely in the "sustainable" camp (for now anyways). Fortunately, I've never had an issue of needing to keep going once I start. I'm generally done after 1 or perhaps 2 bottles of good beer. I never make it to 3 by desire... no interest.
  • kedoyle77
    kedoyle77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing with this challenge? I started off Jan 1 wanting to go for 21 days abstaining, but have not. I have been able to cut way back, which I am proud of. I am so tired of the extra calories derailing my nutrition plans, and I hope to be able to cut out the alcohol to a point where it's a 'cheat' here and there, and not such a common habit. It's especially hard with all the locally made beers and that fun trend being everywhere now. I'd love to read your progress, and I'll chime in soon too!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    Wow.. so many people have joined in.

Interesting to see / know what portion is working towards more "sustainable" moderation versus abstaining completely.

Also would be interesting to see what % of people are in the process of losing weight versus maintaining and if they are working towards abstaining or sustainable moderation.

I'm definitely in the "sustainable" camp (for now anyways). Fortunately, I've never had an issue of needing to keep going once I start. I'm generally done after 1 or perhaps 2 bottles of good beer. I never make it to 3 by desire... no interest.

I am going for sustainable moderation, but I thought I would see if I could make it a dry January. Turns out the answer is no, but I have definitely done a much better job at the "moderation" part since joining this thread in November. I am maintaining my weight. Unlike a lot of people on this thread, I don't generally equate my alcohol consumption with weight gain, but I am extremely active and also don't tend to eat more when I drink in general.