January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 The chart was more for general reference for others. I only track on Strava. I'll probably wait for next Wednesday for wearing those shoes, I have a road run scheduled for then, and will see how they perform. I'm only really retiring them to be on the safe side. at 132# (up this morning) I can probably get decent miles from my shoes.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for the explanation. I still take exception to drivers who pull into the crosswalk and just hang out. That's unfair and rude to potential pedestrians. If they have no intention to pull out into the intersection, then they have no business blocking the crosswalk.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    My post above prompted me to google.

https://news.wgbh.org/2016/06/08/local-news/who-has-right-way-crosswalk-its-not-simple-you-think

Bottom line, not all cross walks are made equal. It depends on local laws, if there are traffic lights at the intersection, and "walk/don't walk" lights. But when no lights are present at the intersection, the law (at least in Massachusetts) is:

"The right of way is not something that you have, it’s something that you give. So, you don’t take the right of way, you give the right of way," he explained.

Now there are, of course, no shortage of crosswalks where there’s no traffic signals or stoplights. And it’s at these kinds of crosswalks where the law really favors the pedestrian. Caselden explained some of the gritty details of the law:
    • If a pedestrian is in a crosswalk you have to wait for them to complete their path all the way through.
    • If they are coming toward your lane from the other side of a two way street, and are within 10 feet, you need to stop.
    • If your side of the road is two lanes, and the car in the other lane has stopped, you are not permitted to pass that car and enter the crosswalk.

So what if a pedestrian is on the sidewalk and look like they want to cross? Here, the law is actually a little less specific, but Caselden says his read is that drivers need to hit the brakes.

"Basically that’s my understanding," he said. "If they have the intent of crossing within a reasonable distance of it then yeah you gotta stop."

Summary of the Minnesota Law:
      The Minnesota Crosswalk Law: Key Elements
    • Drivers must stop for crossing pedestrians at marked crosswalks and at all intersections without crosswalks or stop lights.
    • Pedestrians must obey traffic signs and signals at all intersections that have them.
    • Vehicles stopped for pedestrians can proceed once the pedestrian has completely crossed the lane in front of the stopped vehicle.
    • Pedestrians must not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is approaching and it is impossible for the driver to stop. There is no defined distance that a pedestrian must abide by before entering the crosswalk; use common sense.
    • When a vehicle is stopped at an intersection to allow pedestrians to cross the roadway, drivers of other vehicles approaching from the rear must not pass the stopped vehicle.
    • Failure to obey the law is a misdemeanor. A second violation within one year is a gross misdemeanor.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    As far as cars go, I tell my son and myself "You are a squishy bag of mostly water, they are a 2-ton hunk of metal moving at speeds you can only dream of. This is a contest you can not win, no matter what the post-game ref says."

So I always ASSUME the car will NOT stop, and NOT yield and act accordingly. Risk of failure is just too high.

Still, I have been hit. The last time was a car that was in a parking space and decided to back up without warning or checking over his shoulder. I saw it happen in time to slam my hand down on his trunk which caused the driver to slam the breaks and finally look. Turn into a glancing blow at best, and hopefully a bit of a shock for the driver.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 like others happy to hear you and Kody weren't hurt. I bet your heart rate monitor saw a spike.

I agree on being distracted, during my first half I saw Skip and instinctively started towards her to hug her. The only problem was the car in the lane next to me. I almost ran right into it. Never saw it. Gave me the wake up call I needed on being distracted.

Everyone stay safe.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent You can set Strava up to include a default pair of shoes if there's on pair you usually use. To switch which pair you used on a particular run is pretty simple too. You're already editing your runs to change the titles. Logging shoes is just a matter of clicking on the drop-down menu just below that. The way you use for determining when to toss a pair of shoes work just fine, of course, but I'm a data geek so I like to track my miles.

hmm, thanks, I might try that but have to wait until my next pair of shoes now. Current pair has unknown 100s of miles on it.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Goal for January is 30 miles.
    1/1 - 0
    1/2 - 1
    1/3 - 2.5
    1/4 - 0
    1/5 - .25
    1/6 - 2.79
    1/7 - 0 min
    1/8 - 2.88
    1/9 - 0
    1/10 - 3.05
    Total: 12.47
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Tonight almost took a turn for the absolute worst. Kody and I came very close to being seriously hurt or even killed. It all happened so quick that by the time I realized we were in harms way, we were already out of harms way.

I debated whether I was going to say anything here because it was completely my fault and I'm embarrassed about it but perhaps it will help remind others to be smart out there.

My son had soccer practice tonight and I planned on taking him there and running for the hour. As usual for my runs after sunset I had my headlamp, flashing arm light, and my highly reflective vest. Kody had blue and red flashing lights on his collar. The parking lot entrance was busy with parents coming and going with their kids. The front car in the line of cars leaving the lot was over the crosswalk so i decided to go behind him. I quickly turned my headlamp into the second car to get his attention, got eye contact and even a wave so I knew I was good to go. As I walked in front of him I realized I knew who it was and gave him another wave and a smile. That was the distraction which almost did me in. I thought I saw recognition in his eyes and him pointing to me as if to say, "hey, I know you!".

No, it wasn't the look of recognition, it was the anxious look of impending disaster, and he wasn't pointing to me he was pointing at the minivan which was about to hit me.

The bit of distraction made me forget all about looking for incoming traffic to the facility. I crossed in front of one car, recognized the driver, and never looked to my right for cars entering the lot. What a dumbass. A lucky dumbass.

I can't say I remember everything, it happened so quick, but what I do recall is that after giving the guy the second wave, I turned to continue to run. By this time I was past my friends car and entering the incoming lane. As I turned my head I either saw, sensed, or felt a large mass by my face. I stopped my feet so fast my upper body continued to move forward and I instinctively put my hands up to guard my face from hitting this large object, which I was just now realizing was a minivan.

I put my hands up as my upper body continued to move forward. Both hands hit the side of the van, just behind the drivers door I think. As I pushed against it to keep my body from falling into it, I could feel the metal body of the van sliding forward under my hands. Though in my conscious mind I still hadn't figured out what was going on, my subconscious mind was hoping my gloves didn't catch on anything, was cringing in anticipation of my toes getting run over, and wondering where the hell Kody was.

When my hands reached the end of the van I continued to fall forward but was able to catch myself in a crazy stumble. This was about the time I finally realized what was going on. I glanced down to see Kody was just fine and running a step behind me, as he always does when we run in town. I'm so grateful Kody is trained to run at a heel.

With momentum still carrying me forward and the realization that we were unscathed, I just kept going. It took me about 5 minutes to process in my mind what had just happened, and what could have happened. Such a close call.

I feel bad for scaring the driver of the van, They did nothing wrong, it was all my fault. And I hope my friend didn't recognize me with my running gear on and beard covering my face because I really don't to talk about what a dumbshit I was.

I finished with just over 5 miles for the run. Much of the run was spent in prayer, thanking God for watching over me. I also spent the time thinking how this would never have happened if i were on a trail.

One bit of good news is that there was absolutely NO pain, discomfort, or anything in my knee! My knee hasn't felt this good after a run since before the IT band issue surfaced, so I'm very happy about that.

So be careful out there and learn from my stupidity. It only takes a little distraction to take your mind off safety.

@7lenny7 I am so glad you are okay! That is so scary.

I was clipped by a minivan at a crosswalk last year. I had the go crosswalk sign but she was looking down at her phone. Not paying attention, she just turned before looking. I was completely fine but I still get VERY nervous crossing at crosswalks.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ah @7lenny7 if that is how you crossed then it could also be said you didn't have a clear line of sight as to where you were going either - so wouldn't have seen the van. Glad it was only a near miss and nothing more - I had a guy run out between two parked cars on me once. The look on his face as I slammed the brakes on six inches from him told me that he would NEVER do that again..

Like @PastorVincent, I also nearly was reversed into by someone the other day. She’d stopped at a junction, so I thought I’d let her go and pass behind her (like @7lenny7). She then promptly tried to reverse into a parking space at the side of the road. Some people just have no idea how to use those little sticky out reflective devices on the side of their vehicles (probably in the same category of those people who don’t know what that movable stick on the side of the steering column that makes a yellow light flash and gives information on intent.

I think we can all learn from this that cars are bigger and more solid than our soft squishy bodies, and making ourselves massively visible (making eye contact, going in front of a vehicle, flashing lights, bright lights, being obvious in our intentions) will probably help save our lives.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - thanks for the explanation! It does look like you sort of snuck up on the driver. Still, this was a place where children are known to be present, so there's no excuse for the van. Both of you needed to be paying more attention! Just glad no one was hurt.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    01/01/18 - 3 miles
    01/02/18 - 4 miles
    01/03/18 - 4 miles
    01/04/18 - 3 miles
    01/05/18 - Cross train
    01/06/18 - 6 miles
    01/07/18 - REST
    01/08/18 - 3 miles
    01/09/18 - 4.5 miles
    01/10/18 - 3.5

MTD: 28 miles
    JAN GOAL: 80 miles

YTD: 28 miles
    2018 GOAL: 1000 miles

Upcoming (and hopeful) Races:
    02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/02/18 - Gluten free Gallop 5k (hubby and daughter have Celiac so this one's personal)
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon
    07/xx/18 - Something on a trail TBD
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/xx/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort TBD

Was supposed to be a 9x400 track workout. Used the path around the park in my neighborhood as a lap (haven't officially measured, but I figured it's the nature of the workout, not necessarily the precision measurement of a track that is supposed to help). Felt pretty good. I almost crapped out and did tomorrow's run today instead because the whole access to a track thing had me frazzled, but I pulled up my big girl panties on and just worked with what I had.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom do you have a garmin? If you do, an alternative to a track is programming a workout on Garmin Connect or using the interval option on the garmin to make a workout. It's "close enough" and it's what I use. If you don't, disregard what I said!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thank you for sharing your story. It's a reminder that we all must be vigilant. I am so glad you and your son are safe.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 Thanks for the explanation. I still take exception to drivers who pull into the crosswalk and just hang out. That's unfair and rude to potential pedestrians. If they have no intention to pull out into the intersection, then they have no business blocking the crosswalk.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves and how I have almost been hit by a car (or two). When I'm driving I stop at the actual sign, make sure there are no pedestrians (especially in places I expect pedestrians), if I don't see any I roll forward to check for cars.

One morning when I was running at like 5 am, I stepped into the intersection (I had a light on) and almost got hit by a woman flying up to the intersection. I startled her so much she dropped her phone that she was looking at instead of the road. I hope she learned a lesson.

If I can avoid crossing at a busier intersection I do. My main route goes down a busy street and I actually will make a right turn, run down the block and then cross because there are less cars and I get better visibility.

As far as lights, I know cars can't see walker/runners etc because when I am running I have almost ran into walkers and bike riders without lights. Even illuminating in front of me, I can't see them until I'm on top of them.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 32.5/90 km

10/1/18 Run 7.5 km
    9/1/18 Run 5 km SL B
    8/1/18 Run 4.4 km TT 1hr BM 30m
    6/1/18 rest day
    5/1/18 Run 7 km
    4/1/18 SL B
    3/1/18 Run 5.3 km+3.3km
    2/1/18 SL A Walk 9 km
    1/1/18 Walk 6 km

SL~ Strong Lift : TT~ table tennis
    BM~Badminton
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @Orphia Those pictures are stunning! I wish I was blessed with talent behind the lens. But alas, no one in my photos ever has their whole head in the picture or eyes open or in focus.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @PastorVincent Thats why I still use my nike app, it has all my shoe mileage on it. I usually go around 500-1000 (depends on the shoe) and how they feel.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Tonight almost took a turn for the absolute worst. Kody and I came very close to being seriously hurt or even killed. It all happened so quick that by the time I realized we were in harms way, we were already out of harms way.

I debated whether I was going to say anything here because it was completely my fault and I'm embarrassed about it but perhaps it will help remind others to be smart out there.

My son had soccer practice tonight and I planned on taking him there and running for the hour. As usual for my runs after sunset I had my headlamp, flashing arm light, and my highly reflective vest. Kody had blue and red flashing lights on his collar. The parking lot entrance was busy with parents coming and going with their kids. The front car in the line of cars leaving the lot was over the crosswalk so i decided to go behind him. I quickly turned my headlamp into the second car to get his attention, got eye contact and even a wave so I knew I was good to go. As I walked in front of him I realized I knew who it was and gave him another wave and a smile. That was the distraction which almost did me in. I thought I saw recognition in his eyes and him pointing to me as if to say, "hey, I know you!".

No, it wasn't the look of recognition, it was the anxious look of impending disaster, and he wasn't pointing to me he was pointing at the minivan which was about to hit me.

The bit of distraction made me forget all about looking for incoming traffic to the facility. I crossed in front of one car, recognized the driver, and never looked to my right for cars entering the lot. What a dumbass. A lucky dumbass.

I can't say I remember everything, it happened so quick, but what I do recall is that after giving the guy the second wave, I turned to continue to run. By this time I was past my friends car and entering the incoming lane. As I turned my head I either saw, sensed, or felt a large mass by my face. I stopped my feet so fast my upper body continued to move forward and I instinctively put my hands up to guard my face from hitting this large object, which I was just now realizing was a minivan.

I put my hands up as my upper body continued to move forward. Both hands hit the side of the van, just behind the drivers door I think. As I pushed against it to keep my body from falling into it, I could feel the metal body of the van sliding forward under my hands. Though in my conscious mind I still hadn't figured out what was going on, my subconscious mind was hoping my gloves didn't catch on anything, was cringing in anticipation of my toes getting run over, and wondering where the hell Kody was.

When my hands reached the end of the van I continued to fall forward but was able to catch myself in a crazy stumble. This was about the time I finally realized what was going on. I glanced down to see Kody was just fine and running a step behind me, as he always does when we run in town. I'm so grateful Kody is trained to run at a heel.

With momentum still carrying me forward and the realization that we were unscathed, I just kept going. It took me about 5 minutes to process in my mind what had just happened, and what could have happened. Such a close call.

I feel bad for scaring the driver of the van, They did nothing wrong, it was all my fault. And I hope my friend didn't recognize me with my running gear on and beard covering my face because I really don't to talk about what a dumbshit I was.

I finished with just over 5 miles for the run. Much of the run was spent in prayer, thanking God for watching over me. I also spent the time thinking how this would never have happened if i were on a trail.

One bit of good news is that there was absolutely NO pain, discomfort, or anything in my knee! My knee hasn't felt this good after a run since before the IT band issue surfaced, so I'm very happy about that.

So be careful out there and learn from my stupidity. It only takes a little distraction to take your mind off safety.

Scary experience! Glad that both you and your dog were safe! This incident warned me I shouldn't try to squeeze between two vehicles in haste which I often do. Better be safe than sorry.