Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    machchic wrote: »
    Went out for Mexican last night, normally I would have had a few Margarita's and then came home and slammed 3 more vodka's on the rocks. Last night I didn't even think about it. Hubby even said look at the money we are saving and calories(As I wolfed down a bowl of chips and salsa). I do get tired of all the restrictions, I am okay now with no alcohol but I did think I would lose weight quicker, now I am needing to start restriction calories of food more, Since being dry I have a tendency to reward myself in the evening with a treat since I am not drinking. Ordering me an electric tea pot today so I can have more tea in the evening instead of food.

You did very well!!! My husband looovvvveeeesss Mexican food and we eat it once a week. I dont like sugary drinks so I am good with not drinking Margheritas.

But like you stated our food bill is so much lower now that I am not drinking!! That is a great thing LOL!!
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    ntruman75 wrote: »
    Thank you for starting this thread

Welcome... jump on in with both feet! Great group here. Some are trying to quit completely while others get better at moderation.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Wow. Thank you @dbanks80! And thanks for the pep talk @JulieAL1969. I wish you the best in Nashville. You’ve been so strong. I will be interested to hear how you navigate with someone who is obviously quite invested in drinking. Luckily although almost everyone I know drinks, I don’t think anyone cares if I do or don’t, including all my soon-to-be limo buddies.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    @donimfp Perhaps, when you are a few days from the big bash, make a list of pros and cons of having alcohol. Then, decide if you'll have some. Right now, just focus on the next few days.
    I saw my friend at the mall today. She, a few others and I will be heading to Nashville on Thursday for a girl's weekend. She said "hey let's go to the airport early and drink a few." I then told her the news, "I'm not drinking; I'm doing dry January." Her face just dropped!

She said , "Oh.. really. Even for the weekend." She looked bummed. I'm her party friend! The difference is she can drink five vodkas in a short period of time and never seems to get a hangover... while I"m the one finding my shoes in the flower pot outside at home the next morning. That's how messed up I get with her.
    So, bottom line is I am very happy to be dry. I want to enjoy the bars, dancing and the live music sober for a change. I hope my tune doesn't change when I'm with her. I plan on staying alcohol free on that trip!

LMAO!! This made me laugh!

Don't you hate the stress of that? It's like I don't want to go anywhere because I have to deal with the struggle and explaining why I'm not drinking. It's so stressful. And I hate it when you tell someone you aren't drinking like I can only be fun when I am drinking. It's like they are so disappointed if you don't drink like the times will not be fun unless we are drinking.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,233 Member
    edited January 2018
    @dbanks80 It really is funny! :) Hence, why I am on this thread and doing Dry January.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Not one to actually say, "MYOB" but I enjoyed reading this article before the holidays, and before my decision for drytime.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/why-people-dont-drink-its-none-of-your-business/article37367578/
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    @dbanks80: "It's like I don't want to go anywhere because I have to deal with the struggle and explaining why I'm not drinking. It's so stressful."

Geez, I hate that you and @JulieAL1969 (and others) have to deal with this! Didn't anyone teach their kids manners?

When I was an older teenager, my mom was getting ready to host people for dinner, and she said something that has always stuck with me: "it's bad manners to ask someone why they aren't drinking alcohol." And adding to that, "It's bad manners to pressure someone to drink. If they say no, move on, without comment."
  • RubyRed427
    edited January 2018
    @Cleosweetie says, "Geez, I hate that you and @JulieAL1969 (and others) have to deal with this! Didn't anyone teach their kids manners?

When I was an older teenager, my mom was getting ready to host people for dinner, and she said something that has always stuck with me: "it's bad manners to ask someone why they aren't drinking alcohol." And adding to that, "It's bad manners to pressure someone to drink. If they say no, move on, without comment." [/quote]"

Nice to see you on the thread again:) I love your mom's advice !
    My sister who quit ten years ago, said that when she first quit, it seemed she had a bullseye on her. People were pressuring her to drink. They'd say, why not have one? So, she started to tell people she had a medical condition and that's why she couldnt drink. Too bad she even had to do that.

@slimbyjune18 It was a good experiment to drink after a few weeks off. You can see the difference:) in how you feel and want to feel.
    @justlog Good awareness as to how much we are all saving in calories and money, too.
    @jenifer7teen I've noticed I've preferred to stay at home doing things around the house than going out to the bars over the last few weeks. And I don't really miss the bars. I'm getting so much more done at home now that I'm not recovering from hangovers.
    @MichSmish So true about self-medicating.
    @erikNJ You seem to have great supportive friends!
    @SanDiegofitmom I read an article that sober is the newest trend. In New York, a few sober bars opened up. I bet they have tasty mocktails!
    @Skyweigh Good article! I read it! I love reading about sobriety ; keeps me motivated.
  • RubyRed427
    machchic wrote: »
    No alcohol today! I had a great work out, the house is clean, dinner was good and I’m looking forward to relaxing before bed either watching a movie or reading, and then sleeping through the night with no chance of hangover tomorrow :)

I got in a great workout too and I even ran a little on the treadmill. I am hoping to do a half marathon this summer. Without hangovers I may be able to accomplish this. I look forward to a good night sleep and the smell of coffee in the AM, it taste good when you are not hungover. Yep another dry night for me.

Awesome goal! I have been running on the treadmill, too. Enjoy your coffee!