Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    machchic wrote: »
    Went out for Mexican last night, normally I would have had a few Margarita's and then came home and slammed 3 more vodka's on the rocks. Last night I didn't even think about it. Hubby even said look at the money we are saving and calories(As I wolfed down a bowl of chips and salsa). I do get tired of all the restrictions, I am okay now with no alcohol but I did think I would lose weight quicker, now I am needing to start restriction calories of food more, Since being dry I have a tendency to reward myself in the evening with a treat since I am not drinking. Ordering me an electric tea pot today so I can have more tea in the evening instead of food.

You did very well!!! My husband looovvvveeeesss Mexican food and we eat it once a week. I dont like sugary drinks so I am good with not drinking Margheritas.

But like you stated our food bill is so much lower now that I am not drinking!! That is a great thing LOL!!
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ntruman75 wrote: »
    Thank you for starting this thread

Welcome... jump on in with both feet! Great group here. Some are trying to quit completely while others get better at moderation.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you @dbanks80! And thanks for the pep talk @JulieAL1969. I wish you the best in Nashville. You’ve been so strong. I will be interested to hear how you navigate with someone who is obviously quite invested in drinking. Luckily although almost everyone I know drinks, I don’t think anyone cares if I do or don’t, including all my soon-to-be limo buddies.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @donimfp Perhaps, when you are a few days from the big bash, make a list of pros and cons of having alcohol. Then, decide if you'll have some. Right now, just focus on the next few days.
    I saw my friend at the mall today. She, a few others and I will be heading to Nashville on Thursday for a girl's weekend. She said "hey let's go to the airport early and drink a few." I then told her the news, "I'm not drinking; I'm doing dry January." Her face just dropped!

She said , "Oh.. really. Even for the weekend." She looked bummed. I'm her party friend! The difference is she can drink five vodkas in a short period of time and never seems to get a hangover... while I"m the one finding my shoes in the flower pot outside at home the next morning. That's how messed up I get with her.
    So, bottom line is I am very happy to be dry. I want to enjoy the bars, dancing and the live music sober for a change. I hope my tune doesn't change when I'm with her. I plan on staying alcohol free on that trip!

LMAO!! This made me laugh!

Don't you hate the stress of that? It's like I don't want to go anywhere because I have to deal with the struggle and explaining why I'm not drinking. It's so stressful. And I hate it when you tell someone you aren't drinking like I can only be fun when I am drinking. It's like they are so disappointed if you don't drink like the times will not be fun unless we are drinking.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @dbanks80 It really is funny! :) Hence, why I am on this thread and doing Dry January.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not one to actually say, "MYOB" but I enjoyed reading this article before the holidays, and before my decision for drytime.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/why-people-dont-drink-its-none-of-your-business/article37367578/
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @dbanks80: "It's like I don't want to go anywhere because I have to deal with the struggle and explaining why I'm not drinking. It's so stressful."

Geez, I hate that you and @JulieAL1969 (and others) have to deal with this! Didn't anyone teach their kids manners?

When I was an older teenager, my mom was getting ready to host people for dinner, and she said something that has always stuck with me: "it's bad manners to ask someone why they aren't drinking alcohol." And adding to that, "It's bad manners to pressure someone to drink. If they say no, move on, without comment."
  • RubyRed427
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Cleosweetie says, "Geez, I hate that you and @JulieAL1969 (and others) have to deal with this! Didn't anyone teach their kids manners?

When I was an older teenager, my mom was getting ready to host people for dinner, and she said something that has always stuck with me: "it's bad manners to ask someone why they aren't drinking alcohol." And adding to that, "It's bad manners to pressure someone to drink. If they say no, move on, without comment." [/quote]"

Nice to see you on the thread again:) I love your mom's advice !
    My sister who quit ten years ago, said that when she first quit, it seemed she had a bullseye on her. People were pressuring her to drink. They'd say, why not have one? So, she started to tell people she had a medical condition and that's why she couldnt drink. Too bad she even had to do that.

@slimbyjune18 It was a good experiment to drink after a few weeks off. You can see the difference:) in how you feel and want to feel.
    @justlog Good awareness as to how much we are all saving in calories and money, too.
    @jenifer7teen I've noticed I've preferred to stay at home doing things around the house than going out to the bars over the last few weeks. And I don't really miss the bars. I'm getting so much more done at home now that I'm not recovering from hangovers.
    @MichSmish So true about self-medicating.
    @erikNJ You seem to have great supportive friends!
    @SanDiegofitmom I read an article that sober is the newest trend. In New York, a few sober bars opened up. I bet they have tasty mocktails!
    @Skyweigh Good article! I read it! I love reading about sobriety ; keeps me motivated.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    machchic wrote: »
    No alcohol today! I had a great work out, the house is clean, dinner was good and I’m looking forward to relaxing before bed either watching a movie or reading, and then sleeping through the night with no chance of hangover tomorrow :)

I got in a great workout too and I even ran a little on the treadmill. I am hoping to do a half marathon this summer. Without hangovers I may be able to accomplish this. I look forward to a good night sleep and the smell of coffee in the AM, it taste good when you are not hungover. Yep another dry night for me.

Awesome goal! I have been running on the treadmill, too. Enjoy your coffee!