Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto means not counting calories

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for someone to drop dead from keto because they just couldn't stop losing weight dammit. All that fat burning got them shrivelling up and keeling over. Oh but wait........

Hasn’t worked that way for Jimmy Moore, one of the most prominent ketovangelists.

What's he back up to these days? I remember he gained back a ton of weight.

He must have abandoned keto, since it’s apparently not possible to gain weight on keto no matter how much you eat. :D

Apparently, he's a unicorn.

I just fell in a Google hole that took me to Youtube and some bloke talking about why Jimmy Moore regained and keto etc and got about 5 minutes in before noping out. Set points, damaged metabolisms, caloric deficits not being how you should lose weight were all in that first five minutes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yep look up doing keto and not losing weight there are a lot of those when you do a search in google. and almost all of them say that you have to be in a deficit to lose weight if you arent losing you arent in a deficit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I low carbed without counting calories starting about 20 years ago (I did it for 10 years). I believed the rationalization that the macro balance would lead to satiety and naturally regulate my intake. I'm trying to remember what my starting weight was... I think all in all I lost about 20 pounds (and it was slow going), but then my weight loss just stopped. And I was still a good 20 pounds overweight at that point and saying that, that's just talking about putting me at the upper range of BMI. My aesthetic goals would have me at a lower BMI. I'm still quite fluffy at that upper point.

Anyway, it wasn't a miracle in automatically regulating my appetite, and I even eventually started regaining weight as time wore on while I was still eating that way.

Long story short? Calories matter. When I started here on MFP, I set my goal as that number that I got down to on the low carb diet because I'd always had such a hard time losing weight in the past. Imagine my surprise when I found losing weight while counting calories to be so easy that I blew right past that goal and now weigh less than I did when I was 13 years old. (I'm 55)