Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    No alcohol today! I had a great work out, the house is clean, dinner was good and I’m looking forward to relaxing before bed either watching a movie or reading, and then sleeping through the night with no chance of hangover tomorrow :)

Hangover free!! Best reward for abstaining. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @dbanks80 You are such a positive person! Love reading your comments always:)
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Agree Julie, good experiment to see what fits and doesn’t, great onwards motivation too!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    P.S. Last week at the hair salon I was offered a cup of Tazo Vanilla bean and macaron tea. It was like having a decadent dessert.
    Somebody else recommended that tea here and I tried it and can second that it's delish. Tazo has other dessert teas as well. There's one called butterscotch blondie, which sounds pretty yummy.

• MamaKaz79
    MamaKaz79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Went out to favorite beach bar with husband last night and met three people from Belgium. We had a great time getting to know them, but there was a copious amount of drinking going on between the four of them (I stuck to Diet Coke). Wow, the drunker everybody got the more sort of annoyed I got with all of them. The bar got our tab mixed up with another person who had the exact same name. By the time my husband got it straightened out he felt compelled, in his fairly drunken state, to buy the other person and his entire party a round of drinks. The expense of that annoyed me even more.

I'm thinking two things this morning: 1. Can I actually have fun with people who are drinking anymore? 2. Was I one of those annoying people who was slurring her speech and talking to people with my face four inches from theirs and making little sense when I was drinking? The answer to #1 is probably. The answer for #2 is most definitely, unfortunately.

The good thing about last night is that I was thrilled to be the DD and not worry a bit about the potential of a DUI, something I've worried about before - even after just a couple of glasses of wine. We had a friend who got a DUI and, believe me, you don't ever want to have to go through that. You will be court mandated into AA, you will not drive for a year, minimum, and it will cost 1000s of $ in attorney fees, fines, your insurance rates will go up astronomically, etc. So it was a great feeling not worrying about that.

Day 22 begins!

Good job! I quit completely for a couple years and every time we were out my husband would point out people that were acting like I did in the past. It was eye opening.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    The good thing about last night is that I was thrilled to be the DD and not worry a bit about the potential of a DUI, something I've worried about before - even after just a couple of glasses of wine. We had a friend who got a DUI and, believe me, you don't ever want to have to go through that. You will be court mandated into AA, you will not drive for a year, minimum, and it will cost 1000s of $ in attorney fees, fines, your insurance rates will go up astronomically, etc. So it was a great feeling not worrying about that.
    Day 22 begins!

Good for you!

DUI is the reason why if I have the keys, I only drink water or coffee. When I drink, it's at home.

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Went out with my hubby and some new friends Sat night. Drank higher-alcohol (9%) craft beers. Blacked out. Spent all day yesterday hungover. :( I hate it. Guess I'm starting fresh today.
    Still reading The Naked Mind and enjoying it.

You can do this... One day at a time!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all who accomplished their goals this weekend. I had a football party at my house today and the beer and wine were flowing. I admit a glass of wine sounded fun, but I saved the calories for a oven baked cookie and Imice cream. My mom who is doing dry January with me (though she really doesn’t drink much) was like “we could just have a little, right??” I’m like no! I’m staying the course! Three weeks down and not stopping now.

Great for you!!!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    @dbanks80: "It's like I don't want to go anywhere because I have to deal with the struggle and explaining why I'm not drinking. It's so stressful."

Geez, I hate that you and @JulieAL1969 (and others) have to deal with this! Didn't anyone teach their kids manners?

When I was an older teenager, my mom was getting ready to host people for dinner, and she said something that has always stuck with me: "it's bad manners to ask someone why they aren't drinking alcohol." And adding to that, "It's bad manners to pressure someone to drink. If they say no, move on, without comment."

It would be nice if everyone knew this!!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    @Cleosweetie says, "Geez, I hate that you and @JulieAL1969 (and others) have to deal with this! Didn't anyone teach their kids manners?

When I was an older teenager, my mom was getting ready to host people for dinner, and she said something that has always stuck with me: "it's bad manners to ask someone why they aren't drinking alcohol." And adding to that, "It's bad manners to pressure someone to drink. If they say no, move on, without comment."
    "

Nice to see you on the thread again:) I love your mom's advice !
    My sister who quit ten years ago, said that when she first quit, it seemed she had a bullseye on her. People were pressuring her to drink. They'd say, why not have one? So, she started to tell people she had a medical condition and that's why she couldnt drink. Too bad she even had to do that.

@slimbyjune18 It was a good experiment to drink after a few weeks off. You can see the difference:) in how you feel and want to feel.
    @justlog Good awareness as to how much we are all saving in calories and money, too.
    @jenifer7teen I've noticed I've preferred to stay at home doing things around the house than going out to the bars over the last few weeks. And I don't really miss the bars. I'm getting so much more done at home now that I'm not recovering from hangovers.
    @MichSmish So true about self-medicating.
    @erikNJ You seem to have great supportive friends!
    @SanDiegofitmom I read an article that sober is the newest trend. In New York, a few sober bars opened up. I bet they have tasty mocktails!
    @Skyweigh Good article! I read it! I love reading about sobriety ; keeps me motivated.[/quote]

I think I am going to start doing that.

• lonestarbabe
    lonestarbabe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

I love how you're tracking your days like this! I'm going to copy you (I hope that's okay).

1/21 First day with no alcohol. I didn't even crave it! :smiley:
    1/22
    1/23
    1/24
    1/25
    1/26
    1/27
    1/28
    1/29
    1/30
    1/31
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Went out with my hubby and some new friends Sat night. Drank higher-alcohol (9%) craft beers. Blacked out. Spent all day yesterday hungover. :( I hate it. Guess I'm starting fresh today.
    Still reading The Naked Mind and enjoying it.

Sometimes I think it takes these nights to improve our resolve. Hope today is so much better!
  • aplus816
    aplus816 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5iju9ho2tbms.png
    I’m loving this app. It also says I’ve saved $141 dollars which is pretty eye opening. Imagine if I put that away every month - I could go on an amazing vacation!

What app is this if you don't mind me asking?

thank you all for such a motivating post! i'm just starting an 8 week challenge to drastically reduce my alcohol intake and this thread is just the inspiration I need!
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    aplus816 wrote: »
    5iju9ho2tbms.png
    I’m loving this app. It also says I’ve saved $141 dollars which is pretty eye opening. Imagine if I put that away every month - I could go on an amazing vacation!

What app is this if you don't mind me asking?

thank you all for such a motivating post! i'm just starting an 8 week challenge to drastically reduce my alcohol intake and this thread is just the inspiration I need!

I believe that's the Dry January app. I'm downloading it now. Thanks!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venas-fizz-house-maine/index.html

Saw this travel video about a place that opened successfully with mocktails. Delicious, complex, tasty mocktails!
    The owner said, "I had this whole vision," she said. "A bar with bartenders, and they're mixing and muddling and shaking. But there's no alcohol. It's seltzer-based, but they're using really good, healthy ingredients."

*After a few years in business, they did eventually offer alcohol with their established mocktails.