• maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    Spicy Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup natural-style creamy peanut butter
    1/3 cup water
    3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    2 tablespoons lime juice (from about 1 1/2 medium limes)
    4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons chile-garlic paste
    1 medium garlic clove, mashed to a paste
    1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Just mix everything together. I put it into six separate little containers a little more than two tablespoons each, which came to 151 calories per serving. Then I freeze them all and just thaw one when I need it. I also freeze grilled chicken in 84-gram portions, so I can whip together a decent meal pretty quickly!

I've thought about trying this sauce with PB2, which would greatly decrease the calories.

Thanks a lot. It sounds good and I had the same thought re PB2 and perhaps also replacing the granulated sugar with Erythrit. I've been using PB2 in some of my stirfrys and it works great.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    today I made the unstuffed cabbage recipe from Skinnytaste. I used canned fire roasted tomatoes instead of tomato sauce & ground round. It's pretty good
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    We’re still in a deep freeze today, so I got all kinds of good stuff to roast: red cabbage, carrots, parsnips, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, acorn squash and for dessert, peaches!!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My recent winter go to- Spinach, Broccoli, potatoes and tuna in a stew with gravy powder chili/garlic/onion powder. Entire hot comforting big pan full for 475 calories :D
    Super quick and simple to

dlyhe2cfjwlk.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    maisiba wrote: »
    I love "fried" cabbage! Roasted sounds fantastic! And easier. How do you do it? Olive oil? Salt? Temperature? How long?

Thanks!

Sorry for the very late reply. I didn't go online much with the holiday stress.

First I should say I use savoy cabbage and not regular white cabbage (although I've seen someone do roasted normal cabbage too and actually wanted to try that as well).

First I cut it in wedges (perhaps 2 inch wide?... usually I cut 1/4 of a head into 3 wedges) and put it on a backing sheet. Then I spray some olive oil onto it (I have a pump bottle with it and it uses very little oil and hence calories); just enough to lightly cover it and make the spices stick better too.

Then I season the savoy cabbage - with cayenne pepper, chili, normal black pepper and salt. I had a pretty awesome chili salt which I love using but unfortunately run out and they don't sell it anymore. But you can use plain salt or any other seasoned salt too. Anyway, I'm pretty generous with the spices.

Then I put it into the pre-heated oven with 220° Celcius (430°F I think) in the middle. I don't have really a fixed time, I basically do it by sight until I see the outside burnt pretty dark and can still see the yellow through it from the inside. My guess would be somewhere around 30-45 minutes. I then add some additional salt/pepper on the plate too.

It's really simple and not many calories but lots of sodium.

Bought Savoy cabbage to roast, then "fried" it instead. Even better than regular cabbage. But I will roast it next time. Sounds really good!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Glad I finally looked at this thread. I've been trying to get creative with stretching my meals now that I'm moving lower in calories. Thanks to all contributors.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I used to be a volume eater (lots of salads, fruits, lean meats, low-fat dairy, egg whites, etc). Sometimes I wonder if that's what contributed to the paralysis of my colon (am getting a colectomy soon). I miss salads :(

Google: gastroparesis and eating disorders, not eating enough.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Basically, me too. I eat a mass of greens of all kinds. Raw or steamed without oil they are extremely low cal, high fiber and vitamin loaded. I can have a huge plate of veggies for less calories.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any new recipes lately? Ive been in a total rut and looking for new ideas
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    @crazyravr savory! I have sweet covered with your cheesecake right now! :D
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any new recipes lately? Ive been in a total rut and looking for new ideas

Cooked this recently. You could add more veggies if you like. Was a hit with the youngsters at my house. I liked it, too, and will make it again.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/loaded-cauliflower-casserole-3696425

Have made this jambalaya several times. My personal favorite for winter comfort food. Usually eat two bowls. Lots of veggies in it and you could add rice or quinoa or more veggies if needed.
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/low-carb-crock-pot-jambalaya-96660

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I eat like this a lot, I really prefer high volume meals too. My favorite dinner is a full pan of a variety of seasoned roasted vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, etc) and after it starts getting pretty crispy I'll push it all together and crack 1-2 eggs on top with about half a cup of black beans, bake some more until the eggs set. I like to keep the eggs a little runny, but if you dont like runny eggs it's also tasty to scramble them up and just pour it over everything kind of like a frittata.

For dessert I love banana ice cream. I throw frozen bananas and protein powder in my vitamix with just a bit of water. Not exactly low calorie but after a big workout being able to eat a huge bowl of ice-cream is divine so I will often save 300ish calories for dessert.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I eat like this a lot, I really prefer high volume meals too. My favorite dinner is a full pan of a variety of seasoned roasted vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, etc) and after it starts getting pretty crispy I'll push it all together and crack 1-2 eggs on top with about half a cup of black beans, bake some more until the eggs set. I like to keep the eggs a little runny, but if you dont like runny eggs it's also tasty to scramble them up and just pour it over everything kind of like a frittata.

Do you cook the veggies in oil in a wok? Or how? TIA :)
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

yb9d9o6m3v9l.jpg

Well example of what I had last night.
    100g baby potatoes parboiled, cooled and halved.
    200g brussel sprouts halved.
    100g brown mushrooms halved.
    half medium onion sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed.
    Drizzle of aged balsamic.
    200g bone in pork shop, pounded a bit (tenderized) and sprinkled with Webber chipotle spice mix.

Simple side.
    Diced cucumber, small tomato and the other half of the onion sliced.
    125ml of plain yogurt.
    S+P to taste.
    Mix everythign and let it sit until you finish the rest.

Heat up and spray a cast iron pan with spray.
    Pork chop in for couple minutes, flip and repeat, remove and onto a plate covered.
    Throw onions in, then garlic until fragrant.
    Add everything else and cook until everything get nice color.
    Splash in the balsamic to bring up all the stuff stuck to the bottom.
    cook for few minutes.

Add to the meat on the plate, salad on the side and go to town.

I could hardly finish my plate.

This looks awesome, I think that might be dinner tonight or tomorrow, I see your posts on the post pictures of your meals thread they all look great.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

yb9d9o6m3v9l.jpg

Well example of what I had last night.
    100g baby potatoes parboiled, cooled and halved.
    200g brussel sprouts halved.
    100g brown mushrooms halved.
    half medium onion sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed.
    Drizzle of aged balsamic.
    200g bone in pork shop, pounded a bit (tenderized) and sprinkled with Webber chipotle spice mix.

Simple side.
    Diced cucumber, small tomato and the other half of the onion sliced.
    125ml of plain yogurt.
    S+P to taste.
    Mix everythign and let it sit until you finish the rest.

Heat up and spray a cast iron pan with spray.
    Pork chop in for couple minutes, flip and repeat, remove and onto a plate covered.
    Throw onions in, then garlic until fragrant.
    Add everything else and cook until everything get nice color.
    Splash in the balsamic to bring up all the stuff stuck to the bottom.
    cook for few minutes.

Add to the meat on the plate, salad on the side and go to town.

I could hardly finish my plate.

What is the red food at 4:00?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Super quick and filling supper tonight. 100g black beans, 100g frozen corn, 1/2 can HOT Ro-Tel over a bag of broccoli florets. You carnivores could add skirt steak, grilled chicken or shrimp. It was really good and took about 7 minutes to toss together. Following with vanilla chia pudding.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Super quick and filling supper tonight. 100g black beans, 100g frozen corn, 1/2 can HOT Ro-Tel over a bag of broccoli florets. You carnivores could add skirt steak, grilled chicken or shrimp. It was really good and took about 7 minutes to toss together. Following with vanilla chia pudding.

@nowine4me do you happen to know the calorie count for this off the top of your head? I have all of those ingredients, and literally nothing else at my house and I might avoid going to the store one more day :D
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

@nowine4me do you happen to know the calorie count for this off the top of your head? I have all of those ingredients, and literally nothing else at my house and I might avoid going to the store one more day :D

Dont be lasy. How easy it would be to put all this into a recipe builder???

Thats what I did first, but had to guess calories on broccoli bag and Ro-tel until I get home, store is on the way home, so I figured id ask!