February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So, hill training. My husband in particular sucks at hills and I wouldn't mind getting better at them, but I don't know how or where to start. I have more trouble down than up, since my knee doesn't like the added force of going downhill. Any advice for a newbie looking to add a little hill training?
  • DauntlessDiva
    DauntlessDiva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    YTD Stats:
    11,721’ gain
    76.1 miles

February - 0.5mi walk.... racing a challenging trail 50-miler on Saturday and enjoying my taper.
  • DauntlessDiva
    DauntlessDiva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So, hill training. My husband in particular sucks at hills and I wouldn't mind getting better at them, but I don't know how or where to start. I have more trouble down than up, since my knee doesn't like the added force of going downhill. Any advice for a newbie looking to add a little hill training?

Start by hiking hilly terrain. Hiking briskly is just as effective training as running on hills, and easier on the body.

Stick to trail, over road, to minimize impact injuries.

Use poles for steep hills.

Focus on not moving the upper body too much. Use your arms to propel you, but don’t flail.

Practice, practice!

And have fun! Hills are the best.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I was thinking, when do sports bras EVER come with matching panties?

@shanaber thanks, I'm going too that this thyroid thing is just inflammation and not a long term thing. The fact that a painful, swollen thyroid is my main symptom gives me hope via Dr. Google.

@PastorVincent I prefer the variety of shoes thing. Maybe I haven't been running enough to get a pair I love and want to repeat, but I tend to like rotating styles. I'm the same with dance shoes, I have several pairs and I rotate in classes.

@rheddmobile downhill, keep your steps short and try and zig zag. Don't lean back which enforces a brake. If you need to slow down then skip, it really makes a difference. I love downs.

@MobyCarp - I ALSO had a follow request on Strava from 'StravaRunner'. And ignored it too. (ps. You made me chuckle with that troll line.)

No run for me this morning, am thinking I'll fit one in before my CrossFit session tonight. I have a dance workshop all weekend so doubt I'll be running (or able to)

• Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @kat_ontherun , you could use one of the online formulas to roughly estimate your zones based on your age, but best is to do a lactate test, if they're available in your area. I'm 34 and had one done last August, and for what it's worth, my long slow runs should be performed @135-147 bpm. Your resting HR seems to be a bit high, did you measure it right after you wake up before you get out of bed?
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I'm in for, I don't know, let's say 100k this month. Plan is to recover from marathon, do some speed work later in the month, and not have to worry about getting in any big long runs in yucky weather. I've got 2 races on the calendar this month, a 5 and a 10k, and I'm not going to stress out over times on them if I don't feel like it. Smiley "joy of running" race photos will be just fine this time ;)

Got back last night from vacation, started laundry immediately (I've got a 3+ year streak of staying caught up on laundry and am not about to lose it now!), and made my bed this morning for the first time in a week. Sigh... That may have been the best vacation ever.

No planned running this week. Should have added in "no riding the cable car up the side of a mountain, then walking most of the way back down when they shut down due to high winds." Because let's celebrate the marathon soreness going away, by killing our calf muscles! My watch says I'm still 40 hours behind on recovery. Not sure how accurate that is, but in the short time I've had it, it seems to somewhat parallel my perceived recovery needs pretty well.

exercise.png
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    02.02-4.34k. Total Feb.-9.58k.

Just an easy run walk with some friends who are just getting into running. Cold and windy so cut it just a little short.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Best way to get better running hills is to run up hill. :) Seriously, just find a route that has small hills in it and start running them. Try to pick ones that are not too steep for you to run up and slowly work to harder ones if you can. Listen to your body and take your time.

Pay attention to the downhill also, it is often harder on your knees.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Ugh of course sorry it's a trek @sarahthes, no pressure! Going to nail down the date tonight :)

February 1- 15+3
    February 2- 17

35/550

575/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Miler, September 7
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 – I can’t wait to hear about your Martha’s Vineyard HM. Is this its second year? I seem to remember seeing it advertised as an inaugural last year. I’m tempted by this one and there is one in Maine that also has been calling my name.
    @bride001 – I ran a HM on the beach at Hilton Head a couple of years ago and the sand was tightly packed like in your picture. I wore trail shoes. That’s just what I had planned and this was last day of a three day series (10 miles on 1st day, 10 miles on 2nd day and 13.1 on the beach on the last day) so I was ready for a change of shoes anyway.
    @redredy9 – Welcome!
    @DauntlessDiva – Good luck with your 50-miler tomorrow! Your hill training advice makes sense.

Had about three inches of snow/ice arrive last night but when I made it to work there is nothing here (I have a 40 minute commute). My HM tomorrow is a road race and I’m hoping those roads will be cleared today and not refrozen as ice tomorrow.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 yep it's the second year. I'm really looking forward to it. The Vineyard is one of my favourite places and to go in May and run a half and celebrate my wedding anniversary all at the same time was too good miss.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - Here are a couple of pictures I took duirng the run last year. Race start is close to evening and they also have a 13 mile option. The picture with all the shoe tracks is the type of sand we run on. I do not feel comfortable running barefoot on this sand becuase of debris in the water - there seems to be lots of twigs and sticks that wash up on the beach
    @7lenny7 - I ran in some old road shoes i had last year. Biggest problem last year was sand in the shoes and not water. Probably can't avoid the sand in the shoes.

Yeah, that is much harder than I was thinking. Since you mention debris I would say trial shoes would be my guess, but no, if you are on the beach you can not avoid sand get in places you do not want. :lol:
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Funny how glycerin are my least favorite Brooks. They heel slip despite redoing the laces to help prevent it. And if I tighten them too much my toes get tingly.

So good to know it's not just me! I don't have the Glycerin, but I'm in Brooks Adrenaline GTS16 currently. They are fine, but there is heel slippage. I have weird feet anyway, so some heel slip is normal, but when you tie it tightly, your toes are throbbing for the lack of blood supply, yet the heel still slips and the sock pools, not fun! lmao

My fave pair were the Saucony Hurricane 15's. After the running was done in them I wore them as daily's until it hurt to put them on. I would love to get another pair, but I know those are long gone. Just don't know what is out there, and what is best for me feet now after my surgeries. Planning on going to the run shop as soon as I can to get fitted.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    February goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

2/1- REST
    2/2- 5.5

Today's notes: I need to get some more people to go on the snowshoe trails. They aren't runnable right now, Coach wants me running, so I have to stay on the XC trails and the XC trails are starting to feel like I'm cheating when I run them. Assignment was 1 hour trail run. Hit up the XC trail (Blah) and when the first 2 miles were sub-11, I knew it was too easy. Mile 3 was SLOW for the first half, mainly because footing going up the steeper sections wasn't great. Second half of mile 3 was decently fast and I made back most of the time from the first half. Last 2.5 miles were nothing special, slight downhill and easy running... I hate feeling like I'm cheating... ugh.....

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile