February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Also RitB120 *kitten* out and dropped down to a 50k so I am no longer interested in that. @juliet3455 any sage advice on what you would run in July/early August than is NOT Sin?

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, June 24
    *Lost Souls 100 Miler, September 7

I was going to ask What or who is RitB120 ?? Found it. Run in the Buff 120

I haven't done any of these and none of my local friends have but these look interesting and they are on our side of the country which is a bonus. What about your Home Province out East, with the amazing Coast Line I would think there would be some fantastic courses/events.
    Seems like a lot events are dropping to 50km. Probably due to a shortage of Volunteers, Logistics and Insurance.

Knee Knacker North Shore Trail run - 30 mile = 50km and 200 starters Ohh LaDeDa Exclusive or what.

Knee Knacker Schedule
    Thursday, July 12 – Registration, packet pickup & race briefing 5:30pm – 7:00pm
    Friday, July 13 – Registration, packet pickup. All runners must register by Friday night.
    Saturday, July 14 – Race Day! There is no day of race registration.
    4:40am – 5:00am Shuttle to start line.
    5:15am – 5:40am Mandatory Runner’s check-in
    5:45am Last minute instructions.
    6:00am Race start! Start is off of Westport Road

The Broken Goat 50K Saturday July 21, 2018 Only 50 km but nice vertical. 2,300m ascent / 2,800m descent at Red Mountain Ski Resort.

Idaho Peak Ultra Trail Marathon ~ 45km 2200m elevation July 28, 2018

Emperor's Challenge August 11, 2018.
    I know Emperor's is only 20.? km so rather a short distance for you, would be nice to see the defending champions getting pushed by someone.
    Registration for the 20th annual Emperor's Challenge will open on Wednesday, April 11, 2018! Increasing the race cap to 1,100 racers for this year! Sold out in 18hrs last year.

Just Stumbled onto this http://www.trailrunningcanada.ca/wp/trail-races/

Rest-Recovery yesterday after the Chilly Willy race on Sunday and Swim Club tonight so no running until tomorrow. Finally starting to get sunlight before 830am and still at 600pm. Nice to see the sun after work.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the well wishes on my HM. You guys make me feel proud even when it was terrible! Also congratulations to everyone else who ran this last weekend if I missed commenting!!

@polskagirl01 - When I was in college in So Cal we used to have days you couldn't see the buildings on campus because the smog was so bad. When my husband and I lived north and would drive back south and come over the hills into LA you could see the brown layer of crappy air over the basin and I just wanted to turn around! It is better now but I understand completely! As a runner I would totally rock that mask!
    @KatieJane83 - love that meme!
    @karllundy - I hope you and the kiddo feel better soon. The bugs that are out there this year are beasts!
    @weat0043 - I hope your foot is ok and it isn't a stress fracture!
    @HonuNui - sounds like another awesome party!! One of these days I am going to get there for it!
    @rheddmobile - my PR in mapmyrun is the same - I forgot to stop my workout and it had me doing 16 miles at an incredible pace! I did edit it though to what I actually ran and the time I ran it in but it was fun to laugh about (and dream of being that fast!) at the time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I have a friend in Poland and she recently got a smog mask for running. It's got a sort of skull design on it, so it looks totally badass. :smiley: She also said it was hard to breathe in, but better than breathing smog.

@_nikkiwolf_ Yes, I've flagged a couple of Strava activities.

I tend to think they're usually clueless newbies who don't realise how "important" Strava and its segments are, and have just pressed cycle instead of run, or hopped in a car.

Usually they disappear from the leaderboards quickly. But one I flagged I saw still there the other day, and it burned me up! :worried::smiley:

@JessicaMcB O. M. Flying Spaghetti Monster! Awesome time for a 5K!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    February 2 — 4.15 miles
    February 4 — 5.19 miles
    February 6 — 4.23 miles

February total — 13.57/75 miles

Plans for a long run today foiled once again by icy ground conditions and lack of appropriate footwear. The path I normally would have run on was not happening today. I might just have to run my regular loop twice and call it a long run. Sounds miserable but at least it’s not the treadmill. ;)
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I'm in Belgium, no swag must be European thing then ;)

Anyone here has experience with fasting? I had a 24-hour fast from Sunday dinner till Monday dinner and I'm wondering how that might affect performance... Yesterday was the worst run ever, 13:20/mile while in endurance HR zone. Legs were super heavy, I had to push myself to keep going at that ridiculous pace. Last week I ran a comparable session and pace was 12:07/mile. I did run before dinner, think last week was after...

February goal: 50km
    Feb 01: 6.49 km
    Feb 04: 3.41 km
    Feb 06: 5.44 km

LH7Cp1.png

Potential races this year:
    4/8 - North Sea Port Run in Gent - 10km
    4/29 - Duvelloop - as far as I can
    5/21 - Kortrijk Loopt for Think Pink - 11km
    6/22 - Dwars door Sint Pieter Kuurne - 10.5km
    12/16 - Glow Run Kortrijk - 10km
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 I have a friend in Poland and she recently got a smog mask for running. It's got a sort of skull design on it, so it looks totally badass. :smiley: She also said it was hard to breathe in, but better than breathing smog.

I've seen those skull ones for sale on the internet, they do look cool. Mine are pretty boring though. They seem to be gaining popularity, especially among cyclists.
    I went out for a little trail run through my recently-discovered woods today, and really enjoyed it. I can see the air today, but the app says it is only "lightly" polluted at the moment.

exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    5 miles in the rain this morning but the temp was a nice 42F so I'll take it!

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I never even looked at those numbers before. I guess I have been on the net too long because I just assumed there were cheaters/lairs in the top rankings and never bothered. The only leaderboard I look at is MFP. Pretty sure none of us is faking it. Though I frankly am amazed at how FLAT some of y'all... okay most of y'all's runs are! My flattest run for training is like 500 feet of elevation, and that is only if I deliberately route around the hills (sometimes they are not passable). Some of y'all somehow can run for miles and have only double digits... amazing.