February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need a race opinion. I want to schedule another marathon in late Nov - Jan time period. This will give my ankle time to fully heal. It will also be late enough that I won’t have to do my heavy training in the dead heat of summer. I am pondering three separate races. Does anyone have any insight? Has anyone run these races?

1) The Louisiana Marathon on 1/20/19. Pros: It is flat and rumored to be well organized. I could drive and save the expense of a plane ride. Cons: My ex-husbands family is from Baton Rouge. I would have to be in the same city with them - Ewwww

2) The Route 66 Marathon 11/18/18. Pros: I have talked to two people who said it was one of their favorite marathons. You have the option of running an extra 0.3 miles and getting “the worlds shortest ultra” medal. Cons: I would have to call in a whole lot of work favors to get someone to cover for me that weekend because it is so close to Thanksgiving. If I can even get off...

3) The Miami Marathon on 1/27/19. Pros: It’s Miami — you run along South Beach! I know two people who want to go with me. Flights to Miami are pretty inexpensive in January. Cons: I would spend more money on hotels and airfare (mostly because I would want to stay a few days extra).

Sounds like with Miami you will also be treating yourself to a nice little vacation, so, IMO, that wins. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need a race opinion. I want to schedule another marathon in late Nov - Jan time period. This will give my ankle time to fully heal. It will also be late enough that I won’t have to do my heavy training in the dead heat of summer. I am pondering three separate races. Does anyone have any insight? Has anyone run these races?

1) The Louisiana Marathon on 1/20/19. Pros: It is flat and rumored to be well organized. I could drive and save the expense of a plane ride. Cons: My ex-husbands family is from Baton Rouge. I would have to be in the same city with them - Ewwww

2) The Route 66 Marathon 11/18/18. Pros: I have talked to two people who said it was one of their favorite marathons. You have the option of running an extra 0.3 miles and getting “the worlds shortest ultra” medal. Cons: I would have to call in a whole lot of work favors to get someone to cover for me that weekend because it is so close to Thanksgiving. If I can even get off...

3) The Miami Marathon on 1/27/19. Pros: It’s Miami — you run along South Beach! I know two people who want to go with me. Flights to Miami are pretty inexpensive in January. Cons: I would spend more money on hotels and airfare (mostly because I would want to stay a few days extra).

I like option 3. :smiley:
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Feb: 25 miles

2/2 - 2.10
    2/3 - 2.15 - 4.25 run, 20.75 to go

Races:
    2/17 - Susan B Komen Race For the Cure (if approved to leave work early)
    2/24 - Gasparilla 5K

Yearly goal: 200 miles - Jan 17.61 - 4.25 = 178.14 to run!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Too cold (for me anyway) only 8 (wanted 14) easy run all zone 2.
    @amymoreorless I'd be going for option 2. The whole route 66 thing sounds historic and true American experience. Miami sounds
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Quandary!

So I'm doing the CT10K. Today was supposed to be Week5, Day 3 which is 5 min walk (warm up), 20 min run, 5 min walk (cool down). Head out, and I didn't have my glasses on, I accidently hit Week 5, day 2 again, (5 min warm up, run 8 mins, 5 min walk, run 8 mins, 5 min cool down). I didn't even comprehend this error until I'm logging everything now.

I have tomorrow rest day before I start week 6 on Monday. I don't want to overdo it, but I want to be "accurate". So......do I just chalk it up as I'm an idiot, at least I got my run in & miles under me, or do day 3 tomorrow? (and run 4 days in a row)
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    February Running Challenge

Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 6/90 km

3/2/18 Run 6 km
    1-2/2/18 Rest day
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    As much as I hate treadmills, I would LOVE one of these...the treadwall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFHYjB1eLA

That’s a no from me. How do you plan your route? And what’s this? She used the orange AND the pink AND the green hold?
  • danichoc
    danichoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok it is freezing here but let’s do this! My goal is 60km in February

Today 2/3 mini 2km to start run!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good call on DNS tomorrow @juliet3455. You are certainly hearty, but that's really dangerous.

@amymoreorless I personally would pick Miami for the vacation in January aspect too. The Route 66 does sound cool though.

@HRKinchen I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Also sorry about the disappointment with your roses being cut back so much. I can understand that. I hope they flourish quickly (although I have a hard time right now imaging weather where gardening and pruning would be an option).

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    02/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 5.0
    02/03/18 :::: 7.4 :::: 12.4

Today's long run was cold and snowy. Not like dangerously cold or anything, just "I'm tired of winter this is miserable" kind of cold. I was *this close* to staying in bed but motivated myself with the fact that next Saturday I will be in San Diego and not have to do a cold long run. And then maybe winter will be over :). Ha. We were just talking this morning about how disappointing March always turns out to be. It's just another, longer February. The coach says "March is dead to me" after being disappointed year after year when you get your hopes up for spring.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Bride001 she said thank you. Happy Birthday!