Options

Replies

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we cannot learn moderation. Here is why:

Alcohol does not work in moderation. If you havent had a drink in a couple weeks and then try a beer or wine, it will be uncomfortable if not yucky....most likely you wont like it....

Alcohol is only yum when you are drinking it often and in abundance NOT in moderation. You like alcohol when you drink it daily after work, your body know and expects the pleasure....

Therefore, I must bear the bad news that its all or nothing for us borderline alcoholics. I am as sad about it as you

I respectfully disagree. Other than 1 person in my rather large circle of friends and family, every single one of us moderates successfully. In almost every single case it's 2 and done. Others are done with 1.

To be honest, I haven't been around someone who has been drunk in many, many years.

It is most possible to moderate. I have beer in my fridge that can sit for weeks on end to prove it.

The statement that moderation is not possible is a very skewed view of the whole. Perhaps if someone is an alcoholic, then your statement would apply.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    I wished I could remember the procedure the Physical Therapist did with me to eliminate the vertigo. I got it something bad after a drinking spell. I saw it on YouTube as well.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I managed 21 AF days in January, but the 10 drinking days were doozies. I'm starting with a clean slate for February, and plan to stay dry all month. I'd really like to keep it up all the way through my yearly check-up in April, but I'm just taking it one day at a time.

2/1-dry

I drank 12 days out of january...but like you some of those were really heavy....like 4-7glasses of wine?!

My goal for feb is single digits- 9 days (or less) total of drinking.... but ZERO drinking days to exceed one bottle of wine!

Also i am saving $10.00 in a jar each sober day. So last month i saved $180.00
    I liked the little ritual of tossing the money in as i fought my last urge for a night cap...and instead making my cup of tea and heading to bed feeling proud instead of ashamed.

I might be one of the heaviest alcoholics in this thread (averaged close to a bottle of wine six days a week). But i work out 1-2 hours a day and have such a high tolerance that weaning down like this (vs. Abstaining) seems to be the only way i can succeed.

Good luck everyone. Reading these posts (from january) helped me stay focused and i am sure i will need them this month too.

I was drinking 9 beers a night this time last year. I'm down to 6 or 7, and my goal is to keep it at 6. Trying to beat my January 50% success rate. We can do this!

9 Mich Ultras for me for about a year. My tolerance had greatly increased since I retired. I tried moderation, but always found myself back at the 8-9 range. I actually felt better at 5-7. Anyway, early evening on 1/10, I counted the beers I had already drank and I was astounded at the amount. I didn't even feel drunk. I said, "THAT'S ENOUGH!!!" and poured everything out. I felt sort of blah the next day, but again didn't feel that bad. That also was a huge red flag to me! I haven't had a beer since. This evening will be a month alcohol free. It hasn't been easy and I did have some withdrawals because of the amount I was drinking for so long, but it is getting less bad. I am craving sugar, which will have to be dealt with too, since I'm pre-diabetic. :( I've been wanting to take this step for a long time, and so glad I found this thread. Everyone here is doing well. We all know how challenging it is. Wishing all success on your personal alcohol journeys.

Congratulations on your success! Have you thought about sugar free sweets or fruit to curb your sweet tooth?
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I think I'll pass on the event. I think it may make me cave:)

@JulieAL1969 I hate to think about you missing the fun! GO! Think of it as exercising your AF muscle. I know you won't cave after all this time and you will be so proud of yourself when you don't. But I totally respect how you might be fearful.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Got through Mon-Thurs just fine, happy to say. Today is supposedly a day I allow myself to drink, so we'll see how that goes. Need to really focus on just one glass. This week's alcohol-free drink experiment will be Trader Joe's Sparkling White Chardonnay Grape Juice. Just picked up a bottle while I was shopping for other stuff. We shall see. Hard to imagine anything being worse than the Fre chard, now poured out and bottle recycled.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It still baffles me that some people have never experienced a blackout. :open_mouth:

It’s been a long time- do you know about how many drinks it takes to give you a blackout? Two drinks is my happy place too. In terms of books it’s not an alcohol book but it did change my mindset and help me tremendously with anxiety — I loved Practicing the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle - it feeds well into all of this because he teaches you to be the observer of your mind and disregard so much of the thoughts that pop up. For example, lately when I get some cravings for wine- I sort of step outside of my thought and view it and say, oh that’s just my mind wanting a drink but I - ME don’t want to drink. I can be present and disregard that thought and feeling. Sounds weird but it’s really lifechanging

Based on the last two times I blacked out, 5 beers (the last was high gravity) and 4 glasses of wine.

And I love Eckhart Tolle! :)