Replies

• francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    I want to get off the planet
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Okay we're all singles here from very different walks of life and with different values. Let's be friends, seriously. I appreciate you all, even if I wouldn't have sex with you maybe. My comment was tongue in cheek and (I thought) equally self deprecating as it was sarcastically obnoxious. No harm, no foul, please. I was just throwing a curve ball instead of an easy pitch. Us bitter 50 something year old fatty gals are good at that and we love it. Let us have our simple pleasures. But also, let's keep this thread going and not get it shut down. Sorry if I offended.

so no chicken and cuddles?
    dangit :(
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I've tried dating apps, they suck IMO.

That being said, there have been a couple guys I've "met" online through FB or FB groups who, if we lived closer, I would totally date. Unfortunately at this point they're on the other side of the country, but I did meet the one guy when I was out there visiting family and we really hit it off *sad face as I had to head back home*

These are usually people I meet through motorcycle groups, the one I met through a pilon fracture group, but he's a dirt biker, so that's kind of what kicked that off.

Now, if I could find some guys closer to me, that would be grrrreeeaaaattt.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Okay we're all singles here from very different walks of life and with different values. Let's be friends, seriously. I appreciate you all, even if I wouldn't have sex with you maybe. My comment was tongue in cheek and (I thought) equally self deprecating as it was sarcastically obnoxious. No harm, no foul, please. I was just throwing a curve ball instead of an easy pitch. Us bitter 50 something year old fatty gals are good at that and we love it. Let us have our simple pleasures. But also, let's keep this thread going and not get it shut down. Sorry if I offended.

so no chicken and cuddles?
    dangit :(

I am sure she would still be up for that! otherwise, you could still cuddle your dog and still have the chicken... mmm chicken!
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Less quality women. Want to know where all the good men gave gone. Too many women looking to trade up the second they think a better option comes along. Men are tired of it. Tired of paying child support. Tired of losing half our assets when we get divorced. Tired of dying earlier. Tired of working longer hours only to be publicly flogged as "less quality" ...plenty of good men out here. Many are just opting out.

I blame the slogan..."I won't settle." Which is fine for those with desirable traits, but don't expect 6'2" six pack and making 200k Prince charming to come along and date 100% of the single population. Here's a clue. Those men have the women they want. Those men represent less than 1% of the male population. So be very careful with how you define "quality men". Women were once very angry about having to live up to a "Barbie standard" (and rightfully so to be angry...thats unrealistic)...but we need to start having some realistic expectations and conversations about what makes a quality man.

The end.[/quote]

I agree and disagree with your post. I believe women are starting to hold men to higher standards, but that could also be because a few fk boys screwed it up for the rest of you. If a guy portrays himself as all of these things and keeps up the act long enough to get into her pants she will start to believe he really exists.

I for one never thought my standards were super unattainable, because I would never ask of someone else something I couldn’t ask of myself. Honesty is my biggest Quality I look for. If something goes wrong tell me early so that we can deal with it together instead of letting the mess get bigger and telling me when it’s too late.

I’m not gonna ask a guy to be superfit and have a six pack when I know I’m not. Not gonna ask you to have $100,000+ /year when I don’t but I will ask that he not Live paycheck to paycheck because it something I won’t be able to live with. Especially if we share bills. @ 5”3 Everyone is taller than me.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Has anyone had a good experience with a dating app??????

THIS isn't a dating app?
    I knew I was in the wrong place.

It can be, lol. I did actually date someone from here (long-distance) for about 5 or so months, first person I dated after my separation.

define long distance? lol

This is a good question. Really. Dating apps put people who are like minded but far apart readily together. Making it seem like a compatible relationship...in 2018 how does distance play into Dating? How far apart is everyone here willing to "reach" for love/hookups/whatever your bag is.

Agreed. The internet makes the world much smaller in terms of making others more accessible. However, it's not only distance which is the hurdle. Time, other people, work, and most importantly finances come into play. Add to it that it's one thing to text, Skype/Facetime, someone. But, if you want/need a hug, newer long-distance relationships lack that.

I once got involved with a gal that's 1,000 miles from me. Flew down to meet her in person and spend the weekend with her. She then made the comment of "when you fly me back to your place over the next few months" put the final nail in the coffin. We both make decent salaries. But, if I am paying for my flight down, she better pay for hers up. I already had a wife who basically was a freeloader at the end of our marriage. Not doing it again. The other deal breakers were allergies to animals, perfume and dust. I walked in her house and almost went into respiratory issues from it all.
  • jagrippa33
    jagrippa33 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Well I have went from serious relationship to serious relationship almost non stop since 1995. I have never really done the single dating scene. Now here I am in 2018 41 single and not really knowing how to do it! I live in a small town and the pickings are slim! I don’t even really know how to ask someone out. It’s a frustrating spot to be in but at the same time I am enjoying not having the pressure and responsibilities of being in a relationship! I still think deep down I don’t really like the thought of being alone since I’ve never really done it! I tried a dating app but I found that it isn’t really for me! I think the women on those sites get bombarded with messages from guys and if you aren’t real smooth or suave you aren’t getting a response! Idk not for me! There is a band playing tomorrow night and would love to have someone to go with but I look through my phone, Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram accounts and I’m like dang! There is nobody to ask! I don’t know I saw this thread and thought maybe this is where people will share my frustration. Anyways you all have a good night!
  • Ready2befithealthy
    Ready2befithealthy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know I need to see what to do also. I haven’t dated in over 20 years. Ugh...I’m sure things have changed a bit.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    LOL Man, I hope I never have to find out! I haven’t dated since 1977.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    I know I need to see what to do also. I haven’t dated in over 20 years. Ugh...I’m sure things have changed a bit.

Yep, was a shocker to me when finding myself single again after 20+ years. Things changed, a lot!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    siddbucks wrote: »
    I am opting out of dating altogether in 2018. I am working on my PhD and I really don’t have time for anyone. Whatever little time I get I just go to the gym or play soccer. I love myself.

I respect this...very healthy attitude
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I should give up or just change my MO. Between the children, karate and church; there is no time left for going out anywhere where I might find someone to date. There is no one in those areas so I'm pretty much doomed to being single until something changes
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I would never want to date in 2018. It seems (some) people aren't looking for a connection or commitment. That's not my style. So, whew I'm glad for that.
  • MommyonAmissontoHealth13
    Options
    now of days its all about either hooking up or just online dating and through apps. no one really truly dates anymore its sad. i mean look at tinder, and other apps like that.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I guess I'm just too gullible to be in a mutually trusting and caring relationship
  • mybfisred
    mybfisred Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    It's possible to find a connection. Breakfast in bed, dinners out, lots of laughs...but for me nothing's ever 100% things in life can change in a heartbeat...so learning to enjoy good friendships, relationships, and alone time has been successful
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    mybfisred wrote: »
    It's possible to find a connection. Breakfast in bed, dinners out, lots of laughs...but for me nothing's ever 100% things in life can change in a heartbeat...so learning to enjoy good friendships, relationships, and alone time has been successful

Well said. :)