Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh no! But dinner will be fun. Maybe a movie?
  • Cardinals_3
    Cardinals_3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have trouble sleeping after you quit or cut back? Any recommendations? I've been waking up A LOT at night. Someone at work recommended taking GABA supplements--I took one last night and I did fall asleep easily but then was up half the night. I fell asleep ok at a reasonable hour and slept until about 1:30 am but then I was wide awake and could not fall back asleep until about 5am. I'm not really a big fan of tea--I thought about trying a sleepytime tea or something like that.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @erikNJ I'm going to two hour mediation workshop at my yoga studio. Makes me think of your yoga goal.

That is great! I have always just done it in my living room, maybe i will get to the point of going tona studio one day. I really felt much better when I did it a few years back. I’m sticking to it this time!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @Cardinals_3, yes, yes yes! The sleep troubles were the very worst part of going AF at first for me. One night I was up literally the entire night. Finally gave up at 5:30 a.m. and just got up for the day. Ugh! I finally went to a wellness-oriented pharmacy nearby and consulted with their "wellness" person. Told her I was giving up alcohol. It had been I think 7 or 8 days at that point, and I was still having sleep problems. She recommended a supplement that supposedly would help restore the sleep cycle. She said that at first the liver does a lot of "work" at night getting back to normal. The supplement is Kavinace Ultra PM by NeuroScience. It definitely does the trick. I've been sleeping like a baby since then. There are 30 in a bottle, and she said to take them and then my sleep should be ok without them. The ingredients are basically melatonin and GABA. Good luck. I feel your pain!
  • DCRunnerGirl78
    DCRunnerGirl78 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Great job! 10 mile run! I thought I was doing good just to get to the grocery store before 8am! :smiley:

@dressagerider1020 Groceries before 8am is a MUCH bigger accomplishment in my books!

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have trouble sleeping after you quit or cut back? Any recommendations? I've been waking up A LOT at night. Someone at work recommended taking GABA supplements--I took one last night and I did fall asleep easily but then was up half the night. I fell asleep ok at a reasonable hour and slept until about 1:30 am but then I was wide awake and could not fall back asleep until about 5am. I'm not really a big fan of tea--I thought about trying a sleepytime tea or something like that.

I think it’s common - especially if alcohol was used right before bed as a nightcap. I recommend chelated magnesium, and melatonin. Also make sure you go to bed and get up at the same time, it helps your body know when is time for sleep and don’t nap. I’m positive it will get better. I do drink tea before bed sometimes the Yogi bedtime is tasty.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone ... I've enjoyed catching up on the posts. On Friday night, I did feel a few "I want to have a drink" pangs ... there was a fairly big snowfall in our city, and I had to drive across town, which can be very stressful under bad conditions. Normally, I would comfort myself by saying, take it easy; there's wine waiting when you get home! Now, it's just "take it easy: .... (Kind of like what was said to me in the days of beginning to run, "Slow down, and then taper ...").

I think the drinking served as a reward system (as smoking did years ago) ... but I guess I am rewarding myself plenty by not drinking. I bought some AF chardonnay today; don't know if I'll save it for Valentine's day. Guess I'll be happy if it is not too disappointing. I would have said while drinking that I drink for taste, and I never really liked the feeling of being drunk, which is probably why I ate so much while drinking. As I often compared bad wine to "beer mixed with grape juice" I don't know what to expect of the AF wine. Also bought some Kombucha, which I rather like, too.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Morning all - confession time, went to a cajun kitchen last night and had beer cuz the bartender asked me if I wanted a drink while I waited for my food....should have avoided sitting at the bar

Huge win that you only had the one! New start today.
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I ordered the book by Allen Carr. Quit Drinking the Easy Way. Has anybody read this one? It's in my mailbox right now and I will start it after work tonight. So far this month I'm off the mark...Only 3 AF days so far, Bah!! Hoping this book has some good ideas
  • dressagerider1020
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    I ordered the book by Allen Carr. Quit Drinking the Easy Way. Has anybody read this one? It's in my mailbox right now and I will start it after work tonight. So far this month I'm off the mark...Only 3 AF days so far, Bah!! Hoping this book has some good ideas

3 days is excellent! I hope you let us know if you like the book, and if it's helpful for you.
  • dressagerider1020
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Epic fail last night! I went to my grandson's bday party. I did good there with 2 small cups of red wine. THEN my husband being the alcohol bully that he is took us to the neighborhood pizza place with my parents and the wine flowed there!!!

One good thing I guess I can say came out of it is that I didnt smoke!

Not smoking is great! It's another day, keep trying, that's what I'm doing :)
  • dressagerider1020
    Options
    @Skyweigh, I do the same thing sometimes, use it as a reward after something really bad or really good. And I think you're right, we're better off rewarding ourselves without it. But if there's a slip, we always have another chance.

When did you stop smoking? That was really hard for me. It seems like it might be easier these days, since you can't smoke anywhere anymore. I remember smoking at my desk at work, and big ashtrays in the hallways. Man, I'm really old :'(
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »

I'd be waiting for the review