Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Thank you @pinuplove
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,589 Member
    Are all food scales created equal?

Hi. I have an OXO. Had it for years and don't remember exactly how much it costs. Not a whole lot as I'm a tightwad.

HTH.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    What about frozen veggies do we weigh them frozen, cooked, or thawed?

I weigh mine frozen, cook them, and then subtract the weight of the packaging for the steam-in-bag ones. If it's not a steam in bag package, then weigh it frozen outside of the packaging.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Bump
  • Great reminder to all of us not so newbies too!!! Damn I need to find my food scale!!!! :)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I have had my scale for a week now. Perhaps I need a life but I really enjoy using it. I always thought they were a lot more expensive and confusing to use.

I got a TFAL at Canadian tire. Regular $30 but was on sale for $20. It was not expensive at all.
    I use the zero/tare button and it could not be easier.
  • quiksylver296
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I have been on MFP for 6 years, I was successful at losing weight and hitting my goal without a food scale, since then I had another baby, gained all the weight back, and over the past year and 3 months I have very slowly been losing it, I have my calories set low to make up for over estimating, that being said, I realize how stupid that all sounds and finally ordered a food scale, It comes today :):D and food prep bento boxes.

Let us know what you think!
  • quiksylver296
    yoliyoda wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I bought a food scale yesterday.

Yay! Tell us something you learn when you start using it.
  • quiksylver296
    I weigh everything. One thing I found interesting is that the slices of bread in a loaf of bread can vary 10-30% in weight because of the tapered ends and slope of the bread. This doesn't apply to sandwich style bread where the slices are consistent.

True.
  • quiksylver296
    Bump.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    I utilize a food scale for everything thats solid but it brings up another question. When it comes to liquids, do you all trust a liquid measuring cup? Since most liquids do not give weight but fl oz.

I weigh liquids, personally. I know "they" say to use measuring cups for liquids, but it hasn't affected my weight loss at all and I'd rather not wash a measuring cup. So, I just put my coffee cup on the scale and weigh my creamer (or whatever). If my weight loss ever stalls, that is one thing I know I can tighten up on.

Me too. And I think the difference is so small.If you always have steady deficit, it won't make a huge difference or stall your weight loss.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    There are times when eyeballing your portions is the only option, but the scales are invaluable at home.