How to approach girls in the gym???

Options

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    My bf of 4 years and I met at the gym. Tbh I kind of approached him. My workout buddy got sick and I asked if I could work in with him (very small gym). He then found me on FB, so didn't ask for my number and didn't make me feel uncomfortable in any way. I found out later that he'd seen me at the gym and worked out when I did but didn't want to be one of the guys to bother a girl while she's working out. To me, he was just a regular and we recognized each other and it organically happened.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    if a guy liked me enough to hit on me when i was at the gym with a top knot and big ol teeshirt i’d be stoked like ‘man wait til he sees me when i’m cute’

but i think reading the replies i’m in the minority so proceed with caution

I was going to say the same if I'm getting hit on while I'm in my gym clothes and all hot n sweaty either the guy has low standard or I'm doing something right lol some random guy stopped me while I was out walking the dog (muddy boots jeans and jacket) and said god you've got a lovely bum :o I skipped home that day
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    if a guy liked me enough to hit on me when i was at the gym with a top knot and big ol teeshirt i’d be stoked like ‘man wait til he sees me when i’m cute’

but i think reading the replies i’m in the minority so proceed with caution

I was going to say the same if I'm getting hit on while I'm in my gym clothes and all hot n sweaty either the guy has low standard or I'm doing something right lol some random guy stopped me while I was out walking the dog (muddy boots jeans and jacket) and said god you've got a lovely bum :o I skipped home that day

I love this. What I wouldn't give to have this happen - it puts a spring in your step every time!!! hahahahahaha

• MandyPie621
    MandyPie621 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »
    I can think of a couple of guys at my gym that I'd be happy to have approach me! Haha...but, not in the middle of my workout. Make some eye contact, smile and say hey how's it going! Be friendly and casual, don't be creepy or overbearing. You'll know pretty fast if the girl is on the same page. Try that a few times and then if you're feeling particularly ballsy one day, try and catch her on her way out and make some small talk. Work up to it...be cool. ;)
    I agree with you! If you are interested in someone, wait to chat them up on their way out.. I think meeting people at the Gym would be a good thing.. you already know you have at least one thing in common and are like minded in your goals of being healthy.. seems like a good foundation to me!
  • MandyPie621
    MandyPie621 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    in the gym... no.

instead

just wait for them in the parking lot

inside their car

in the backseat.

HAHAHAHAHAHa... yea... I'm gonna say not the best way to a lasting relationship!!! But thanks for the laugh!! :smiley:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just stare at me on and off but then mostly on. I'll look back at you and you hold eye contact on me without looking away and then smile slightly.

I'll come up to you and say "Why are you staring at me? And are you laughing at me?"

And then you say, like, "I just think you're pretty. I wasn't, like, laughing at you."

And then I'll say, "Oh. Okay. I thought you were laughing at me but I guess you were just smiling. Do you like my outfit?"

Then, you should say, "Yes, it's beautiful. And why are you even here? You don't need a gym."

And I'll be like "Oh sure Rico Suave. Don't act like you don't notice that I have over 100 pounds to loose!"

And they you should go "Hey, nothing wrong with that Anna Nicole. I like 'em phat and fluffy all the way."

Then me and you can just skip the workout, skip the shower, and we'll just, like, walk out hand in hand and go get some ice cream or something.

.... or something
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bring me a dozen donuts and maybe I'll talk to you.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I genuinely feel sorry for single men. There's so many social situations they're expected to navigate and they feel like they're wrong no matter what they do.

I've been given chances.

They are named

Fat

&

No
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Here come the woos, but.... Anyone who refuses to talk to someone else in the gym isn't worth your time. They clearly think they are perfect and don't need interaction with the likes of you or anyone else to better themselves.
    For those of you that want to hate me for saying that think about the possibility that someone wants to give you a tip on form or they want to let you know there is a huge hole in your pants or your shoe is untied or that they admire your strength, stamina, weight loss, etc. Not every person who speaks to you at the gym wants in your pants or is a waste of your precious time.

This right here. I guess I must live a rarefied existence or something, but as long as the guy doesn't come across as a lecherous pervert, I would be flattered and/or just assume he was friendly. Again, I haven't had it happen to me, so I can't speak for others, but from my point of view as long as he isn't making weird sexual comments or touching inappropriately, I see it as a positive interaction... even if the man isn't attractive (not saying the OP isn't attractive, I"m just speaking generally here), what's the harm in having a little flirtatious/friendly conversation?

Dang!

...... I'm out
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    A "friend" that I know, was convinced to skip the gym before entering and go stuff my, I mean, "their" face with burgers and beer. Nothing says fitness than eating burgers and fries and throwing back pints while still in your workout gear.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You don't bro. Just don't.

What you could perhaps try is just a nice easy smile and a maybe a little greeting in passing. That way if she is interested she now has an opening.

I have actually made small talk with a few woman by complimenting their form and then asked them for advice on how to improve mine. Which then lead to more open conversation over time. But you need to be sincere about it. In other words don’t lie about it, find something that she is doing with truer form than yourself.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Say "Good morning" with a big smile when you see her. Then based on her reaction you should get an idea of how to proceed.
    I used to speak to no one at the gym. No one. Now I have made friends that I will go out with outside of the gym, I know about their families, their jobs, etc. I go to the gym to get *kitten* done and anyone there that knows me would say that I am one of the hardest working people there, but that doesn't mean I don't have time to be friendly. Yes, my time is limited and I work out hard, but I have learned a ton by being open to speaking to other people.
    Here come the woos, but.... Anyone who refuses to talk to someone else in the gym isn't worth your time. They clearly think they are perfect and don't need interaction with the likes of you or anyone else to better themselves.
    For those of you that want to hate me for saying that think about the possibility that someone wants to give you a tip on form or they want to let you know there is a huge hole in your pants or your shoe is untied or that they admire your strength, stamina, weight loss, etc. Not every person who speaks to you at the gym wants in your pants or is a waste of your precious time.

I don't need or want a tip on form, if my form is *kitten* for a rep, I know it is, I'm aware if there's a hole in my pants, if my shoes untied - I meant it to be. And my time is precious. I will never understand why people get mad if other people don't want to have the same experience they do. Maybe they are having their own experience, and I doubt you'd like it being forced on you as well.

lol what a ridiculous comment.

So... you mean to have your shoes untied? What if it comes untied while you are on the treadmill and you are to busy on your phone to notice it? That could be dangerous.

Also I have to point out that your are mad that someone else is having a different experience then you do.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    I like to leave my pheromones (sweat all over the bench). They seem to love that, and makes for a great conversation starter.
  • brittyn3
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Say "Good morning" with a big smile when you see her. Then based on her reaction you should get an idea of how to proceed.
    I used to speak to no one at the gym. No one. Now I have made friends that I will go out with outside of the gym, I know about their families, their jobs, etc. I go to the gym to get *kitten* done and anyone there that knows me would say that I am one of the hardest working people there, but that doesn't mean I don't have time to be friendly. Yes, my time is limited and I work out hard, but I have learned a ton by being open to speaking to other people.

I don't need or want a tip on form, if my form is *kitten* for a rep, I know it is, I'm aware if there's a hole in my pants, if my shoes untied - I meant it to be. And my time is precious. I will never understand why people get mad if other people don't want to have the same experience they do. Maybe they are having their own experience, and I doubt you'd like it being forced on you as well.

So... you mean to have your shoes untied? What if it comes untied while you are on the treadmill and you are to busy on your phone to notice it? That could be dangerous.

Also I have to point out that your are mad that someone else is having a different experience then you do.

I'm not mad that someone else is having a different experience, I'm "mad" someone is saying that I think I'm too good for everyone because I don't want to share their experience. Why not just do you? When did that go out of style.

My shoes don't come untied on the treadmill. And if it does I'm aware. I'm glad you assume I'm on my phone while running. Have you ever tried texting and running? It's quite "dangerous" as you would say.
  • brittyn3
    Options

Responding to the bold - so what if I don't need or want interaction with someone else at the gym - on MY time. I have plenty of work to do before I'm anywhere near "perfect". Your forced interaction isn't going to bring any more quality to my life, let alone my workout. It would be different if I was sitting at a bar, looking around, making eye contact at people. I have to be social at my job all day, constantly being interrupted or solving problems for other people - you better believe when I'm at the gym I'm having the experience I want. ME TIME.

JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for single men. There's so many social situations they're expected to navigate and they feel like they're wrong no matter what they do.

Considering I've been harassed on the street since I was like 14- I don't feel all that bad.

Yes, this would make a difference, I suppose. I've never been harassed so I can't speak for everyone. I just didn't see what he was wanting to do as harassment, but I guess I could see why others might take it that way.

You appear to be a grown good looking woman. I have a hard time believing you have NEVER ever been whistled at- cat called or leered at in public.

erm- maybe they have social anxiety? maybe they are having a bad day- maybe their dad just died- maybe they are in a hurry and don't have time to chat- maybe they are doing interval training and can't actually talk (had that happen before- someone got super huffy- I was USING A BLOODY TIMER that beeped at 10 and 40 second intervals- it was 12 minutes of work- GO AWAY)

I am a very social person- I generally don't understand the "I never ever talk to people at the gym" mentality- because I'm just way to effing social for that- but there are days- where no- I don't want to talk to anyone- I don't have time to get wrapped up in a conversation- and there is no guarantee that "hey man what's up" won't turn into a flipping 20 min discussion about why your leg hurts. So sometimes yes- it's safer to not talk. But that doesn't mean people who don't talk to other people think they are perfect- there are a whole HOST of reasons why and it isn't always about some one being aloof.

There is room in the middle my friend.

if people dont wanna talk to other people coz they think other people got nothing to offer them that’s f-ed up

thats what i get from what @lstrat115 said

dont be so easily offended

I may have misunderstood who you're directing the "not being offended" comment at. I don't see where I'm offended? Speaking on my own experiences that differ from someone else, doesn't automatically make you offended...