Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    So I knitted a sweater coat for my 4 yr old granddaughter, a sweater for her baby sister, and crocheted a hat for her little brother. Was so excited when I shipped the box! They got it and the hat fit my grandson, the sweater fit my baby granddaughter, and the sweater coat fit their mother. :( I look at too many patterns and used the wrong yarn. I felt like crap. Ran out and bought the right yarn,that day and started another one. Yesterday, when I was almost 3/4 done, I measured what would be the chest. (I had just gotten to it). It measured 32" and I was knitting a 26" chest. So, I ripped it out. So frustrating! Started over. Anyway, the good news is that I stayed within my drinking limit in spite of undoing 3 weeks of work.

I am a knit-wit and hooker, too .... and I undo way more than I ever finish. It used to be that I hadn't the patience when younger, and I used to enjoy drinking wine while working with yarn .... but I can't say that now I'm dry that I'm making less mistakes. It is wonderful that you can finish so many projects. I believe in swatches, but in theory only, I'm afraid. With knitting, I have to use life-lines a lot ... these days it's mostly crochet projects though because it does seem easier to back-track - yet I think knitting really is more versatile.

Kudos to you, and I hope you are not too hard on yourself about ripping out your work. It's very zen, I think, lol.

Tonight I tried a non-alcoholic chardonnay that was too expensive (meaning, there are wines I used to drink sometimes at the same price). I think I had a bit of the feeling of a glass of wine, but it didn't make me feel good, really, and I don't think I'd buy it again. I'm just as happy with soda and fruit drink concoctions, kombucha, or tea.

Don't really know what I was expecting ... to like a wine without the warmth and buzz? At least it wasn't too sweet.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    snoo61 wrote: »
    So I knitted a sweater coat for my 4 yr old granddaughter, a sweater for her baby sister, and crocheted a hat for her little brother. Was so excited when I shipped the box! They got it and the hat fit my grandson, the sweater fit my baby granddaughter, and the sweater coat fit their mother. :( I look at too many patterns and used the wrong yarn. I felt like crap. Ran out and bought the right yarn,that day and started another one. Yesterday, when I was almost 3/4 done, I measured what would be the chest. (I had just gotten to it). It measured 32" and I was knitting a 26" chest. So, I ripped it out. So frustrating! Started over. Anyway, the good news is that I stayed within my drinking limit in spite of undoing 3 weeks of work.

I am a knit-wit and hooker, too .... and I undo way more than I ever finish. It used to be that I hadn't the patience when younger, and I used to enjoy drinking wine while working with yarn .... but I can't say that now I'm dry that I'm making less mistakes. It is wonderful that you can finish so many projects. I believe in swatches, but in theory only, I'm afraid. With knitting, I have to use life-lines a lot ... these days it's mostly crochet projects though because it does seem easier to back-track - yet I think knitting really is more versatile.

Kudos to you, and I hope you are not too hard on yourself about ripping out your work. It's very zen, I think, lol.

Tonight I tried a non-alcoholic chardonnay that was too expensive (meaning, there are wines I used to drink sometimes at the same price). I think I had a bit of the feeling of a glass of wine, but it didn't make me feel good, really, and I don't think I'd buy it again. I'm just as happy with soda and fruit drink concoctions, kombucha, or tea.

Don't really know what I was expecting ... to like a wine without the warmth and buzz? At least it wasn't too sweet.

The funny thing is, that I don't knit or crochet once I start drinking. I've learned, lol. I just made a mistake on yarn the first time. The second time I was so upset that I broke her heart that I started without doing a swatch.
    I agree that crochet is easier to undo, and faster! But the sweater coat is so freaking adorable she needs it.
    Are you on ravelry? Its great!
    Thank you for responding to my venting.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @snoo61 ... yes, I'm on ravelry as Pianorose (I think?) I don't post many projects but I download a lot of patterns. I like to watch tv, so not good at doing anything too complicated. It puts a little space between me and some of the violent scenes, without losing the thread (yarn?) of a good drama .... so maybe for me
    yarnwork has been one of the more challenging activities in going AF.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Awesome @MissMay !!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 Thanks for posting that video of what alcohol does to your body and face. It's excellent incentive to stay dry.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,560 Member
    Options
    just wanted to share a link to a no nonsense motivational video I just watched
    This is by the author of the book "alcohol lied to me".

THANKS for sharing. This is so true!!! :(

• runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    My trigger is just plain old habit. Going out to dinner. Drinks. Hanging out with friends. Drinks. Going to a concert. Drinks. Cooking. Drinks. Eating. Drinks. Cleaning...meh, yeah sometimes that involves drinks too. Maybe if I just stuck to working, running and playing with my dog I would be okay.

This describes me perfectly too!! Just any "ol reason I could come up with would work!
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How many of you out there are struggling with the not drinking/still want to lose weight issue?

It's driving me nuts. I decided to not obsess over what I was eating because trying to abstain from alcohol was enough and I should put all my energy there. But after a day or two of "not caring" what I eat, I can already feel myself gaining weight. Even though I've cut the drinking way way down. :( So then, even if I've been sober for a few days, I still feel like *kitten* b/c of how I'm eating. So I either get depressed or I obsess about what I'm eating. It's a vicious cycle and I hate it.
    I'm not sure what the correct direction is for me.

I'm a runner, so I not only am trying to cut back on alcohol, but I'm focusing on a new training plan as well. I'm only into the first week of training but I can tell the nightly exercise is definitely beneficial. I'm not sure if I'll loose any weight yet, but I feel like I shouldn't gain this way, even if I eat a bit more to compensation for not having the drinks. Good luck finding your balance.
  • snoo61
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    @snoo61 ... yes, I'm on ravelry as Pianorose (I think?) I don't post many projects but I download a lot of patterns. I like to watch tv, so not good at doing anything too complicated. It puts a little space between me and some of the violent scenes, without losing the thread (yarn?) of a good drama .... so maybe for me
    yarnwork has been one of the more challenging activities in going AF.

I'm Snoo61 on rav. I am finding that if I work on a project while I watch tv, I drink less. I guess because I start later.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! A few sentences like this help to keep me positive, knowing that I only feel good when I do not drink.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How many of you out there are struggling with the not drinking/still want to lose weight issue?

It's driving me nuts. I decided to not obsess over what I was eating because trying to abstain from alcohol was enough and I should put all my energy there. But after a day or two of "not caring" what I eat, I can already feel myself gaining weight. Even though I've cut the drinking way way down. :( So then, even if I've been sober for a few days, I still feel like *kitten* b/c of how I'm eating. So I either get depressed or I obsess about what I'm eating. It's a vicious cycle and I hate it.
    I'm not sure what the correct direction is for me.

I'm a runner, so I not only am trying to cut back on alcohol, but I'm focusing on a new training plan as well. I'm only into the first week of training but I can tell the nightly exercise is definitely beneficial. I'm not sure if I'll loose any weight yet, but I feel like I shouldn't gain this way, even if I eat a bit more to compensation for not having the drinks. Good luck finding your balance.

Thanks! You're right, it's all about finding my balance, being kind to myself and being patient with myself!
  • angelayogalv
    angelayogalv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a daft question - but can you 'join' this group just by commenting?! I have been logging onto MFP, tracking food and exercise and reading success stories for inspiration, but this thread I love!
  • snoo61
    Options
    Sorry if this is a daft question - but can you 'join' this group just by commenting?! I have been logging onto MFP, tracking food and exercise and reading success stories for inspiration, but this thread I love!

Yes, welcome to the group!