Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    News on the post bulk.

Two weeks at deficit (almost, as have been really hungry trying to cut down to 2250 instead of 3000 per day and first week was zero deficit) and I am losing again. 1.6 lbs down, 32 or so to go. Have been playing with eating 2710ish training days and 1600ish rest days. Ooof, no matter which way I slice it my belly wants more food! My maintenance cals are 2600ish so the deficit is not steep! But am soldiering on. Next diet break not too far off, holiday in Easter break end of March.

Maybe 14 days at maintenance post bulk would have been a more gradual approach?
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! I'm still very much focusing on behaviors and compliance, as I still am finding that stepping on the scale and dealing with fluctuations was playing into my "getting into disordered territory" thinking.

One major on the cusp of victory I've managed to eke out of myself is forcing myself to log my off piste behavior, even if it was retroactive logging. I have found that to be a game changer in several ways.

The first time I logged it, I was surprised to find out I was only over maintenance by 400 calories.

The second time I logged it, I did it after I ate the whole bag of chocolate nutty bites, but on the same day, and I managed my behavior the rest of the day, fighting the "eff it, might as well go all in now" voice in the back of my head that usually wins on those occasions. I logged the rest of the day and somehow managed, in spite of those 1100 calories of chocolate bliss, to have a small deficit for the day. I also managed to have my full protein intake. We won't tell my doctor about my fat intake, though.

The third time I was tempted to go off piste, I had two potato chips, logged them and decided I didn't want any more because I really wanted the popcorn I had planned later that night, so I told my inner binge girl to stfu. This was just yesterday. The popcorn was awesome, btw.

That's very much my approach - my off pistes tend to be too much wine then screw it food related. I have a TDEE estimation spreadsheet courtesy of r/loseit, and I've made it my goal to log an accurate count from MFP in there as far as I am able, even if it contains too much booze and Marmite on toast!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, I'm always good about having a great recovery evening meal, so body can really do something with it overnight during the major repair time. But it can be hard when not feeling hungry.
    But the next day refill many times going on still.

Especially if a major calorie burn from endurance cardio - I'll still be refilling muscle stores the next day, prior to another likely workout that evening.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with myself at the moment. I've had the same deficit level for a couple of months now, but lately, I haven't been able to limit myself to that level, and I find myself hungry and feeling a little deprived. I haven't lost anything in over 2 weeks and instead have been bouncing around the same 0.5 lb gain, and my measurements haven't changed in a month. It's almost like my body is forcing me into a diet break or has decided to take one for itself!

I'm still trying to get to the point where I can mentally accept that, though. I'm having a hard time giving myself that permission for a long term break, especially as I still haven't hit my current short goal of 260 lbs. I had told myself that once I hit 260, I'd take a month or two diet break; well, my body seems to have decided it didn't want to wait lol I guess its still trying to play catch-up with the major changes that has happened to it this year!

Though I'm still not sure if I should officially raise my calorie limit to a maintenance level. I'm eating over my 1400 calorie limit pretty much every day, but find that since I hate seeing a red number, once it the negative part gets to 100 or so, its easier to stop. I'd be afraid that if I raised it to say 2000 that I'd still end up going over.

I swear that the mental war is so much harder than the actual physical one!

Remind me what size deficit that is for you? It may simply be too aggressive for you, even if all the general rules of thumb on what you should be able to sustain say otherwise. I say take a break, even just for a couple of weeks, then restart with a higher calorie limit.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    nexangelus wrote: »
    News on the post bulk.

Two weeks at deficit (almost, as have been really hungry trying to cut down to 2250 instead of 3000 per day and first week was zero deficit) and I am losing again. 1.6 lbs down, 32 or so to go. Have been playing with eating 2710ish training days and 1600ish rest days. Ooof, no matter which way I slice it my belly wants more food! My maintenance cals are 2600ish so the deficit is not steep! But am soldiering on. Next diet break not too far off, holiday in Easter break end of March.

Maybe 14 days at maintenance post bulk would have been a more gradual approach?

Dang. Wish I could eat that much. I'm on the poverty macros for life team.

Just what I was thinking! Only on the rarest of my most active days ...
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! I'm still very much focusing on behaviors and compliance, as I still am finding that stepping on the scale and dealing with fluctuations was playing into my "getting into disordered territory" thinking.

One major on the cusp of victory I've managed to eke out of myself is forcing myself to log my off piste behavior, even if it was retroactive logging. I have found that to be a game changer in several ways.

The first time I logged it, I was surprised to find out I was only over maintenance by 400 calories.

The second time I logged it, I did it after I ate the whole bag of chocolate nutty bites, but on the same day, and I managed my behavior the rest of the day, fighting the "eff it, might as well go all in now" voice in the back of my head that usually wins on those occasions. I logged the rest of the day and somehow managed, in spite of those 1100 calories of chocolate bliss, to have a small deficit for the day. I also managed to have my full protein intake. We won't tell my doctor about my fat intake, though.

The third time I was tempted to go off piste, I had two potato chips, logged them and decided I didn't want any more because I really wanted the popcorn I had planned later that night, so I told my inner binge girl to stfu. This was just yesterday. The popcorn was awesome, btw.

That's very much my approach - my off pistes tend to be too much wine then screw it food related. I have a TDEE estimation spreadsheet courtesy of r/loseit, and I've made it my goal to log an accurate count from MFP in there as far as I am able, even if it contains too much booze and Marmite on toast!

Marmite?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Marmite?

It's a yeast spread, and people either love it or hate it. In NZ there's a whole Marmite vs Vegemite 'thing' as to which is better (and our Marmite is different to the UK's Marmite, which is called something else here due to trademarking stuff). During the big Christchurch earthquake in 2011, the factory that makes Marmite was damaged, so there was none produced for ages, Marmitaggedon. People were selling both opened and unopened jars online for exorbitant prices. I actually didn't discover that I prefer Marmite to Vegemite until after the fact, so was unaffected.

But yeah, marmite and butter on a good grainy toast can chew through some serious cals (the Marmite being almost none of them). One of those things that I now don't eat because I refuse to believe there is such a thing as good gluten-free bread, so those food intolerances of mine are handy for some things!
  • Terebynthia
    Options
    So you're a commercial archaeologist? Cool! :)

Nony has already covered Marmite, apart from it's the food of the gods. Fight me :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

(the British version is very strong - a bit like Gentleman's Relish (although it tastes nothing like it), it has very divided opinions. You either love it or hate it, it's not a foodstuff that inspires meh). It's vegan, and fortified with various stuff so useful for vegans. I've tried the New Zealand Marmite (and the Australian Vegemite) but the UK version has the place in my heart - it tastes more intense to me. What you grow up with, I guess.
  • Terebynthia
    Options
    I'm a Marmite XO girl though. I like the hard stuff ;)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Are your workouts in the morning to benefit from increased eating that day?

If in the evening, may I suggest increased level the 24 hrs after the workout.
    Get the 24 hrs reduced level prior to workout. Except for whatever is needed to have a good workout.

Since recovery and repair happens 24-48 hr after a good workout, that could be why you are hungry.

I train in the gym for an hour to ninety mins three days per week (usually Tues, Thurs and Sat), evenings post work. I cycle to and from work, so have cardio sorted for the week. Sometimes I take extra walks (an hour plus) for relaxation and extra deficit, etc.

I managed to lose fine and with not much hunger, before the bulk, just doing 2250 plus or minus the extra exercise cals...daily...now I seem to be ravenous no matter which combo I try. I adjusted today's 1600 to 2710 as I have pulled my lower back (one arm rows, wth?!) and cannot stop the hunger urges. Do not want to binge, as have been binge free for a long, long time now. Am I thirsty instead of hungry? I drink 2 litres at least daily of liquids, so I do not think it is that...

To the ladies who wish they could eat more...I am a larger lady (172lbs at the moment). I decided to eat at a surplus whilst not so lean, to deal with the psychological remnants of my ED. It helped loads, while I had eaten up to 3000 cals in a controlled manner, training for a sprint triathlon a few years before, my mind had not quite caught up with the body at that stage.

Thanks @heybales for the tips!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    Options
    So did the thread ever get nominated for sticky-dom and did we end up with any new nuggets out of the women's book?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just saying hello to all. Haven't had much to add to the discussion but have been following....