Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Not only on tv shows but every other song on the radio. And try buying a birthday card for someone that doesn't make a reference to alcohol. Once I started noticing these things I am seeing them everywhere.

The list is endless. Shirts, kitchen towel sets, glass ware, pillows, novelty plaques.....and on and on.
    My kitchen used to look like a bar room no thanks to my husbands Mother who would incorporate a drinking theme in every gift she bought him. A few years back I decided to make over my kitchen and "de-toxic" it. I reclaimed an entire 2 shelf cupboard that was a make shift bar. UGH.
    Makes a better impression now when I have people over.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I arrived a week early for the lunch that I thought was yesterday. LOL Walked around Charming Charlie's and was amazed at how many items have a reference to alcohol. As someone else mentioned, it's everywhere.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    It’s funny my parents and their friends growing up never drank alcohol - but they had so much fun. Game nights and family bbqs and sports, camping and picnics. They would stay out late totally booze free. It’s too bad that drinking is so synonymous with “fun” but it doesn’t have to be. I want to make my life more “fun” like it was growing up. However because there was no wine beer or liquor in the house it was like this forbidden fruit. I want my kids to see it as something to be enjoyed lightly and infrequently.

This is how my parents and their friends and us kids grew up to. I am not sure when it all turned in the other direction to where the main question was not what are we going to do for fun, but to, how much booze is there going to be? Makes me sad.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Saturday night I went to an event --- an art show/memorial/party for an artist friend. It was nice that they did provide an AF punch --- along with plenty of wine! I did have a sip (and I do mean a thimbleful) to taste .... something called Sir Perry Pear Cider. So I still count it as an AF day. Although there were many people there who were drinking, and I'd shared plenty of wine with them before ... no one really questioned or challenged my choice. I did eat too many treats, though ;)

I didn't really notice people drinking on TV -- But I sure did previous times when I tried to go AF for a bit, and I did identify the feeling of wanting a glass of wine stemming from that. This time it really hasn't bothered me though, and I'm pretty happy without.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    Saturday night I went to an event --- an art show/memorial/party for an artist friend. It was nice that they did provide an AF punch --- along with plenty of wine! I did have a sip (and I do mean a thimbleful) to taste .... something called Sir Perry Pear Cider. So I still count it as an AF day. Although there were many people there who were drinking, and I'd shared plenty of wine with them before ... no one really questioned or challenged my choice. I did eat too many treats, though ;)

I didn't really notice people drinking on TV -- But I sure did previous times when I tried to go AF for a bit, and I did identify the feeling of wanting a glass of wine stemming from that. This time it really hasn't bothered me though, and I'm pretty happy without.

proud of you
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    Have some happy statistics to share. In the 7 weeks since 2018 started I have been averaging 3 standard drinks per WEEK. Limiting myself to no more than 2 drinks per day and no more than 3 drinking days a week, has been working out so well.

I am hoping that maybe a few of my social friends I like to hang out with will also take this path. They keep saying " you are so strong, what disapline you have." But they really have no idea the thought process it takes every day and pretty much every minute to keep up this path.

Good for you! Impressive
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    MrsLMKing wrote: »
    One more thing before I grade papers... today, I saw my sister for the first time in a month. She asked how my alcohol free journey was going, and I told her it's going well. But I am worried about St. Pat's Day festivities. She quit drinking about ten years ago.

She said don't look at it in terms of "I will never drink again"; she said just tell yourself that for 99% of the time , I wont drink. She said don't keep track or count days; just make it a lifestyle. And if once in a big while, you want a drink, have one. Her comments did take the pressure off of me.

I really prefer not to drink; I've gotten used to it now. Nearing 50 days now, but I also struggle with the idea that "I am never going to drink again." She made me breathe a sigh of relief. And then she and I toasted with our Perrier in wine glasses:)

That's a cool way to think about it. I can totally see how the "never again" would create a bad mental block, whereas, "That's not something I'm doing right now" would be a lot easier. Congrats on 50 days in...that's amazing. It's also awesome that you have your sister's support, too.

My husband quit drinking 3.5 years ago. We got into a really bad car accident while he was driving drunk. After that, he quit. In that time, he drank less than half of a beer with his brother once for a "celebration" (then gave me the rest), then another time, he had one small sip of a really fancy, over-the-top mixed drink that I ordered at a restaurant because he wanted to see what it tasted like. Both times, he seemed kind of disgusted by the taste and the fact that he'd caved...like, "Ugh, I actually gave up on the no drinking thing for THIS? So not worth it." But I know my husband...little things like that are what keep him strong, I think, because it's not "I am never allowed to have a drink again, ever!" but more "I can have a little here and there, but I just really don't even want to."

Thanks for your thoughts. I learn from all of you who comment;)
    I imagine your husband lost the taste for alcohol since it's acquired. One of the videos I watched said, alcohol reallly does taste awful, but we get used to the taste by drinking it a lot.
    I also commend him for quitting after that extremely traumatic experience of the car accident.
    Xoxo