Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @erikNJ I'm going to two hour mediation workshop at my yoga studio. Makes me think of your yoga goal.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    I'm joining in because I've realized recently that at a certain time - early evening, when fixing dinner - I start feeling bored and restless. I have my sons and one 3 yr old grandson living with me so there is additional stress from the one and his child moving in. I've decided I want to abstain most days. So here I am. One of the things I'm going to do to combat the bored/housefrau feeling is to use my bluetooth and listen to podcasts as I cook. I think it will help divert me. I came on here a couple weeks ago and saw 'Drinking: A Love Story' recommended. Have been reading it and it's very enlightening re the relationship we form with alcohol.

Hugs to you! Stress is difficult to live with; I feel like we learn a lot from children. How they live in the moment and don't rely on substances to feel good and happy.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    jkm0791 wrote: »
    Just joined my fitness pal and saw this - Gained 10 pounds and flab just by drinking my calories and not exercising after fracturing my foot three years ago. Used that as an excuse. I'm 'back in it' and this discussion will help tremendously. Three weeks of zero drinks. Goal is 9 more weeks at least. Thank you for all of the discussion and info!

I had surgery last January for a torn rotator cuff. I injured my shoulder in September of 2016. Anyway, inactivity after the injury and more inactivity following the surgery, resulted in a gain of 36 pounds. Of course most of that weight gain was caused by alcohol calories . I've lost 28 lbs since July, 2017 with about 8-9 more to go.

Great determination and weight loss!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    jkm0791 wrote: »
    Just joined my fitness pal and saw this - Gained 10 pounds and flab just by drinking my calories and not exercising after fracturing my foot three years ago. Used that as an excuse. I'm 'back in it' and this discussion will help tremendously. Three weeks of zero drinks. Goal is 9 more weeks at least. Thank you for all of the discussion and info!
    @jkm0791 - Welcome and congrats on your success! Those liquid calories are really easy to overdo. We've all been there. For me, getting control of eating and drinking are like flip sides of the same coin. I'm not finding it too awfully difficult to moderate the drinking, and I'm thinking it may be because I've been moderating the calories for quite awhile now and have a lot of practice!

Had my one glass of wine last night because I'm giving myself Fri-Sun to drink. It was, again, meh. Went back to tea while we watched TV and was fine. Still seeking sweets a bunch and it's a struggle limiting them. It was so great to hear about others having the same problem. I would've never known that if it hadn't been for this group. It's so good to have support on this journey.

I wonder why the wine taste buds have changed. That's so interesting to me to read. Loving our tea! I went to a craft fair and bought a few different homemade teas.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    I just have to say I LOVE reading this thread. I feel like I get so much information and inspiration from all of you. From the die hards who are totally AF to the ones like me who are teetering between AF and moderation or figuring out WTH really works. Please keep sharing your experiences so we all can relate and feel honest to express our feelings with no judgment. Happy beautiful Sunday!

:D sorry i hope im not being rude but this makes me laugh...
    Xo

Ok, I give up - why did this make you laugh?
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad day, but you have a good attitude for tomorrow. It's hard to battle both food and alcohol - either one by itself is hard enough! Good thing I quit smoking 27 years ago!

I went to bed early last night (nothing to drink) and had so much to do around the house today, I managed to avoid it. I don't have anything in the house and the temp is dropping, so too cold to go to the store.

The posts about feeling better, no headache, etc, are really helping me. I felt really good today, and got a lot accomplished. It's always better without, so I'll try to do it again tomorrow.

Amazing accomplishment quitting smoking years ago. Do you feel it was the same type of struggle; did you have cravings too? What helped you then?
    Sounds like you have a lot of strength! Xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Last night was pretty easy to keep it under control because I had a race this morning. It wasn't a big or important race, but I always get a bit of nervous energy the night before a race, so I did have my usual pre-race eve glass of wine. Just one, and I measured it. Typically I would come home from a race and pour a drink to celebrate. I did not do that today. I agreed to meet a group of runners in the morning for a long run instead.

About 8 of my friends and I run a St. Patrick's Day race every year just 5K. But the best part in the past was then we hang out for a few hours at some great bars and drink and eat. This year, I'll still run the race but it will be a little anticlimactic afterwards. Not that I NEED to drink to celebrate, but I'm finding the first time you do something AF after you've done it for years with drinking is the tough part. Finding a new normal is a challenge but doable.

I am going to a ShakesBEER play soon. It's a beer tasting event plus the actors are also drinking. I decided to go, because I was invited. Like one of you on the thread commented that I should not turn down invites, because I am not drinking. You are right. I should still embrace going out.

I know it will be a great way to exercise my " I wont drink muscle". My husband has offered to not drink in solidarity while we're there. HE says that now, I wonder if he'll really do that. I secretly want him to not drink that night, so he can how different it is to be out on the town sober. But if he does drink, I won't hold it against him. This is my own journey really. I'm in it alone at home, BUT definitely feel part of a greater community of friends on this thread. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    PSA - avoid watching curling if you can, it will make you wanna get a drink

The Olympic reference made me think of Michael Phelps who had/has alcohol addiction. That's amazing to me that such a health nut can still perform so well even though battling addiction. Maybe his addiction increased after the Olympics to fill a void. Just thinking out loud.
  • dressagerider1020
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad day, but you have a good attitude for tomorrow. It's hard to battle both food and alcohol - either one by itself is hard enough! Good thing I quit smoking 27 years ago!

I went to bed early last night (nothing to drink) and had so much to do around the house today, I managed to avoid it. I don't have anything in the house and the temp is dropping, so too cold to go to the store.

The posts about feeling better, no headache, etc, are really helping me. I felt really good today, and got a lot accomplished. It's always better without, so I'll try to do it again tomorrow.

Amazing accomplishment quitting smoking years ago. Do you feel it was the same type of struggle; did you have cravings too? What helped you then?
    Sounds like you have a lot of strength! Xoxo

Thanks! It was very hard for me to quit smoking, I loved it! I tried several times before I was able to do it for good. I used the nicotine gum, which you needed a doctor's prescription for at the time. It gave me something to reach for instead of a cigarette, and after a few months I hated the taste and didn't want to smoke.
  • dressagerider1020
    Options
    Morning all! I went to a fundraiser event last night - as part of the event we had two drink tickets. The wine was sponsored by a local winery and is amazing. I had a glass and it was great, I went to use my second ticket and got sidetracked by several people I stopped and chatted with. After 30 minutes of talking I realized I had no desire for that second glass. What?! I had fun and feel great this morning. Grateful for changes and moderation and looking forward to a dry week ahead.

Good that you got distracted and passed on the 2nd glass! I think boredom is sometimes a driving force behind cravings.
  • fabKara
    fabKara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @jkm0791 @fabKara welcome to our thread. Can't wait to hear how your journey and goals progress. XXo

Thanks for the welcome! I've been craving some form of accountability, beyond just me, this thread is timely for me. Excited!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Morning all! I went to a fundraiser event last night - as part of the event we had two drink tickets. The wine was sponsored by a local winery and is amazing. I had a glass and it was great, I went to use my second ticket and got sidetracked by several people I stopped and chatted with. After 30 minutes of talking I realized I had no desire for that second glass. What?! I had fun and feel great this morning. Grateful for changes and moderation and looking forward to a dry week ahead.

Good that you got distracted and passed on the 2nd glass! I think boredom is sometimes a driving force behind cravings.

Thanks - yes you’re totally right. I got home and was so glad I was pretty much sober after just the one drink. Had fun and never missed that second glass.
  • dressagerider1020
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Last night was pretty easy to keep it under control because I had a race this morning. It wasn't a big or important race, but I always get a bit of nervous energy the night before a race, so I did have my usual pre-race eve glass of wine. Just one, and I measured it. Typically I would come home from a race and pour a drink to celebrate. I did not do that today. I agreed to meet a group of runners in the morning for a long run instead.

About 8 of my friends and I run a St. Patrick's Day race every year just 5K. But the best part in the past was then we hang out for a few hours at some great bars and drink and eat. This year, I'll still run the race but it will be a little anticlimactic afterwards. Not that I NEED to drink to celebrate, but I'm finding the first time you do something AF after you've done it for years with drinking is the tough part. Finding a new normal is a challenge but doable.

I am going to a ShakesBEER play soon. It's a beer tasting event plus the actors are also drinking. I decided to go, because I was invited. Like one of you on the thread commented that I should not turn down invites, because I am not drinking. You are right. I should still embrace going out.

I know it will be a great way to exercise my " I wont drink muscle". My husband has offered to not drink in solidarity while we're there. HE says that now, I wonder if he'll really do that. I secretly want him to not drink that night, so he can how different it is to be out on the town sober. But if he does drink, I won't hold it against him. This is my own journey really. I'm in it alone at home, BUT definitely feel part of a greater community of friends on this thread. Xo

Glad you decided to go. I'm sure they'll have other things to drink, or you could take a flavored water with you.

Do you know which play they're doing? That sounds like a fun thing. And if the actors are there to talk to, good time to talk about it, or find out how they got involved in acting.
  • RubyRed427
    Options

Glad you decided to go. I'm sure they'll have other things to drink, or you could take a flavored water with you.

Do you know which play they're doing? That sounds like a fun thing. And if the actors are there to talk to, good time to talk about it, or find out how they got involved in acting.

We just found the event is sold out! I waited to long to accept invitation. I feel bad for the people who invited us. But we will go out to dinner anyway. It would have been several different acts from Shakespeare's plays.