Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Replies

• MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2018

Thanks for your thoughts. I learn from all of you who comment;)
    I imagine your husband lost the taste for alcohol since it's acquired. One of the videos I watched said, alcohol reallly does taste awful, but we get used to the taste by drinking it a lot.
    I also commend him for quitting after that extremely traumatic experience of the car accident.
    Xoxo

You're probably right. He never really liked the "taste of alcohol" that much anyway...he preferred stuff like Jagermeister or Fireball when he did drink vs. like vodka or gin. He wasn't really a "lifelong" drinker like me, anyway, but when he did drink, he drank a lot.

We could have -- and probably should have -- died in our car accident -- we crossed the median of a major interstate, went through the cables, crossed the entire other side of the interstate, flipped, and landed in the woods, all at 100+ mph. I didn't have my seatbelt on, and my head hit the windshield so hard that it left a head-sized shatter, then I ended up in the backseat somehow with my bra completely split in the middle. My husband said when he got out, he was screaming and crying because I was completely non-responsive, and he thought I was dead. We actually had a DD that night, but my husband was so obnoxious and mean that our DD pulled over and got out, and my husband got behind the wheel. After that, he realized that drinking wasn't for him. I'm so proud of him. It's like he didn't think twice. After he realized this horrible thing, he stopped.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited February 2018
    MrsLMKing wrote: »

I imagine your husband lost the taste for alcohol since it's acquired. One of the videos I watched said, alcohol reallly does taste awful, but we get used to the taste by drinking it a lot.
    I also commend him for quitting after that extremely traumatic experience of the car accident.
    Xoxo

You're probably right. He never really liked the "taste of alcohol" that much anyway...he preferred stuff like Jagermeister or Fireball when he did drink vs. like vodka or gin. He wasn't really a "lifelong" drinker like me, anyway, but when he did drink, he drank a lot.

We could have -- and probably should have -- died in our car accident -- we crossed the median of a major interstate, went through the cables, crossed the entire other side of the interstate, flipped, and landed in the woods, all at 100+ mph. I didn't have my seatbelt on, and my head hit the windshield so hard that it left a head-sized shatter, then I ended up in the backseat somehow with my bra completely split in the middle. My husband said when he got out, he was screaming and crying because I was completely non-responsive, and he thought I was dead. We actually had a DD that night, but my husband was so obnoxious and mean that our DD pulled over and got out, and my husband got behind the wheel. After that, he realized that drinking wasn't for him. I'm so proud of him. It's like he didn't think twice. After he realized this horrible thing, he stopped.

I think I said that wrong... the video I saw says , we probably didn't like the taste of alcohol when we first tasted it. The speaker said think back to when you were young and you first sipped vodka or scotch, and you thought it tasted awful. Then, eventually, you grew to like the taste.

OH my, this is a riveting story. Thank heavens, you all survived. I'm sure he felt even more awful at your injuries because of his impaired driving. What a wake up call for all including me. Xo
  • MrsLMKing
    28 days was great!! If you had more than you intended tonight, then I wish you better luck tomorrow. <3
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    I know we are halfway through february but I want to cut out alcohol for a while! It’s definitely holding up my progress. I would like to cut it out for a month and see if it makes a difference!

Hello, welcome to a better mind set. :) with lots of support.
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing wrote: »

Xoxo

I think I said that wrong... the video I saw says , we probably didn't like the taste of alcohol when we first tasted it. The speaker said think back to when you were young and you first sipped vodka or scotch, and you thought it tasted awful. Then, eventually, you grew to like the taste.

OH my, this is a riveting story. Thank heavens, you all survived. I'm sure he felt even more awful at your injuries because of his impaired driving. What a wake up call for all including me. Xo

No...you said it right. My point was that he liked drinks like Jagermeister and Fireball because even though they -- of course -- taste like alcohol, they're two of the liquors that I know of that are "easier to drink" if you aren't a "drinker." My husband, even in his drinking days, couldn't, say, take a shot of tequila. He always preferred alcohol that was easier to drink, that might've tasted "nasty" but didn't taste like straight alcohol. He was never someone who liked wine or beer or most liquor or mixed drinks...he liked Fireball because he could throw it back but pretend it tasted like Big Red gum, for example.

Thanks....our accident was very scary! It drove my husband to his senses, that's for sure.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    OK, so, today was day was day 28 (since Jan. 22, after blowing it starting Jan. 1). Seriously? Can't make it to 30? I drove from my awesome AF weekend with granddaughter to home to a funeral for a precious 40-year-old friend who died in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Still don't know how/why but suspect substances. His husband and daughter are friends and everyone in our small town devastated. Beautiful service. Final speaker quoted a line from Elizabeth Taylor: "Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." She said that's what he would want us to do. So, (so freaking obedient!) I came home and had a martini. Then 2 glasses of wine. Then a vodka and grapefruit juice. In his honor, of course. I'm not very coherent right now. But I appreciate this group and hope for another chance tomorrow. xoxo.

Yep, while we wake each morning theres still hope and another chance to change things
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    All of the experiences that are shared on here, good and bad, are so inspiring to me. I come here first thing in the morning now. Please continue to share. It really helps me and obviously, others as well.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    @JulieAL1969 Thinking in terms of 'I can have one when I want but I don't want right now' is more about freedom than limitation=never being able to have one. It's going for something rather than against it. Thanks for sharing what your sister said.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Getting back into my normal routine after last weeks work trip. No drinks Thurs-Sat. Didn’t even think about it. Just enjoyed my tea and getting some sleep! Yesterday we went to an event and they were selling beer - my husband asked if I wanted one, I waffled and then decided to get one, it didn’t taste great so I only drank about half. Back to tea last night. I actually think I am prouder of the days where I get a drink and only have one, or less than one, than the days I go AF. It is always just so easy to keep going once I start - so consciously deciding I’ve had enough feels really good.

Also told my husband last night that I had cut down quite a bit, he asked what prompted that and I told him a lot of factors - some family health scares, a bit of self awareness of how many nights I had a couple too many, my family history of alcoholism, etc. He said he didn’t think I had a problem but he thinks it’s great that I’m cutting down if I’m doing it for health.

This week I have a work happy hour/team building and then my book club monthly gathering - both will involve some drinks but shouldn’t be anything crazy.

In the February home stretch!
    Sounds like a good husband!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Nice stories being posted here - well done all!

Having only just started logging my food and drink here, i’m amazed at how just a few beers in the evening whack up the day’s calories intake! Being more mindful about what and when I drink is the game for me...

Stunning, ain't it?