Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use 5x3x1 BBB for 3 months now. The results are fast!!! PR after PR
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    http://www.stack.com/a/barbell-only-workout

All I've been doing the last two months with my 85 pounds beginner's barbell and bench set I bought very cheap on a whim during a clearance sale at Kmart.

I'm pretty satisfied with the functional strength I've gained and maintained.
  • sheliftsweights
    sheliftsweights Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey everybody, I just got a set of adjustable dumbells as an early birthday present and am looking to start a real, genuine, honest-to-goodness program. My primary goal is to preserve muscle mass over the next year while in a modest deficit, and ideally to get hooked on lifting so I can be one of the badass old ladies who don't need help carrying their groceries one day. I'm going to be in the position to get a fancier home set-up in June and could progress to the barbell at that point if I wanted, but in the meantime, I've got dumbbells from 2.5 to 12.5 lbs a hand and a modest upgrade budget (but limited space).

I've primarily been looking at the beginner program from aworkoutroutine.com or the M& S dumbbell only program. I've also been reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but that program seems a little overwhelming and also wants various things that I don't have or have a ton of room for (short and tall steps, swiss ball). I like the simplicity of the aworkoutroutine.com program, but am concerned that I don't have a setup to allow a pull-up bar right now. Could anyone suggest an alternative, or would this limitation be disqualifying (it IS 1/6th of the workout, after all)? It looks like I could do everything in the M & S workout except the pull-up, although I would want to sub something out for sit-ups, because screw sit-ups.

Any feedback is welcome, even if it's to tell me to suck it up and do the NRoL program. Thanks - I'm excited to get started!

ETA: It looks like NRoL suggests pullovers as an alternative to lat pull downs, which AWR suggests as an alternative to pull-ups. Maybe that will work? I can't do anything remotely resembling a pull-up anyhow.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I use 5x3x1 BBB for 3 months now. The results are fast!!! PR after PR

I ran 5/3/1 for about a year before switching to Juggernaut. It was definitely a pretty solid run, though I never felt like it really challenged me well, until I started adding the Joker sets from Beyond 5/3/1.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey everybody, I just got a set of adjustable dumbells as an early birthday present and am looking to start a real, genuine, honest-to-goodness program. My primary goal is to preserve muscle mass over the next year while in a modest deficit, and ideally to get hooked on lifting so I can be one of the badass old ladies who don't need help carrying their groceries one day. I'm going to be in the position to get a fancier home set-up in June and could progress to the barbell at that point if I wanted, but in the meantime, I've got dumbbells from 2.5 to 12.5 lbs a hand and a modest upgrade budget (but limited space).

I've primarily been looking at the beginner program from aworkoutroutine.com or the M& S dumbbell only program. I've also been reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but that program seems a little overwhelming and also wants various things that I don't have or have a ton of room for (short and tall steps, swiss ball). I like the simplicity of the aworkoutroutine.com program, but am concerned that I don't have a setup to allow a pull-up bar right now. Could anyone suggest an alternative, or would this limitation be disqualifying (it IS 1/6th of the workout, after all)? It looks like I could do everything in the M & S workout except the pull-up, although I would want to sub something out for sit-ups, because screw sit-ups.

Any feedback is welcome, even if it's to tell me to suck it up and do the NRoL program. Thanks - I'm excited to get started!

ETA: It looks like NRoL suggests pullovers as an alternative to lat pull downs, which AWR suggests as an alternative to pull-ups. Maybe that will work? I can't do anything remotely resembling a pull-up anyhow.

The AWR is going to be your most basic program and is a good place to start. M&S is also a good alternative if you want additional volume. The advantage to things like StrongCurves or NROL is that they are good books that detail everything and allow you yo adjust where needed. You could start with the online programs until you get through the books and write out what you want to do.

If you dont have the equipment for a pull up you can easily substitute another move such as a renegade row.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

The AWR is going to be your most basic program and is a good place to start. M&S is also a good alternative if you want additional volume. The advantage to things like StrongCurves or NROL is that they are good books that detail everything and allow you yo adjust where needed. You could start with the online programs until you get through the books and write out what you want to do.

If you dont have the equipment for a pull up you can easily substitute another move such as a renegade row.

Thanks @psuLemon! I'm a sucker for starting simple, so AWR looks pretty good to me - I was just antsy about fiddling with it, but I should probably not be quite so delicate. I finished NRoL this morning and it was definitely a good read, even if the program doesn't look up my alley right now.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are dumbbells less effective than the barbell when doing a progressive weightlifting program?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Are dumbbells less effective than the barbell when doing a progressive weightlifting program?

It's usually more about effectiveness and ability.

Hard to get dumbbells that increase less than 5lbs. Per side. So 10 lb total jump in weight.

That may be too much, so you are doing some workout at below what is possible with a 5lb increase for some amount of time before you can make that 10 lb jump.

Or if doing a method of increasing reps until you increase weight, then lower reps back down - your rep range to allow that 10lb jump could be rather big. But at least then you are progressively making it more difficult.

Some lifts don't translate to dumbbell well either - squats & deadlifts for example.

And since dumbbells rely so much on other supporting muscles for balance - you may not be truly working the main focus muscle to it's max ability because the supporting ones are holding you back.
    So there could be a good span of time until they catch up - in some cases they never will to allow main muscle to be overloaded.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Hard to get dumbbells that increase less than 5lbs. Per side. So 10 lb total jump in weight.

That may be too much, so you are doing some workout at below what is possible with a 5lb increase for some amount of time before you can make that 10 lb jump.

Or if doing a method of increasing reps until you increase weight, then lower reps back down - your rep range to allow that 10lb jump could be rather big. But at least then you are progressively making it more difficult.

Some lifts don't translate to dumbbell well either - squats & deadlifts for example.

And since dumbbells rely so much on other supporting muscles for balance - you may not be truly working the main focus muscle to it's max ability because the supporting ones are holding you back.
    So there could be a good span of time until they catch up - in some cases they never will to allow main muscle to be overloaded.

Because I can't go to the gym and I don't have much space in my home for a lot of equipment I opted for the M&S dumbbell program I would just add more reps every week like you mentioned. However, I've been reading that dumbbells are less effective particularly with squats like you mentioned, and I just want to do what's most effective so I guess I'm going to have to get a barbell. I do have another question I don't have a bench to do bench presses I've been doing all my presses lying flat on the floor is this also less effective?
  • heybales
    Options

Because I can't go to the gym and I don't have much space in my home for a lot of equipment I opted for the M&S dumbbell program I would just add more reps every week like you mentioned. However, I've been reading that dumbbells are less effective particularly with squats like you mentioned, and I just want to do what's most effective so I guess I'm going to have to get a barbell. I do have another question I don't have a bench to do bench presses I've been doing all my presses lying flat on the floor is this also less effective?

Slightly. But safer too.

Couple cinder blocks and 16" wide board, you've just improved things and still safe. Well, depending on how hard to get up and down off floor basically.

You can attempt to keep squat form with dumbbells, like up on shoulder can work.
    To the front for deadlift like form would normally dictate.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Slightly. But safer too.

Couple cinder blocks and 16" wide board, you've just improved things and still safe. Well, depending on how hard to get up and down off floor basically.

You can attempt to keep squat form with dumbbells, like up on shoulder can work.
    To the front for deadlift like form would normally dictate.

To add, there are plenty of variations such as pistol or goblet squats which are good. But we have to work within the means of the equipment even if that is at the expense ot effectiveness.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Any issue with changing the order of SL lifts? Basically, I'm finding I can get to the squat rack ahead of others but would like to do the squat then the row before moving to the bench. Just concerned if I go to the bench I'll then have to find somewhere funky to row but if I do the row right after the squat I can use the rack space.

I'm at the Y and there are limited racks. I want to keep with the Y for swimming. I just have noticed lately the one rack is free a couple times a week that fits my schedule so I just started this week. Only doing two a week as I'm more focused on training for a 1/2 marathon right now.

Thanks
  • heybales
    Options
    Any issue with changing the order of SL lifts? Basically, I'm finding I can get to the squat rack ahead of others but would like to do the squat then the row before moving to the bench. Just concerned if I go to the bench I'll then have to find somewhere funky to row but if I do the row right after the squat I can use the rack space.

I'm at the Y and there are limited racks. I want to keep with the Y for swimming. I just have noticed lately the one rack is free a couple times a week that fits my schedule so I just started this week. Only doing two a week as I'm more focused on training for a 1/2 marathon right now.

Thanks

I've always found it useful to move a lift earlier if I wanted more focus on it, because later would be some aspect of tiredness, not truly overload, as factor in difficulty doing it.

So it'll be interesting if you are already at the upper limits slowly progressing, if you see a big change with the swap - easier row, harder bench, at same weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Thanks

I've always found it useful to move a lift earlier if I wanted more focus on it, because later would be some aspect of tiredness, not truly overload, as factor in difficulty doing it.

So it'll be interesting if you are already at the upper limits slowly progressing, if you see a big change with the swap - easier row, harder bench, at same weight.

I've done 1 day of SL, so yeah, not at the upper limits. I'm thinking someone has switched gyms as I've just noticed the rack has been empty so decided to switch to it.
  • heybales
    Options
    So you mean before someone new comes in - you can put an official looking sticker with your name claiming it, as of course the old-timer of the gym (they don't know how long you've been there).
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Quick question for the group. My wife is looking to add lifting to her routine. She is pretty new to the lifting realm and as limited time. Right now she is looking for something along the lines of a upper/lower split or an A/B split since she only has day days a week she can lift right now. This would be in a home gym so basic equipment and compound movements are fine since I can help instruct on form.

Any program recommendations that she could follow?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Quick question for the group. My wife is looking to add lifting to her routine. She is pretty new to the lifting realm and as limited time. Right now she is looking for something along the lines of a upper/lower split or an A/B split since she only has day days a week she can lift right now. This would be in a home gym so basic equipment and compound movements are fine since I can help instruct on form.

I did Stronglifts 5X5 for about 14 months when I started. It was awesome.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

StrongCurves, TLS and NROL4W are solid choices for programs.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    While I have no idea on TLS and NROL4W (because they are book links and I can't see the setup) most the others are for 3 day a week workouts. Since my wife can only lift twice a week is it fine to just extend out the program for now or would there be a different recommendation?