Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jselmi wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I haven't had a chance to catch up on posts, but I hope everyone is doing ok with their challenges. It is challenging.

I'm going on 2 weeks AF. The 1st weekend was the grateful dead cover band concert, plus it was the 3 day weekend. This past weekend was a long planned celebration at the Irish Cultural center in San Francisco. What could go wrong here !!!? LOL There was 14 of us from our neighborhood that piled into 2 cars headed for the City. One thing I can say. Everybody loves the DD (Designated Driver) It was tough with all the Irish partying away, but I persevered. I had a great time and I was the early ride home. I took the sober-ish folks who had 2-3 drinks, home and we got home at 1 AM. The other car had the the younger crowd. I heard they staggered in at 3 AM. Weekends are the hardest!

All in all, I'm doing really good not drinking. I'm going to ride this AF wave for awhile and see where it leads me.

Congrats!!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    erikNJ wrote: »
    kittybenn wrote: »
    3) Exercised that willpower muscle, stopped fooling myself into thinking that since everyone drinks, it must not be harmful.
    What are your takeaways?

@JulieAL1969 and everybody - I think your #3 was the most important in Feb. for me. I started drinking wine again, but am thrilled and amazed that I'm able to moderate. It's only been a few weeks, to be sure, but this past weekend was good. I stuck to the number of glasses I'd planned. But the more I exercise that willpower muscle the better it gets.

The other takeaway was drinking isn't all I thought it was. Every Sunday night now, I'm kinda like eh. That weekend of wine was nice. It was ok, but it wasn't that fabulous. I am with @springsweet in that I really don't want to stress over "rules." It's just a matter of how to balance all that.

Just like everything, I guess it’s different for everybody. If I didn’t set “rules” for myself I would never have made it two months with my health and wellness goals. I know I would have quit a few weeks back. I’m the kind of person who likes structure in my life, of course that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Another thing is that sometimes rules get broken. I know I broke some of my “rules” or drinking/diet standards I set for myself in February. But I was able to get right back on track the next day. And I’m hoping this continues on and on.

I bet you're wife loves and respects you more for it.

She is a huge motivator for me. Honestly she is one to usually give up on health goals before I do. And we both are two months strong! We had a nice long talk about what is keeping us going strong this time. It was nice to be honest about the things that are working and things that can help going forward.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Going to give my end of Feb progress report now cause I will be busy tomorrow.

My goal was to lose 4 lbs in Feb, I lost 4.5
    Since the holidays I am now down 17.7 lbs!

Since Jan 1st I have drank a total of 10 days. My goal was 8 but those Super Bowl celebrations took me over early this month. No regrets about it.
    11 days over the two months I went over calories with my food diet. Most of those coincided with the nights I drank.
    I have worked out 24 days and done yoga 8 times. Almost all of that yoga was the last half of Feb, but i’m on track now.

My bad knee feels better, my back is getting better. Overall I am more energetic. Other than a few bad nights I sleep much better.
    I am very proud to be two months strong but I need this to be a change for life. I have at least 40 more pounds I would like to lose. And I don’t want to do what I did last time I lost 60 pounds, which was gain almost all of it back. Looking forward to the next steps. Thanks for the support from everyone in this group

Strong showing
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I made it! AF tonight- the other five ladies shared three bottles of wine. I wasn't tempted at all. I still had fun and will sleep like a baby. LOL

Yay! Nice - glad you had fun! That’s a big accomplishment!
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Going to give my end of Feb progress report now cause I will be busy tomorrow.

My goal was to lose 4 lbs in Feb, I lost 4.5
    Since the holidays I am now down 17.7 lbs!

Since Jan 1st I have drank a total of 10 days. My goal was 8 but those Super Bowl celebrations took me over early this month. No regrets about it.
    11 days over the two months I went over calories with my food diet. Most of those coincided with the nights I drank.
    I have worked out 24 days and done yoga 8 times. Almost all of that yoga was the last half of Feb, but i’m

Hey, that my lucky number! :D my planking minutes todate :D . Only until tonight then it starts again next mth.

Thanks for sharing your Wins, u r another leader B)o:) * flex*

• Alzzi76
    Options
    I made it! AF tonight- the other five ladies shared three bottles of wine. I wasn't tempted at all. I still had fun and will sleep like a baby. LOL

o:)B)<3 * flex* :*
  • Alzzi76
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    kittybenn wrote: »
    3) Exercised that willpower muscle, stopped fooling myself into thinking that since everyone drinks, it must not be harmful.
    What are your takeaways?

@JulieAL1969 and everybody - I think your #3 was the most important in Feb. for me. I started drinking wine again, but am thrilled and amazed that I'm able to moderate. It's only been a few weeks, to be sure, but this past weekend was good. I stuck to the number of glasses I'd planned. But the more I exercise that willpower muscle the better it gets.

The other takeaway was drinking isn't all I thought it was. Every Sunday night now, I'm kinda like eh. That weekend of wine was nice. It was ok, but it wasn't that fabulous. I am with @springsweet in that I really don't want to stress over "rules." It's just a matter of how to balance all that.

Just like everything, I guess it’s different for everybody. If I didn’t set “rules” for myself I would never have made it two months with my health and wellness goals. I know I would have quit a few weeks back. I’m the kind of person who likes structure in my life, of course that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Another thing is that sometimes rules get broken. I know I broke some of my “rules” or drinking/diet standards I set for myself in February. But I was able to get right back on track the next day. And I’m hoping this continues on and on.

I bet you're wife loves and respects you more for it.

She is a huge motivator for me. Honestly she is one to usually give up on health goals before I do. And we both are two months strong! We had a nice long talk about what is keeping us going strong this time. It was nice to be honest about the things that are working and things that can help going forward.

Thats so cool!!, well done!! o:)o:)
  • Carolep8359
    Carolep8359 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I just found this group and it’s a
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options

When it's so many drinking refraining is true grit.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 you are so inspiring and strong! I don't know if I could sit there and not partake with 3 bottles of wine in front of me. Maybe I am still in the stage where it requires more willpower than I have. I'm hoping the farther alcohol is in my rear view mirror, the weaker the pull becomes.