Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Great job @Hungry_Shopgirl! Feel free to jump in whenever you see fit. It's not going to interrupt the flow. Lol.

In other news, I won the category in the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" area of training the other night. Long story short, I tried to control drop a clean down to the floor and crashed the barbell square into my quad which resulted in this:

xrq9ya44n0nl.png

It looked initially worse than it was. My only concern was if I permanently crushed and deformed the muscle, but it was just severe inflammation. Put Lyle's injury book to use again. Quite handy if you haven't looked into it.
    Great job @Hungry_Shopgirl! Feel free to jump in whenever you see fit. It's not going to interrupt the flow. Lol.

In other news, I won the category in the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" area of training the other night. Long story short, I tried to control drop a clean down to the floor and crashed the barbell square into my quad which resulted in this:

xrq9ya44n0nl.png

It looked initially worse than it was. My only concern was if I permanently crushed and deformed the muscle, but it was just severe inflammation. Put Lyle's injury book to use again. Quite handy if you haven't looked into it.

Oh man! That looks nasty. Never did that but popped myself in the lower jaw on the way up once. Not fun...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

xrq9ya44n0nl.png

Oh, Ouch! It looks like small creatures may be bursting through the skin any time! Sending strong healing vibes your way.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have finished Lyall's book. The proofreading still is awful although got slightly less awful in the last 15 chapters (it's up to thousands of errors and I am bored of counting). I'd say I'd feel sorry for him, but, if you are charging academic textbook levels of prices for a PDF I expect the equivalent decent level of quality. Present what you are charging for. It was close to the protocol I was following and I'd have paid the price of entry for a second opinion so it's fine. It's still not professional and I won't be buying from him again.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I have finished Lyall's book. The proofreading still is awful although got slightly less awful in the last 15 chapters (it's up to thousands of errors and I am bored of counting). I'd say I'd feel sorry for him, but, if you are charging academic textbook levels of prices for a PDF I expect the equivalent decent level of quality. Present what you are charging for. It was close to the protocol I was following and I'd have paid the price of entry for a second opinion so it's fine. It's still not professional and I won't be buying from him again.

Ha I'll have to resist the urge to get my red pen out! Years of marking essays etc at university and that stuff sticks out a mile to me. The couple of typos I missed in my Master's thesis make me cringe every time I see them.
  • Terebynthia
    Options
    I understand it's a couple of years of his life. But if he wants to be judged by academic standards, he needs to make sure it's not eye watering to read. It's a real shame. I'm genuinely disappointed for him, not me. So much work for so little.
  • Terebynthia
    Options
    Glad you have your thigh back! You should definitely post an update with the bruising. :D
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Glad you have your thigh back! You should definitely post an update with the bruising. :D

If it ever becomes a purple mass, I'll update.. so far, it's actually just diminishing in the pinkish hue. I'm either wolverine or this modified psmf week has a benefit in tissue repair due to the high protein intake. I've chugged enough whey, hydrolized collagen, animal protein + super dosing fish oil the past 4 days to trigger a vegan from a good distance :lol:
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Well, *I* thought you were Wolverine all along.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

If it ever becomes a purple mass, I'll update.. so far, it's actually just diminishing in the pinkish hue. I'm either wolverine or this modified psmf week has a benefit in tissue repair due to the high protein intake. I've chugged enough whey, hydrolized collagen, animal protein + super dosing fish oil the past 4 days to trigger a vegan from a good distance :lol:

After reading Lyle's recovery book and having a bad fall last summer, I upped the fish oil a lot and I think its anti-inflammatory properties helped a LOT - much faster healing of the lower leg contusions and abrasions than usual and no secondary infection. I'm a believer!

• anubis609
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

After reading Lyle's recovery book and having a bad fall last summer, I upped the fish oil a lot and I think its anti-inflammatory properties helped a LOT - much faster healing of the lower leg contusions and abrasions than usual and no secondary infection. I'm a believer!

Fish oil is definitely one of those supplements that fall under the "is there anything it can't do?" Vitamin D would also, but if you get enough sunshine, you wouldn't need to supp it. I've been super dosing fish oil just as a normal routine when training in a deficit. Surplus days tend to be sushi days half the time, so I do get enough fatty fish those days to take a break from fish oil.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    So I have fallen off the bandwagon big time in the past few weeks, eating like crap (and not insignificant amounts) and a massive drop in exercise. Neither my brain nor my body are happy (and not entirely sure if it's chicken or egg with the brain, or a combination - kicked off with the amount I've been working and being stressy with that stuff, and then fed with, well, feeding...).

Anyway, nipping it not entirely in the bud, probably looking at six weeks of deficit to get back to where I was. Weekend refeeds will be deployed, but I may give it a couple of weeks just at a straight deficit to get my head back in the game.

Also getting my *kitten* together with yoga and strength training, because my body is definitely feeling the lack of those, as demonstrated by my knee playing up again :\

It sucks, but such is life. At least fat lass is easy [arguably]: eat less and be comfortable with being uncomfortable. But sounds like a good plan.
  • anubis609
    Options
    So I have fallen off the bandwagon big time in the past few weeks, eating like crap (and not insignificant amounts) and a massive drop in exercise. Neither my brain nor my body are happy (and not entirely sure if it's chicken or egg with the brain, or a combination - kicked off with the amount I've been working and being stressy with that stuff, and then fed with, well, feeding...).

Anyway, nipping it not entirely in the bud, probably looking at six weeks of deficit to get back to where I was. Weekend refeeds will be deployed, but I may give it a couple of weeks just at a straight deficit to get my head back in the game.

Also getting my *kitten* together with yoga and strength training, because my body is definitely feeling the lack of those, as demonstrated by my knee playing up again :\

It sucks, but such is life. At least fat lass is easy [arguably]: eat less and be comfortable with being uncomfortable. But sounds like a good plan.

Yeah, not like I don't know what I'm doing! But disappointed with myself. I need to not beat myself up about it too much though, cos that just feeds the messy brain. It's done, I know what to do to reverse it.Planning to low carb it (lower than I normally do at deficit) for a few days to get the buttload of water weight gone, then I'll know what the real damage is in terms of fat gain.

Just did an hour of yoga, and yeah, I've lost a fair bit of arm strength. It will come back fairly quickly though, and at least I didn't let the slacking on yoga and strength training go as long this time as I did first half of last year, or climb a mountain in that untrained state and wreck my knee completely!

I'll be boring you all with daily updates probably, helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

Muscle memory ftw. And yup, you know the deal. Getting back into an aggressive cut after an extended bulk was like visiting a relative you actively avoid at parties. Lol. Use the thread as your daily diary. I mean... you started it. Haha.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Yeah, not like I don't know what I'm doing! But disappointed with myself. I need to not beat myself up about it too much though, cos that just feeds the messy brain. It's done, I know what to do to reverse it.Planning to low carb it (lower than I normally do at deficit) for a few days to get the buttload of water weight gone, then I'll know what the real damage is in terms of fat gain.

Just did an hour of yoga, and yeah, I've lost a fair bit of arm strength. It will come back fairly quickly though, and at least I didn't let the slacking on yoga and strength training go as long this time as I did first half of last year, or climb a mountain in that untrained state and wreck my knee completely!

I'll be boring you all with daily updates probably, helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

Muscle memory ftw. And yup, you know the deal. Getting back into an aggressive cut after an extended bulk was like visiting a relative you actively avoid at parties. Lol. Use the thread as your daily diary. I mean... you started it. Haha.

And at least I'll be on topic for a change, cos refeeds :D Hopefully a diet break will be unnecessary.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    My abs have just started hurting slightly from yesterday's yoga. So that's how much progress I've undone, to the point that a half hour yoga practice with a measly few planks gives me belly DOMS :D Oh well, only one way to fix that!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've finally read nearly all of this thread. But I need people to dumb things down for me.

@Nony_Mouse Why are you now doing "moderately low carb"? I must admit I cringe at the thought of one of my heroes going the low carb cult route, but knowing you, you will have a good reason.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've finally read nearly all of this thread. But I need people to dumb things down for me.

@Nony_Mouse Why are you now doing "moderately low carb"? I must admit I cringe at the thought of one of my heroes going the low carb cult route, but knowing you, you will have a good reason.

I've always eaten lowish carb (around 100-120) at a deficit, not because I think there's any magic in it, just because it's easier for me to create and sustain a deficit that way. Even at maintenance 150g a day would be the norm for me most of the time. I'm all about the protein, and the things I eat tend to be higher fat (I'm looking at you, avocado and halloumi, oh and dark choc pb in my shakes!), so by the time those two things are in there's not a lot of room left for carbs, and they're the thing I care least about. Nothing cultish about it, just basic maths. I just don't shout it from the rooftops that I'm technically low carb (if you subscribe to that meaning lower than 150g), because it's just the way I eat. Dropped that a little lower than normal the past few days simply to shift some of the unholy amount of water weight I was lugging around. Purely psychological, I know it isn't fat weight.

So there you go, I've always been moderately low carb, you just didn't know it ;)

I've been doing the same thing, Nony. The dietitian had me doing a moderate low carb during the pre-race taper, to try to curb that taper weight gain and keep my brain from freaking out. I actually enjoyed it, and found it easier to do when I was focusing on protein more, so it seems to have stuck.