Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I love the links about the benefits of cycling. I am so glad you shared. DH & I used to cycle, & even bought terra trikes when his balance started to be problematic. It was beneficial, but eventually the MS was too much for him to continue. :sad: I regularly ride a stationary bike in the gym and take yoga classes. Both use big muscles & sustained effort. They are very beneficial for me. I think "horse therapy" is beneficial, too, since riding also requires a lot of big muscle effort and balance control. I support any active recreation that is fun and gets us to move more.

I encourage everyone to find something active that is fun for them—dance, yoga, ride bikes or horses, use exercise machines, roller skate, swim--
    Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around . . . Thats what its all about. :bigsmile: :wink:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe

I agree ... and I like this quote from the first article ...

Steve Harridge, co-author and professor of physiology at King's College London, said: "Being sedentary goes against evolution because humans are designed to be physically active.

"You don't need to be a competitive athlete to reap the benefits - or be an endurance cyclist - anything which gets you moving and a little bit out of puff will help."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729
    How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,567 Member
    Machka - thank you for those exercise links! Very informative and great reminders!! Happy Birthday! <3

Katla - thank you for that Scotch Broom info. Yes, in WA State it is definitely in the Class B Invasive Species category. I wasn't aware there were seed weevils that might help destroy it. Hopefully the little buggers will stay on the Scotch Broom and not move into the garden. I really despise the commercial herbicides so it would be great to get something natural to keep it in check. When we had a teensy farm in Issaquah east of Seattle many years ago, the pasture was full of scotch broom. We put goats there who did a fabulous job of cleaning it right up.

Becca - Lasagna noodles dipped in sauce sounds might fine ;-)

Hope to get time to go back and catch up on the pages I skip. I see puppy dog pictures B)<3

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State... 70 and sunshine predicted next Monday!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,980 Member
    :)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Oooh my lasagna was beautiful! I always use a lot of shortening on the pan itself, so the lasagna doesn't fuse in the pan!
    Ooh my fish beeped!
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,037 Member
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.34min, 143mhr, 11.9amph. 1.5mi= 92c
    apple watch- 70c
    jog- 50min, 139ahr, 155mhr, 4.5-7sp, 9.52min mi, 5mi= 494c
    apple watch- 522c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.36min, 15.9amph, 140mhr, 1.4mi= 73c
    apple watch- 53c
    Bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.47min, 11.5amph, 147mhr, 3mi= 161c
    apple watch- 112c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.07min, 9.47min mi, 155mhr .5mi= 79c
    apple watch- 60c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.38min, 17mph winds, 10.24min mi, 166mhr, .4mi= 63c
    apple watch- 52c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 21.42min, 7.2amph, 20mph WINDS, 147mhr,2.5mi= 205c
    apple watch- 142c

total cal 1167
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Joyce - so sorry to hear of your problems.

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    <3:)