March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sigh. It's only ridiculous to take the day off of work to do a practice race trail run two hours from home of you lock your keys in the car while you use the port-a-potty. Will have to wait about 45 minutes for the locksmith, then I can do my run.

Oh no! Once when I was running, I finished my run only to find out that my key had fallen out of my pocket somewhere along the way. I had to retrace my steps (it was on a trail). I did end up finding it, but it was about halfway out, so I pretty much ended up with a double run that day. Now I always carry my key in my hand, even if I have zipper pockets because I am so paranoid about dropping it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @garygse The one nice thing about a "Northern" climate /environment is we don't have to worry about skunks and snakes. Would rather meet a bear than a skunk.

I must not be far enough north. I encountered a skunk on a run last fall. I've also encounter a porcupine, but they're harmless unless you try to pet them.

If you ever have a nasty encounter with a skunk, look up the recipe for the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dish detergent mixture to neutralize the odor. It WORKS. Ask Kody how I know. I now keep those supplies in my hunting gear.

@lporter229 you don't keep a flashlight in your car?

No, I should though, for lots of reasons. And it's funny that you mention that because I was about half way home when I realized that I could have taken one from work and used that. I think it was just not meant to happen last night.

I've used the flashlight on my phone before. Works pretty well in a pinch
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Set my alarm for next week for 4 am. Told the DH I'm going to bed between 9 and 930 and going to attempt working out before work. It's been crazy at work and I think that's the issue when I get home I just want to relax my brain and body.

@RunsOnEspresso I hear you. I have to do my workouts early in the morning. I am DONE by the time I get off work. I don’t have the energy in the evening. If I wait and force myself to go after work, I end up hating every minute of it.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Running toes question:

Blisters at the end of my second toes (on both feet) are now showing up at every run over 10 miles. I now have mecha-calluses on the end of these toes and my toenails are in a constant state of purple/black/non-existence. I have tried to Google the answer but I am getting conflicting information— My shoes are too small or too big; I scrunch my toes or they are hitting the top of the shoe....etc.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it my shoes or my running form? I have been fit-tested at a specialty running store but their suggestions don’t work.

Also, the smart-wool anti-blister socks feel like I am running over hot coals. They are so hot! Do they make socks with no toe seams? Maybe that’s the problem?

I am worried that these blisters over blisters will eventually cause foot issues...
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I suffer from the same sometimes. It's worse with my Saucony Hurricanes than my Gel Kayanos so for me it is a sizing thing. I want to add a third pair into my rotation soon so I'd planned to ask the running store about it, maybe this weekend. I'm thinking I need to go up half a size.

I find it's not quite as bad when I wear a 2-layered sock. And it is way, way worse on my right (dominant) foot, which is slightly longer than the left.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @amymoreorless I am more of a night person. I prefer working out at night. Mornings I'm a zombie before food, coffee and shower lol
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Congrats on your race! Your pictures are so good, you're actually smiling! I usually look like a stroke victim in mine. You even saved up enough for a little bounce at the finish!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    5 miles, fartleks

I've started following the Strava training plan for a sub-2 hr. half marathon. In reality, my target is a 20K race... so not quite a half marathon. Anyway, I'm still de-trained, so I might have to re-do this workout because it sucked.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Running toes question:

Blisters at the end of my second toes (on both feet) are now showing up at every run over 10 miles. I now have mecha-calluses on the end of these toes and my toenails are in a constant state of purple/black/non-existence. I have tried to Google the answer but I am getting conflicting information— My shoes are too small or too big; I scrunch my toes or they are hitting the top of the shoe....etc.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it my shoes or my running form? I have been fit-tested at a specialty running store but their suggestions don’t work.

Also, the smart-wool anti-blister socks feel like I am running over hot coals. They are so hot! Do they make socks with no toe seams? Maybe that’s the problem?

I am worried that these blisters over blisters will eventually cause foot issues...

Your feet expand when you run. So a shoe that is slightly under sized but comfy when you are in the store will be to small when you are running. You might need to go up a 1/2 size.

BUT your socks very well could be the problem. I wear Under Armor Heat Gear running socks in the summer, and Darn Tough wool socks in cold weather. Both work very well BUT as the UA's wear out I start to get blisters. I try to replace them before they get to that point. I would DEFINIITLY consider changing your sock to a running specific one.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Well done!! Great pics!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @girlinahat OMG, the picture in my head with the quaking! haha that's awesome.

@amymoreorless I go up half a size in my running shoes. The store originally had me up a full size and I told them they were too big but they pressured me so I took them thinking they know best. I ran once in them, barely got to the end of the block and had to turn around. My feet were all over and the shoes were sliding off. Some places want me to go up a full size and they are always too loose. So what I'm saying is, you probably need to go up but not as much as they think. I have one black toenail. Been that way a few years. I assume it will always be like that now.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Wow, gorgeous negative split!!! :heart:

Running toes question:

LOL I wish I knew! I have long toes, and third toes longer than my second toes, and they're always black and buggered.

I gave up on ASICS Kayanos after 3 pairs 3 half sizes smaller than my regular shoes. The toe box is just too cramped. (Plus I don't need all the support they have as I wear orthotics.)

I've had better luck with Brooks Ravenna 4 half sizes than my regular shoes, but I've had blisters on my second toes on 30+ km runs (and I always wear anti-blister tech fabric no-seam socks).

I'm planning on going for Nike Zoom Vomeros next, which I'm told have a larger toe box and are great for HM+ distances.