Opinions on the keto diet??

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    personally i am against the keto diet because our bodies main/preferred source of energy is carbohydrates. also the keto diet does not allow alot of fruits/vegetables which are key for good health. I see alot of keto recipes with bacon and other processed meats which cause inflammation in the body and can lead to cancer/other illness.
    personally i am against the keto diet because our bodies main/preferred source of energy is carbohydrates. also the keto diet does not allow alot of fruits/vegetables which are key for good health. I see alot of keto recipes with bacon and other processed meats which cause inflammation in the body and can lead to cancer/other illness.

Are you a doctor? Carbohydrates aren't even an essential macronutrient. Who says processed meats cause inflammation and what is "inflammation"? Everyone thinks they're so inflamed these days.

What would being a doctor have to do with anything. They pretty much know nothing about nutrition. I don't subscribe to that poster's views but asking if they are a doctor doesn't make much sense.

True
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I do not understand why people mark someone's personal experiences as "woo".

Woo is good

You are so evil! That must be why I like you <3
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I do not understand why people mark someone's personal experiences as "woo".

Woo is good

You are so evil! That must be why I like you <3

High five! I love you too!
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it more expensive. If anything my food bills are smaller as I don't now buy the generally more expensive processed foods.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    dmcnur wrote: »
    I haven't found it more expensive. If anything my food bills are smaller as I don't now buy the generally more expensive processed foods.

Rice, beans, pasta are pretty cheap. I found buying meat more expensive. What did you buy?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Isn’t Keto more expensive? Avocados, nuts and seeds, fatty meats, etc etc.?

Depends on the specifics, it doesn't have to be. Mostly depends on how you were eating before and how thrifty you are. I spend way more than I need to eating plant based, and when I ate meat/eggs/dairy I ate way more expensive choices there than I needed to (local farm, expensive fish). So for me keto was more expensive, but I know I could do both a keto and non keto diet more cheaply than I currently eat. Meat, eggs, dairy are pretty cheap in the US if you have access to good sources (backyard chickens, inexpensive local farms, you or friends hunt and fish) or if you just buy conventional and don't get the most desired cuts (get thighs with bones vs. boneless chicken breast). Many fattier cuts are cheaper too.

Cutting down on fruit out of season can save money too, I imagine (although avocados are expensive).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I tried this once several years ago, it was an epic fail for me. I know this way of eating does work for so many others, but with the way I exercise and needing to eat a diet that makes me feel the best, this method does not suit me at all. Even if I could do this during weight loss, its not something I would want to do forever. Giving up bread and oreos? what was I thinking. :smile:
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I eat a lower carb diet (I wouldn't call it "keto"), but I'm not here to discuss the pro's and con's of keto - any way you find to moderate your eating that works for you is the important thing. I'm here to discuss the "lot of work" bit.

No, not really. If you meal plan for any kind of diet then there is work involved, no more for keto than any other. But once you get used to planning what you can have then it's not really "harder" than anything else.

Whatever way you choose just make sure you understand how to do it properly. There are a lot of people doing diets badly because they only half understand them.