Opinions on the keto diet??

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have there been any studies that compare keto with low carb just above keto level? There always seems to be a lot of talk of keto vs. high carb (said in a way that seems to presume high starch/sugar, low fiber), but what about balanced diet?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Have there been any studies that compare keto with low carb just above keto level? There always seems to be a lot of talk of keto vs. high carb (said in a way that seems to presume high starch/sugar, low fiber), but what about balanced diet?

Best I can tell both keto/low carb and high carb WOE's can be a balanced diet. The macro percentages just are different.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html/

@AnvilHead , Thanks!
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do low carb because it works best for me. I still watch calories, but find this way of eating keeps me full longer. For some reason, I do lose more on low carb. But because the choices are limited, I get bored easily. I have to really plan meals and change it up as much as possible. The bottom line is still CICO. You have to do what works best for you.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Keto has been around for close to 80 years but has been embraced as the latest "new" diet fad.

Any diet works if you reduce calories below maintenance.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Keto is the latest fad.

Any diet works if you reduce calories below maintenance.

I agree. Whatever the diet, calories restriction and being lean/active will do wonder to your body.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Matter of opinion, I guess. I've seen plenty of real world evidence to suggest fruit and whole grains are pretty good for you too.

Yeah, it's debatable, but I think the benefits of fruits and whole grains are trumped out by just eating veggies. And if you have a problem with unhealthy carbs, then it just cancels that option out and makes it simple. But if you have a sweet tooth then fruits are a good alternative and are relatively keto-friendly.
    mmapags wrote: »

Honestly, that is just nonsense. Maybe you should think about it.

Welcome to another keto thread
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Matter of opinion, I guess. I've seen plenty of real world evidence to suggest fruit and whole grains are pretty good for you too.

Yep. Beans and lentils too.

I'd even suggest that potatoes and sweet potatoes are pretty healthy. (Gasp!)

You can eat a really unhealthy diet on keto too. And obviously you can eat a pretty healthy diet, just as with almost any way of eating.

Beans, lentils and potatoes are healthy yes and also can be keto-friendly given your carb-restriction.

So you think folks who live in the Blue Zones, who for generations have eaten moderate to high carb diets full of fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, beans, and wine and live active lives into their 100s, would be healthier if they cut out the fruits and grains and ate more fatty meat and cheese?

This^ The longest living and healthiest cultures eat high carb low fat. There are no cultures in chronic ketosis. In fact, evolution protects against it. Ketosis is a metabolic wasteland

While the statement about ketosis is medically false they do eat carbs and lower levels of fats often.

What they do not live on is a SAD WOE high in highly processed sugars and grains.

That is why the sources of our calories are mission critical when it comes to our health.

Ketosis is a byproduct of starvation along with all the negative hormonal effects.
    The SAD WOE is high in saturated fat. Traditional cultures that start eating more like SAD(high saturated fat) they start to get diabetic. Asians are the perfect example. All these cultures have ALWAYS eaten grain, so you can take that BS to the rest home. Stay in your scope