Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'd actually separate OP's issues, which might well be some kind of eating addiction and currently are probably related to her weight loss program (which is really restrictive) and not having gotten to the point of working through how to reintroduce a variety of foods and not fall back into old habits, which hopefully will be a part of it, from those claiming that fast food (or, bizarrely, sugar, which seems off-topic) are akin to heroin (or perhaps worse than given recent developments in the thread).

Yep, because unless I have my threads confused, OP did come back and clarify her situation, and has a far better handle on it than the folks who came in here to white knight while railing against the evils of sugar, Big Fast Food, random unnameable toxins, and the falsehood of opioid addiction proven by science. This thread needs a facepalm or something.

Yes -- I think it's a huge shame, because even though with OP I think a lot of it was the restrictive diet, I do think that there could have been a good conversation about the pull of habit, how to deal with those kinds of urgings and cravings, so on, and various ways to handle the temptation of palatable foods.

OP's comment made me immediately suspect it was not just about fast food, which is why I asked if she felt like she could have a homemade burger, and of course she explained she was on a diet where that was not possible. To then try to make this -- as some have -- about some magical properties of fast food seems really off base.

OP may be dealing with more than most of us (I don't think someone who is 400 lb, as OP was when she started, is dealing with precisely the same things as someone who needs to lose, I dunno, 20, even if the 20 lb overweight person thinks that her love for fries is JUST EXACTLY LIKE addiction), but despite her word choice I doubt it's limited to fast food but that it could be something similar to an addiction (or maybe compulsive overeating is a better term), and her chosen way of dealing with it may be working because it eliminates temptation for a while --
    kind of like that potatoes only guy -- but that eventually she will need to figure out how to deal with tempting food.

The "it's a drug, it's all about the specific foods, just cut it out" people don't seem to be helpful.

Also, the argument that fast food is like opiates (which IMO is absurd) is rather off topic, the question was how to deal with cravings from tempting food, basically.

I find it frustrating that this thread went so off topic as to end up in Debate, and I blame those who have some axe to grind and want to insist that liking food is exactly like being a drug addict. While, yes, some others took issue with OP's use of the term addiction, it was in a context of giving helpful advice and saying how they handled it. I note that when people popped in to say "yes, it is too an addiction," not only did their supposed cites not match the claims, but they were focused on creating an argument and did not give helpful advice to OP. I think that's really a shame.

I respectfully disagree with the comment that cutting out the foods that we have a tendency to vastly overeat is bad advice. For me at least, it seemed to be the easier approach. Having moderate amounts was just too difficult. It's STILL difficult all these years later. Certainly much more comfortable to have close to none. Although admittedly, absolutely none for anything other than a fairly short period of time, is problematic too.

I had a friend who had avoided sweet treats for 3 years straight and became very distraught one day when her ex-husband tried to shove a chocolate into her mouth. She felt strongly that having that one chocolate had the potential to undo all her hard work. She really felt like an addict. I felt for her.

Sometimes I wondered if she should try to consume teeny tiny portions to reduce her fear, similar (in some ways) to the way they try to expose people with peanut allergies to peanuts. Exposure therapy maybe, where the person is exposed to their trigger food in a controlled situation where there is little or no danger that they will overeat.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Nobody here (or anywhere else) is addicted to fast food. Some may find it hyper-palatable and easy to overindulge on, but it has no symptoms of addiction and won’t cause physical withdrawal if you don’t have it.

However the way our brain reacts to certain foods is the same as a drug addict reacts to drugs. This has been scientifically proven and has numerous studies behind it. Just cause something isn't physically addicting or doesn't have physical withdrawals, doesn't mean it isn't addicting. There are drugs that are mental addiction's. Methamphetamine being one of them.

Your brain shows the same reaction to petting puppies.

Does it actually? Looked it up and couldn't find anything. Actually am curious, enjoy reading studies on the brain.

The point of me saying that wasn't saying those reactions are what make an addiction. I edited my post stating it does have a lot to do with will power but to say something isn't addictive just cause it doesn't have physical dependency or physical withdrawals isn't true. By definition of addiction, you could be addicted to anything(even petting puppies). It's also the reason I used meth as an example cause it isn't physically addicting but is one of the most addictive substances out there.
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food almost every day for lunch. Chick fil a is my weakness. I'm working on meal prepping but it's a challenge because I can't seem to cook a good chicken recipe. I'm trying to maintain my weight but cut fat and build muscle. Anyone with advice feel free to let me know.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Nobody here (or anywhere else) is addicted to fast food. Some may find it hyper-palatable and easy to overindulge on, but it has no symptoms of addiction and won’t cause physical withdrawal if you don’t have it.

However the way our brain reacts to certain foods is the same as a drug addict reacts to drugs. This has been scientifically proven and has numerous studies behind it. Just cause something isn't physically addicting or doesn't have physical withdrawals, doesn't mean it isn't addicting. There are drugs that are mental addiction's. Methamphetamine being one of them.

Your brain shows the same reaction to petting puppies.

Does it actually? Looked it up and couldn't find anything. Actually am curious, enjoy reading studies on the brain.

The point of me saying that wasn't saying those reactions are what make an addiction. I edited my post stating it does have a lot to do with will power but to say something isn't addictive just cause it doesn't have physical dependency or physical withdrawals isn't true. By definition of addiction, you could be addicted to anything(even petting puppies). It's also the reason I used meth as an example cause it isn't physically addicting but is one of the most addictive substances out there.

It's been mentioned on these forums in other threads. Here are a few sources:

https://www.smokymountainnews.com/news/item/19278-sponsored-is-sugar-addictive
    https://sanefood.com/sugar-white-powder/
    http://inglesinfoaisle.com/would-you-rob-a-bank-to-buy-a-bag-of-candy/
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    when I was younger, i worked at burger king for a couple years. when I quit, i never eaten anything fast food again. except chick fil a and maybe cook out
  • TheFatBrokenGirl
    TheFatBrokenGirl Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Usually no one wants plain spaghetti, though -- it's the combination of pasta and a sauce that normally has fat and protein in it. (Maybe I'm weird, but the sauce has always been the most important part of pasta for me, easily.)

I must be weird because I really like plain pasta. I don't know why because usually I'm all about flavours, herbs, spices, seasonings etc. But something about plain pasta is ridiculously enjoyable for me. lol

• goldthistime
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'd actually separate OP's issues, which might well be some kind of eating addiction and currently are probably related to her weight loss program (which is really restrictive) and not having gotten to the point of working through how to reintroduce a variety of foods and not fall back into old habits, which hopefully will be a part of it, from those claiming that fast food (or, bizarrely, sugar, which seems off-topic) are akin to heroin (or perhaps worse than given recent developments in the thread).

Yep, because unless I have my threads confused, OP did come back and clarify her situation, and has a far better handle on it than the folks who came in here to white knight while railing against the evils of sugar, Big Fast Food, random unnameable toxins, and the falsehood of opioid addiction proven by science. This thread needs a facepalm or something.

Yes -- I think it's a huge shame, because even though with OP I think a lot of it was the restrictive diet, I do think that there could have been a good conversation about the pull of habit, how to deal with those kinds of urgings and cravings, so on, and various ways to handle the temptation of palatable foods.

OP's comment made me immediately suspect it was not just about fast food, which is why I asked if she felt like she could have a homemade burger, and of course she explained she was on a diet where that was not possible. To then try to make this -- as some have -- about some magical properties of fast food seems really off base.

OP may be dealing with more than most of us (I don't think someone who is 400 lb, as OP was when she started, is dealing with precisely the same things as someone who needs to lose, I dunno, 20, even if the 20 lb overweight person thinks that her love for fries is JUST EXACTLY LIKE addiction), but despite her word choice I doubt it's limited to fast food but that it could be something similar to an addiction (or maybe compulsive overeating is a better term), and her chosen way of dealing with it may be working because it eliminates temptation for a while --
    kind of like that potatoes only guy -- but that eventually she will need to figure out how to deal with tempting food.

The "it's a drug, it's all about the specific foods, just cut it out" people don't seem to be helpful.

Also, the argument that fast food is like opiates (which IMO is absurd) is rather off topic, the question was how to deal with cravings from tempting food, basically.

I find it frustrating that this thread went so off topic as to end up in Debate, and I blame those who have some axe to grind and want to insist that liking food is exactly like being a drug addict. While, yes, some others took issue with OP's use of the term addiction, it was in a context of giving helpful advice and saying how they handled it. I note that when people popped in to say "yes, it is too an addiction," not only did their supposed cites not match the claims, but they were focused on creating an argument and did not give helpful advice to OP. I think that's really a shame.

I respectfully disagree with the comment that cutting out the foods that we have a tendency to vastly overeat is bad advice.

But that's not actually what I said, is it?

I think avoiding trigger foods CAN be decent advice given more information and a context.

What I think is bad advice is assuming the issue is an "addiction" to "fast food" and then recommending that "fast food" be treated as if it were alcohol for an alcoholic.

I especially think that's bad advice when we know OP has some sort of issues with food and has been on a very restrictive diet cutting out not just fast food, but all kinds of delicious (and healthy) foods, such as a homemade burger, or probably even roasted chicken with brussels, potatoes, and a little olive oil and salt.

The potato diet approach works only for a while, but most do better figuring out how to normalize their relationship with foods so they can eat things they enjoy without obsessing about them.

Not saying that it doesn't make sense for some to, say, avoid having sweets at home or cut out fast food for a while while trying to develop better habits and a broader palate or what not. There are many option, but when you jump to "treat fast food as if you were an alcoholic and it were alcohol" then there's no room to discuss the specifics or that different approaches work for different people.
    Having moderate amounts was just too difficult.

I used to have some things that I had no interest in moderating. Indian food was one, some kinds of sweets (pie) is another. What I do is have Indian food about once a month and eat whatever I want, usually on a good workout day. (Last time I got it I found myself naturally moderating more, which was interesting, although I'm fine with having a splurge day too.)

Re pie, I find it easier to just have it on holidays, when I want to bake and have others to share it. If I made it at other times it would be hard not to overeat.

Similarly, I will rarely have a really good restaurant dessert if the restaurant has interesting worth-it (or probably worth-it) desserts. When I do, I don't try to eat only 200 cal worth; I eat as much as I want, even if it's 800 cal (or whatever).

But I do go through periods where I rarely have sweets, since it's also easier for me if I'm in an emotional eating kind of phase not to have it. But I would never say they are something I've cut out, since if I decide to have them I can, without it being a failure or something that means I've ruined everything or whatever.
    I had a friend who had avoided sweet treats for 3 years straight and became very distraught one day when her ex-husband tried to shove a chocolate into her mouth. She felt strongly that having that one chocolate had the potential to undo all her hard work. She really felt like an addict. I felt for her.

Obviously he was a jerk, but I do feel like that's one reason why treating like and calling it an addiction can be very counter-productive. I think it creates the reaction where if you do have a little you can't control it, both because you've told yourself you cannot control it for so long you have created a situation where you maybe can't (self fulfilling prophecy) and because if you think this is your only chance EVER to have it and things are already ruined, of course people binge.

That's one reason why I've really consciously tried to focus on NOT making any foods a forbidden fruit.

I went back to try and find what I thought I was responding to and had trouble. Maybe this: “The "it's a drug, it's all about the specific foods, just cut it out" people don't seem to be helpful.” Apparently I’m sensitive to the idea that abstinence is bad advice because that’s the part that jumped out at me.

I have never had a problem with fast food so I’m on shaky ground discussing it, and you can see that I switched over to talking more about “sugar addiction” than fast food. I wandered away from the OP’s problem specifically because she hasn’t returned to the thread. I agree that in her case it is most likely her overly restrictive diet that is at the root of the problem. I seriously doubt that I could adhere to that kind of diet either. Maybe I’m being too dismissive, she’d need to come back and tell us more. But to be honest I’m not sure that telling her it’s not addictive behaviour that is behind her actions will actually help. She needs more than that (broadening again to how these threads often go, not your advice in particular lemurcat, in fact I noted something you said in one of these threads recently that seemed very helpful. Sorry they all start to blur together after a while.)

As to my friend, and the idea that if you have ANY trigger foods, things are ruined, yes, I agree that it’s a problem. I don’t know what was going on in her mind, but if she thought the way I did, it wasn’t the label of “addiction” per se, but the memory of how strongly the habit of overeating sweet treats had been established, and her mistrust of her own ability to moderate. It was her past performance that was the problem. That’s why I veered off into the idea of exposure therapy. The solution, in my mind, at that moment (hadn’t really thought of it before then but growing to like it more), if we don’t want to practice complete abstinence, we have to carefully engineer some incidences of successful moderation. Trying to moderate without taking great care to set up situations where you think you’re very likely to succeed, IMO, is more likely to lead to more failures, reinforcing the idea that you are powerless. These aren’t your words lemurcat, but the “just moderate” advice has always caused me frustration. I was never a victim of anything, the actions I took and habits I created were my own doing, but they became so strong that except in unusual circumstances having “just a little” seemed impossible. None was much easier.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I came back to say thanks for this:

“I think avoiding trigger foods CAN be decent advice given more information and a context.”

and to apologize for sticking to my agenda more than addressing all your points individually in the way you do so well.

But also to comment on this:

“Re pie, I find it easier to just have it on holidays, when I want to bake and have others to share it. If I made it at other times it would be hard not to overeat.”

Happy Pi Day! Not exactly an official holiday but reason enough for me to eat pie today. Did you?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh, I remembered it was pie day after I wrote that, but no pie today. ;-(