March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I want to share this article since I think it might be of interest to some.

When a Stress Expert Battles Mental Illness

Our columnist literally wrote the book on peak performance, but he had to reconsider everything after an unexpected battle with mental illness

https://www.outsideonline.com/2279856/anxiety-cant-be-trained-away

Good points about dealing with the stigma (glad that doesn't bother me anymore).

I've been seeing a psychologist about my anxiety.

My psychologist explained really well how anxiety is caused by our natural "fight and flight" response to stress or danger.

In our modern lives, we often don't have an outlet for fighting or running from these situations. So our heartrate, breathing, bodily functions, sweating, etc are all affected indefinitely instead of going towards a physical battle which is over quickly.

This helped me understand what happens to me, and I'm learning how to use her breathing routine to cope with an anxious situation before it gets too bad.

Like in the article, she also recommended not avoiding the stressful situation you might be fearing which causes the event. If you keep avoiding it, you will keep being anxious about it even without ever facing it.

I like how the author of the article says to "lean into it".
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Day off, meant earlier pt visit, so I had time for a full mile. That puts me at 6 for the month. And I ALMOST finished the jump circuits, before things went wonky, even with the mile. Progress, I think. Pt conditionally approved mountain climbers on request of powerlifting coach.... ugh...
  • ttelmo
    ttelmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought that article was fascinating! I had no idea low blood sugar and dehydration could trigger a panic attack in someone with a predisposition. The author’s life changed overnight, and it could happen to anyone. I have anxiety, too, that came on very quickly years ago but I never identified a single triggering event.

You’d think I’d have better judgment, but I sometimes have low blood sugar and dehydration after working out. And I make recovery a low priority after taking care of other people. Just tonight I came home from a post-office swim, starving and thirsty but I still made other people dinner before I had a glass of water. I felt pressure from the Feed Me texts I received while in the pool. (I don’t have little children. I actually don’t have children at all. But mouths to feed.)

Anyway I admire the author for taking care of himself or herself.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Sparx_81 You are doing great!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Race morning! It is 16.3F at my house, and it is supposed to warm up to a balmy 17F by race start. Ugh. I know some of you think 22F is great temp... but man I wish it was in the 50's and sunny! Nothing to do now, but bundle up and try not trip! :dizzy:
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    3/1: 2.4k -as warmup for strength training-
    3/2: 8.1k -Easy-
    3/3: 10.5k -Treadmill easy-
    3/4: 5k -Easy with company-
    3/5: 4.1k -as w/u and c/d fom HIIT-
    3/6: 7.23k -Not so easy- and 1.5k -as warmup for strength training-
    3/8: 7.12k -Easy-
    3/9: 12.3k -Tempo?-
    3/11: 13.2k -Easy-
    3/12: 6.5k -Easy-
    3/13: 2.1k -as warmup for strength training-
    3/14: 12.2k -Fartlek-
    3/16: 5k - As w/u and c/d for strength training-
    3/17: 15.1k -LR-

Goal: 112.4k/120k

Getting stronger everyday!!

Stay free of injuries!

Upcoming races:
    4/1: Alexander the Great 10k Thessaloniki
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Sparx_81 You are doing great!

Thanks @PastorVincent still walking about half but still getting the legs moving more! :) 5km, no walking, in 2 weeks actually feels nearly achievable!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Yeesh I'm glad you're okay! So much for the "I don't need to fuel for a half" theory! No harm done, congrats on finishing your first half!