March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso what a bunch of dorks those drivers were. Probably jealous that all of you runners look so good and are much healthier and stronger!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    3/1: 2.5
    3/3: 3
    3/4: 4
    3/6: 3
    3/9: 1.7 of hill repeats
    3/11: 3

17.2/50 miles for March
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So far on track
    32x3soaame6n.png

I did the Parkrun 5K then went and caught up with my wife for a bot more distance. But my time for the 5K was a PB of 28:37. More than a minute better than my last PB of 29:42. In between every Parkrun had snow on the path so I was glad to see a clear path time.

Congrats on the new PB!
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    March goal: 96 miles

3/1: 5 miles
    3/4: 9 miles
    3/6: 4.1 miles
    3/7: 4.6 miles
    3/8: 5 miles
    3/11: 10.5 miles

38.2/96 miles completed

I got up early to do my long run before church. 10.5 miles. A new distance PR for me. I knew the wind would be a factor because I woke up to the sounds of the windchimes outside before my alarm went off. The first 7 miles were pretty good, but battling a 20 mph north wind that last 3.5 miles was brutal. I had to take my cap off and carry it the last 1.5 miles because it kept blowing off. It wasn't really cold, but 54°f with 20 mph north winds seemed really chilly after having 86°f yesterday. Plus it seems like all the uphill are at the end of my runs. I may need to start running my routes backwards.

exercise.png

Woot woot! A new PR, and a hard-fought one to boot. Congrats!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    March 2018 runs:

Goal 1: 180 km
    Goal 2: Do more cartwheels.

01 Mar – 5.6 km strides & intervals
    03 Mar – 5 km parkrun 28:30
    04 Mar – 21.2 km
    07 Mar – 6 km
    08 Mar – 5.5 km
    10 Mar – 5 km parkrun 27:10
    11 Mar – 10.3 km + 7 cartwheels
    12 Mar – 20 km

Total: 78.6 km

10 km yesterday, 20 km today.

Keeping the distance up, in case I decide to do the 50 km run (my goal for this year) sooner rather than later.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    11 Mar – 10.3 km + 7 cartwheels

Ha! Love it! Of course that is at least 8 more than I have successfully have pulled off.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher Yay, you did parkrun, and yay, you did a PB!!! :heart:

@mommarobb Yay for you!! I love hearing about how people fall in love with running and walking!

A friend here, in his 70s, is going through the same thing. My heart sings every time I see him run. Got to run with him on Saturday and Sunday. Good times.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    mommarobb wrote: »
    I am in love with running/jogging/ walking. I am amazed at how much better I feel already and I only started a few weeks ago. Really noticed a difference on the stairs at work. Before I used to barely make it to the top and now I can run up them...Yay me!!!!.
    Anyone else have issues with people being negative about running? I have been getting comments about how bad it is for your knees;joints. I tell them I have never felt better :) Then I invite them to run with me lol.

I think this is the standard thing a non-runner says to a runner. And there have been NUMEROUS studies that show that runners who have no pre-existing knee injuries are better protected against arthritis, have better bone structure, etc. etc.

Part of the issue is that many people take up running later in life as an activity. As youngsters, they may have done sports such as football, hockey, rugby, tennis etc. All activities where the leg is forced to carry out a side-to-side movement, which whilst a perfectly natural movement for the body to perform, leads to a higher rate of injury to the knee from that sport. That injured person may then try running, and exacerbate an existing problem.

The long and the short of it is - runners have better knees than the rest of the population and NO higher rate of injury than taking part in any other sport.