March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

orphia Tacklewasher I'm finally going to be a parkrunner. A parkrun has recently been set up very close to my home. They've been doing test runs for a couple of months now and they're finally going 'live' on March 31st. I've got my barcode and I'm ready to run.

At ours, they have a tray you can leave your barcode in so you don't forget it. My wife laminated ours so they hold up better than a piece of paper.

there are companies that will produce ID bands with the Parkrun barcode on, or credit card sized cards. Certainly here in the UK they do.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Another thumbs up here for that awesome photo...and your awesome advice to @mommarobb. When people try to tell me that running is bad for me, I tell them that may or may not be true, but I know that it does wonders for my soul, so I will take the risk.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    mommarobb wrote: »
    I am in love with running/jogging/ walking. I am amazed at how much better I feel already and I only started a few weeks ago. Really noticed a difference on the stairs at work. Before I used to barely make it to the top and now I can run up them...Yay me!!!!.
    Anyone else have issues with people being negative about running? I have been getting comments about how bad it is for your knees;joints. I tell them I have never felt better :) Then I invite them to run with me lol.

I think this is the standard thing a non-runner says to a runner. And there have been NUMEROUS studies that show that runners who have no pre-existing knee injuries are better protected against arthritis, have better bone structure, etc. etc.

Part of the issue is that many people take up running later in life as an activity. As youngsters, they may have done sports such as football, hockey, rugby, tennis etc. All activities where the leg is forced to carry out a side-to-side movement, which whilst a perfectly natural movement for the body to perform, leads to a higher rate of injury to the knee from that sport. That injured person may then try running, and exacerbate an existing problem.

The long and the short of it is - runners have better knees than the rest of the population and NO higher rate of injury than taking part in any other sport.

I'm an example of the sort of person you mention with pre-existing injuries from other sports - blew out my ACL dancing in my twenties, never got it repaired. They call people like me "copers" because you just learn to cope by not doing things that make your leg go out. I wear a brace when exercising, but the tricky part is that my knee likes to go out when the muscles are relaxed, which means I am likely to put it out when I least expect it, such as rolling over in bed.

Running can be very stressful on my knee - actually I feel it in my itb - if my knee is just a little bit out of alignment - I have a few tricks to get it back in that I use when warming up, but it doesn't always work. If it's really out I put a brace on top of another brace, crank it down, and just run on it anyway. It isn't always comfortable but doesn't seem to make it worse or further injure it, and the benefits to my blood glucose control are huge. I give myself plenty of recovery time when my itb feels sore.

Running on different terrain is good for preventing repetitive motion injuries, so I do my long runs on trails.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @mommarobb - Amazing job! I'm down 118 so far, the 100 club is the best club!

@JessicaMcB - so much win in one post!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mommarobb wrote: »
    I had a new after picture taken tonight and I am so proud of myself. My before picture was taken when I joined MFP but I had already list 28 lbs when it was taken. So even though my ticker says 71lbs lost I have lost in total 99 lbs. Almost in the 100 club!!!! When people tell me that running is bad for me or ask why I would want to run, I am going to show them this pic and say "this is why I run" plus I love running and how it makes me feel. I keep saying that over and over and I think it is because I never used to be able to do it and it makes me feel wonderful.

Well done!! W00T!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today... not sure about tomorrow either. Busy week ahead! :(
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB that is an awesome picture. Personally I think you are doing "women" very well as evidenced by the smile on that little girls face.

Who took the picture?

+1 on how well @JessicaMcB can "woman." Those models with the incredibly skinny calves aren't real women; they can't run any significant distance.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @garygse I know a ways back you were looking at hydration packs? Curious did you buy something and if you did your pick and current review of the product. Thanks.
  • DauntlessDiva
    DauntlessDiva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    @garygse I know a ways back you were looking at hydration packs? Curious did you buy something and if you did your pick and current review of the product. Thanks.

Not that you asked for my two cents... but I love my Orange Mud double quiver. It takes a few runs to get used to it, but damn is it ever more comfortable than a traditional hydration pack! ❤️
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @orphia @Tacklewasher I'm finally going to be a parkrunner. A parkrun has recently been set up very close to my home. They've been doing test runs for a couple of months now and they're finally going 'live' on March 31st. I've got my barcode and I'm ready to run.

@BruinsGal_91 Woo Yay Hooplah!!! That's so cool! :heart: