Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Replies

• getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    I totally get that feeling you talked about.. probably everyone here does so you aren't alone!
    The way I broke out of it was actually learning to be kind to myself. Sounds lame I know.. but one day I realized that that inner voice was really mean and I took note and started cutting it off and being nicer. I stopped expecting perfection or nothing. Start on Monday.. I'll do better etc etc..
    I then allowed myself the personal time to go to the gym and not feel guilty about it and started just tracking honestly my food intake. This helped me want to cut back and also the endorphins from working out really helped so I wasn't just getting that feeling from the food but from exercise. When I had major cravings exercise was a good distraction and by the end of it I didn't want it anymore, not as bad. I started missing working out if I didn't go. That yuck feeling you had when you had the Burger King is a good thing! Just don't hate yourself for it. Acknowledge that now you feel gross so remember that for when you want it again and instead go for a walk. Find an activity you like. I used to not be able to run and didn't think I ever could but now I run 5k no prob :-)
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Fast food is designed to be tasty--lots of fat, carbohydrates, sugar, even flavor additives to maximize taste (my husband did consulting work for a company that made these additives, a different flavor every day, and he would come home smelling like chocolate cake, sugar cookies, the perfect steak, caramel, you name it). If you want to eat it, maybe you should try eating a meal that steadies blood sugar levels a few hours before going for your fast food fix. For example, if we are planning to eat out for dinner, then I chose a lunch of lentils, lots of veggies, 1/4 cup whole grain (farro is my favorite), 1 tbsp. of healthy oil, and sometimes a small portion of salmon or chicken. If I snack later, I eat an apple and a tbsp. of walnuts. When we get to the restaurant, I am not starving and my blood sugar is at an even keel which makes it easier to make good choices. My other restaurant rule is to only eat half of what is on my plate (if the restaurant allows me to order a half portion, so much the better). Developing a strategy for eating out puts you in control of the situation.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Another thought: when we do get fast food, 9 times out of 10, it's a matter of convenience (I don't want to cook), not craving. I expect it to be disappointing. Does that mean I'm not addicted?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    try2again wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So... ummm... I had Taco Bell for lunch yesterday. Still not addicted. Of course OP clarified that neither is she. But some folks are still gonna stake their claim of the "It's not our fault! They made us fat!" argument, whether it's sugar or fast food or processed food or diet food or carbs or dairy or grains or whatever, so... carry on.

P.S. The Nacho Fries are good, but not really worth the hype in my opinion. But they did allow me to tell my friend she couldn't try one because "These are Nacho Fries, get your own!" (Not Your = Nacho, get it?) So, that was fun.

Do you agree most addicts will tell others they not addicts for some unknown reason? :)

Are you suggesting @kimny72 needs an intervention? *raised eyebrow*

This makes me realize what this thread is missing... a good, comprehensive definition of what "fast food addiction" is. I have fast food cravings sometimes (KFC commercials drive me *insane*), but since we live in a rural area and it would be a decent drive to get it, I shrug my shoulders & go "oh well". If I were an addict, would I get in the car and go? If the car was broken down, would I walk?

Great point. At 2am when I realized I was thinking about driving 10 miles in one direct to a drink machine for a Royal Crown cola yet there was no way to get a Moon Pie to go with it I realized I was a carb addict. I guess I thought if something was legal then it should not be addictive.

Shortly after that (Oct 2014) I cut out foods with added sugars and/or any form of grains on a hunch that it might help me dodge the Enbrel that I was to start in 30 days. It worked for the pain management then month by month I was able to start walking death backwards.

So your answer is, if I *thought* about getting in the car, that would make me an addict?

(BTW, I'm not disparaging your WOE at all... I'm very glad that you are healthy & happy :) )
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    Random Thought:
    Who here is addicted to fast food? Yesterday, I kind of cheated on my weight loss program and had Burger King for the first time in a while. Now, at that very moment it felt good to have a hamburger again but than later in the evening, I felt disgusting. I felt bloated, heavy, depressed and felt like I didn't want to work out at all. Honesty, since then, I have felt this desire to get more fast food, and even though I was full after I had a meal at Burger King, I still wanted more....that's how terrible my addiction is. Fast Food is the devil haha sorry don't need to be dramatic but for those that are addicted to food, I'm sure you will understand.

Long story short, since November of 2017, I've lost 52lbs. I have a long way to go but when I started my weight loss journey, I was 400lbs. I became highly addicted to fast food. Even though I love to cook and I love all of the healthy delicious foods, I ate fast food about four days a week at least and that's how I became so obese. I wanted fast food every day and yesterday, I got a glimpse of the old me and it kind of scared me because thinking about how much I've worked on myself since then, and how much I can easily gain the weight I loss because of my terrible food addiction. After I had fast food, my mind has been thinking about it ever since. Does anyone else get these thoughts as well?

To answer your question, I was addicted to fast food.
    I was addicted to fast food because: 1.) it was quick, easy, and almost all restaurants have a drive-thru. (CONVENIENCE)
    2.) Didn't have to go to the store and make my own darn meal (ugh yeah, I was lazy.)
    3.) It just tasted good TO ME.

Addiction isn't the word for what you and I are trying to explain. I think it's more of a convenience.
    I changed this habit of going straight to fast food restaurants and started heading to the grocery store. It's much more cheaper to buy your own ingredients but it's very time-consuming to prep your own meals. I do want to get into the habit of making a weekend my prep day for the upcoming week.

I stopped going to fast food restaurants because it's expensive, and it's not worth the calories.
    Remember, all the sales they make is for labor cost, food cost, taxes and the rest is for profit.
    I was a restaurant manager back then at a local Jack in the Box.
    I could've bought three days worth of food if one whole meal at the fast food joint costed $8.00

Anyway, good luck to you on your weight loss journey. It takes patience and dedication. You'll need the mentality to keep going forward. Don't go back and if you do, don't beat yourself up for it but forgive yourself and move on.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    I love fast food. They make it taste so good. I have limited myself to once a week and I work it into my calories before I even leave the house. Sometimes it does make me feel a little "blah" afterwards, but apparently not bad enough to stop eating it.

People love to preach calories in - calories out as the be all - end all, and while that is absolutely true for weight-loss, at the same time, the foods you eat will make you feel better or worse. Certain foods nourish your body and others just move through you making you feel bloated and gross.

I feel like one of the single most important things you need to do to is to come up with a plan that works for you. One that keeps you at your calorie goal without leaving you feeling like you're being restrictive. For me personally, when I decide to restrict certain things I'm all of a sudden ravenous for that item. I know it's in my head though. So I try to keep the things I like but don't necessarily want to eat day to day, in my rotation and accounted for.

Until you find a sustainable way of eating that works for you, you'll struggle. It won't be easy or quick, but give it time and don't be afraid to change things up. Eat things that are healthy, eat things that you enjoy eating that may not be healthy, track it all and stay in a deficit and you should see results.