Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I am constantly amazed on this site by the amount of calories people "claim" to have burned by exercise. I'm sorry, but most people (especially older women) are not burning 1000 calories from an hour and half of exercise. I went on a 100 mile hike in New Mexico, and I didn't lose a pound, even when hiking 10 plus miles a day with a 45 pack on my back.

90 mins of running burns me about 1k calories. I don’t think it’s highly unlikely to burn 1k with 90 mins of exercise, dependent on exertion level of course. Now those who claim a 1k burn in 60 mins are pretty laughable. But 1k in 90 mins is not unfathomable.

what exercise is netting you 1000cal burn in 90min? because that is like 3.5hrs of cycling for me at 16mph

@deannalfisher

I think you might be underestimating your calorie burn.
    An extremely low average power output of 80w would mean a net calorie burn of 1,008 net calories for three and a half hours and I very much doubt 80w would give you 16mph unless you are on an ultra-aerodynamic recumbent, wearing a skin suit and in a velodrome.

ETA - a power output of 200w for an hour and a half is 1080 net cals.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I am constantly amazed on this site by the amount of calories people "claim" to have burned by exercise. I'm sorry, but most people (especially older women) are not burning 1000 calories from an hour and half of exercise. I went on a 100 mile hike in New Mexico, and I didn't lose a pound, even when hiking 10 plus miles a day with a 45 pack on my back.

90 mins of running burns me about 1k calories. I don’t think it’s highly unlikely to burn 1k with 90 mins of exercise, dependent on exertion level of course. Now those who claim a 1k burn in 60 mins are pretty laughable. But 1k in 90 mins is not unfathomable.

what exercise is netting you 1000cal burn in 90min? because that is like 3.5hrs of cycling for me at 16mph

@deannalfisher

An extremely low average power output of 80w would mean a net calorie burn of 1,008 net calories for three and a half hours and I very much doubt 80w would give you 16mph unless you are on an ultra-aerodynamic recumbent, wearing a skin suit and in a velodrome.

i don't use power - but that was derived off my HR and gps settings on my polar for a race

ETA - my polar flow file from the race - https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/1464888268
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia...

The average American consumes 3750 calories per day
    2nd highest in the world

PER DAY!

I believe it. When I first started on MFP I realized after tracking for a day or two, that was how much I had been eating. It was easy to cut back once I knew how much I had been consuming, and how much I should be eating.

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Carrying heavy bodyweight, whether muscle or fat, has been shown to be detrimental to health.

It puts a strain on your heart in either case.

And can also affect other organs like your liver, kidneys, pancreas, lymph system, brain, vision/eyes, joints, immune system, teeth, skin etc, etc, etc.

I recall reading somewhere that people who are motivated most to lose weight are folks trying to improve or eliminate their health issues.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@deannalfisher

i don't use power - but that was derived off my HR and gps settings on my polar for a race

ETA - my polar flow file from the race - https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/1464888268

@deannalfisher

There's some calculators (like this one - http://bikecalculator.com/wattsMetric.html ) that attempt to back calculate your power from your speed/distance/weight/bike etc. etc.
    Strava tries to do the same kind of thing from your stats, your bike details and elevation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd agree that running over 10 miles in 90 min will burn around 1000 cal (depending on weight -- 100 cal per mile is about right for 150 lb), but the vast majority of people who log those kinds of stats (let alone doing so daily) aren't running 10+ miles.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn’t call a 10+ mile run the norm for many ppl - that is within range of believable

But seeing 1000+ for an hour of elliptical or similar
  • deannalfisher
    Options

@deannalfisher

@deannalfisher

There's some calculators (like this one - http://bikecalculator.com/wattsMetric.html ) that attempt to back calculate your power from your speed/distance/weight/bike etc. etc.
    Strava tries to do the same kind of thing from your stats, your bike details and elevation.

Ugh that’s just depressing! It estimated 140 watts and 1400cal
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

90 minutes running, 1000 calories....yeah, that's about right.

Idk anything about your stats, but 16mph for 3.5hours (outside) would probably be in the same ballpark. Cycling, you aren't performing a steady effort due to downhills, momentum, etc. Switch to flat 19mph and different story...
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

I can run 11.5-12 miles in 90 mins, that burns me about 1k calories. I’m 33 y/o, 5’1” ~110 lbs.

Ran 13.2 today in 2 hours. Steady effort, HR avg 75% max (for people who think that matters). 29, 5'7, 146, female.
    Burned about 1200.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

I can run 11.5-12 miles in 90 mins, that burns me about 1k calories. I’m 33 y/o, 5’1” ~110 lbs.

Ran 13.2 today in 2 hours. Steady effort, HR avg 75% max (for people who think that matters). 29, 5'7, 146, female.
    Burned about 1200.

Right on, that’s a great run and sounds about right for calories burned. I get in 15-16 miles in 2 hours, and usually clock about 1300 or so calories burned.