The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    BASIC CRUNCH- Most people I see in the gym do this wrong. The most common mistake is that they interlace their fingers then clasp them behind their head. Then while doing the crunch, they pull with their arms forcing the head forward and "tucking" the chin on the chest. This usually leads to neck pain and minimal stimulation of crunching the abs.
    So instead try this: Laying on the floor with on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor, with fingers extended, just touch the sides of your temples. Now looking at the ceiling and keeping your chin up (think of your chin tied to a string on the ceiling) bring your shoulders off the mat WITHOUT lifting your hips or low back off the floor. Breathe out as you do this. If you can't go that high, that's okay. It means that you'll keep working at it. Breathe in as you return to the mat. 3 sets of up to 20 (if you can't do 20 don't fret) should be fine if you really contract the abs and not just "speed" through the motion. Just remember to keep your chin off your chest!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've found that reverse desk pushups (stand facing away from a desk/table/chair with the heel of your hand on the desk, drop your butt, then use arms to push yourself back up) works really well for "bat wings" because I am seriously uncoordinated and sometimes hit myself in the head with the dumbell when doing lying tricep extensions (I wish I was joking).
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the crunch info, especially the chin tip. My gym has a seated crunch machine, but I am too wide for it - my "girls" get caught by the arm pads, so I need a good basic alternative to work that region until I will fit in the machine. This really helps. I have been doing part of the motion right - never lock my hands behind my head - but was still tucking the chin into my chest. Thanks again. :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've found that reverse desk pushups (stand facing away from a desk/table/chair with the heel of your hand on the desk, drop your butt, then use arms to push yourself back up) works really well for "bat wings" because I am seriously uncoordinated and sometimes hit myself in the head with the dumbell when doing lying tricep extensions (I wish I was joking).
    Well even better is if you could do those push ups and keep your elbows at close to the sides of your body as your can. This would activate the triceps more.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for the crunch info, especially the chin tip. My gym has a seated crunch machine, but I am too wide for it - my "girls" get caught by the arm pads, so I need a good basic alternative to work that region until I will fit in the machine. This really helps. I have been doing part of the motion right - never lock my hands behind my head - but was still tucking the chin into my chest. Thanks again. :bigsmile:
    My pleasure.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Well even better is if you could do those push ups and keep your elbows at close to the sides of your body as your can. This would activate the triceps more.

I think I do, but I'll keep an eye on it. In fact, it's about time for my break so I'll be doing 50 in just a few.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Well done for chosing a compound move, these have been shown in any study carried out in the last 20 years for being superior in both strength gains and fat burning. As you know, you can't cause localised fat burning.

50 though? Are you sure it isn't time to find something lower to do them on, to push you to get stronger still?
  • topyule
    topyule Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They are. Use a weight you can handle and maintain control all the way down.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the very informative posts, helps people like me who haven't been into fitness at all in their life and are trying to learn!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Well done for chosing a compound move, these have been shown in any study carried out in the last 20 years for being superior in both strength gains and fat burning. As you know, you can't cause localised fat burning.

50 though? Are you sure it isn't time to find something lower to do them on, to push you to get stronger still?

I do 100, four sets of 25 most work days. I do them on my break at work and lowering my desk isn't really an option. But this has been working for me for months and I really don't have time for any more so I'll probably just stick with these. I also do 100 front desk pushups and some lunges and squats and I only get two 15 min breaks so not much time left.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I'm telling you to do less.

I was trying to be polite.

I know you can't lower your desk, find something else.

Make the exercise harder, so that you can only just perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good info - thanks! I actually to the skullcrushers (LOL - didn't realize that was the nickname) in a standing position - making sure I bend and the knees and tuck in my abs. I've actually had to stretch again at work today because my triceps are tight - so I know they are working!

Thanks for your info! :flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Actually Fran, that's another safe(ish) tricep move. The only ones I've seen referred to as skullcrushers are the ones where there's a good chance you will crush your skull if you and your partner lose focus!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Free workout advice! It's like Christmas! :happy:

Seriously though...what would be your suggestion for the most effective workout to gain muscle definition in my back?

Thanks!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Anything specific? What do you do at the moment? Why do you want more def in your back?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later =)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Note, the owner of this thread has already said he won't write a program for you
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I didn't ask for a 'program'...I asked for an exercise recommendation. As in...'one exercise'.

At the moment, I'm not doing anything specific for my back. I do want to tone up overall, but I just figured I would ask about the back!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Good info - thanks! I actually to the skullcrushers (LOL - didn't realize that was the nickname) in a standing position - making sure I bend and the knees and tuck in my abs. I've actually had to stretch again at work today because my triceps are tight - so I know they are working!

Thanks for your info! :flowerforyou:
    Overhead tricep extensions are the name for these. Slightly hit the long head at a different angle, but effective nonetheless. Just make sure that the eccentric (decent of the weight on these) is in control and that you don't bounce at the bottom to momentum the way up. People that do it that way will end up with hurting joints. Muscle the weight up to be safe.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Free workout advice! It's like Christmas! :happy:

Seriously though...what would be your suggestion for the most effective workout to gain muscle definition in my back?

Thanks!
    Definition "appears" when BF% is low. However if you want to dedicate more time to effective back exercises, compound movements like barbell rows, pull ups and deadlifts are proven back builders.