No more soda

Options

Replies

• jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can pry wine "from my cold dead hands"....to quote another poster. haha

I go on soda binges, but I often don't stock it. For instance, when Pepsi has a sale of 4/$10 12 packs, Ill get a variety of diet sodas because....well, sometimes, ya just want a soda!

But then I get soda-ed out and don't purchase them except with fast food combos.

For those that don't do it at all....you have more will power than me. I commend you, brothers and sisters!
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I still drink more Coke Zero than I should, but moving to club soda and getting a soda stream helped a lot. I like a dash of flavored bitters in the soda stream sparkling water. It's refreshing, hits the bubble craving and still hydrating.

And yes, I know there's nothing "wrong" with diet soda in general, but I was drinking waaaaay too much Coke Zero before, think 6+ cans a day.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda. Actually I avoid most juices too. I prefer water for during the day, coffee first thing in the morning and herbal teas (plain or just with milk) in the evening. My sons ditched soda when they were in HS sports because the coach told them it was bad for athletes, so we stopped bringing it into the house way back then. I don't miss it, but then I was never really a regular drinker even before that.
  • twinkit
    twinkit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I switched to the bubbly brand sparkling water. Also, BodyArmour has some cane sugar products that are full of vitamins and such. Only 70 calories for 8oz. Might mix with sparkling water. Many flavors.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    nutrofight wrote: »
    I gave up Diet Coke about 9 months ago. I was drinking 6 or more cans a day. The withdrawal symptoms were terrible but I ploughed through and it was worth it. Diet coke may not affect your weight loss but it certainly affects your teeth. The bacteria in your mouth can't tell the difference between sugar and sweetners and the acid in the drink attacks the enamel. My teeth and gums have been much healthier recently. Also after the initial withdrawal symptoms I began to feel better in myself. I slept better and my digestive system worked better.

Since the bacteria in your mouth live off of the energy in the sugar and sweeteners don't have energy, you should get your findings to the nobel prize commitee asap, you just solved world hunger and intergalactic space travel in one go.

How can a sweetner like aspartame have no energy, it is a peptide. Do you not count calories from protein?

Because it is so sweet (200-400 times sweeter than sugar) that they can use it in amounts that don't add a significant number of calories to whatever it's added to.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congrats on over a week without! It's tough for some. It certainly was for me... the headaches :( To help get by, I would go the koolaid route. Crystal lite's fruit punch and some other brand's cherry kept me sane. I eventually didn't even think about soda. I upped my caffeine intake with tea to balance it and control the other side effects. Now, I'll drink a coke zero if I'm wanting the fizzies since I think all the "water" options with fizzies or flavor are gross.

Keep it up! It definitely gets easier.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Bubbles were my trigger for soda I discovered (after some trial and error with flavored waters, diet soda, etc).

So, sparkling water takes care of 99% of my soda desires! I go through plenty of sparkling waters, I prefer the ones with a little natural flavor, but found I don't need the sweet side of artificial sweeteners (which I prefer to avoid if I can most of the time).

I still have my coffee every morning, so that kept the headaches at bay.
  • nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bubbles were my trigger for soda I discovered (after some trial and error with flavored waters, diet soda, etc).

So, sparkling water takes care of 99% of my soda desires! I go through plenty of sparkling waters, I prefer the ones with a little natural flavor, but found I don't need the sweet side of artificial sweeteners (which I prefer to avoid if I can most of the time).

You might want to avoid coffee too, it has flightonutrients, which you might want to avoid.

What are flightonutrients?

• nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

You might want to avoid coffee too, it has flightonutrients, which you might want to avoid.

What are flightonutrients?

They are things that cause other nutrients to leave, or "fly" out of you instead of being absorbed, hence flightonutrients. Things like soy and other legumes can be high in them. That might be why cancer is going up in the USA as soy consumption goes up.

LOL
  • baconbutt1996
    baconbutt1996 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really like having soda water, sometimes with a splash of cordial!