Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts can be done 2x week.

FYI - the typo in your OP didn't make that clear.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    While I have no idea on TLS and NROL4W (because they are book links and I can't see the setup) most the others are for 3 day a week workouts. Since my wife can only lift twice a week is it fine to just extend out the program for now or would there be a different recommendation?

NROL4W is a basic A/B lifting program. TLS has a 3, 4, and 5 day programs. StrongCurves is largely lower body focused if your wife wants more booty focused. You could take a 3 day full body and make it a 2 day program if that is all you have availability for; similarly, you could do that with a 4 day program since many are upper/lower. Recognize that in the beginning, it's not optimal, but that can change if your wife enjoys the programs and gets more time for them.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 sorry about that, it has been a long week already with not enough sleep. Missed that typo.

Thanks for the input from the both of you. I'll pass this on to my wife.

@psuLemon yeah I'm hoping that the lifting bug will bite her and this will become more frequent but twice a week is all I could get out of her for the moment.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @quiksylver296 sorry about that, it has been a long week already with not enough sleep. Missed that typo.

@psuLemon yeah I'm hoping that the lifting bug will bite her and this will become more frequent but twice a week is all I could get out of her for the moment.

FYI - Stronglifts 5X5 has a free app you can download. It takes all the guesswork out of the program. It tells you what exercise to do at what weight. I found that feature super helpful. @azercord
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 I'll have to give it a peek then. I've got some free time this week before I head home for the weekend.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

FYI - Stronglifts 5X5 has a free app you can download. It takes all the guesswork out of the program. It tells you what exercise to do at what weight. I found that feature super helpful. @azercord

The Stronglifts 5x5 smartphone app (using the Android version) is the reason I started and stuck with it for the past few months.

Paying for the bonus upgrades? Honestly, is worth it.

I started with just the Olympic bar back on December 23rd, 2017 and I've made great strength gains overall.

Today, was workout B, and I just did, for the first time, Overhead Press of 135 lbs. for 5x5 and it feels awesome.

My Squat was 240 lbs. and Deadlift was 265 lbs.

Also the app, in paid form, gives you assistance work options: So I chose for workout B, Barbell Curls and Close Grip Bench Press.

• hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've always wondered why most programs are upper body focused? Like if it's not a split format, there is usually 1 day for legs and every other day for upper body. Or when it's 3 days of full body there is only 2-3 exercises for lower body and 10 other for upper body. Is this because they are mostly written for men who usually don't really care about building muscles for their lower body? Or is 1 day a week enough to build leg muscles for real? I know there are programs which are more lower body focused, I'm just curious.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    reeeggiii wrote: »
    I've always wondered why most programs are upper body focused? Like if it's not a split format, there is usually 1 day for legs and every other day for upper body. Or when it's 3 days of full body there is only 2-3 exercises for lower body and 10 other for upper body. Is this because they are mostly written for men who usually don't really care about building muscles for their lower body? Or is 1 day a week enough to build leg muscles for real? I know there are programs which are more lower body focused, I'm just curious.

Mostly because the lower body is simpler in structure/muscle groups than the upper body. Comparing legs to upper body isn't a fair comparison. It would be more accurate to compare lower body/legs to only working the arms and shoulders in the upper body (and even then, the shoulders are more complex than the glutes/hips).

As for whether one day a week is enough to build leg muscles, the general consensus in the evidence-based community right now is that working a muscle group twice per week is optimal in terms of gains.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I have no idea either. Maybe some of those programs are written for more advanced bodybuilders who are just adding a little extra to their already developed physiques, they are already satisfied with their lower body progress.

I focus on lower body 4x per week so working it only once a week would be so suboptimal for my goals. Before I knew what I was doing I did a typical "bro split" with one leg day a week.. and my lack of results reflected that ... Yikes :s
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is this a good barbell to start off with? I want to move on to stronglifts but I've seen a bunch of different barbells I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to be looking for something in particular.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/US-Weight-55-lbs-Aerobic-Weight-Set/2171148
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Is this a good barbell to start off with? I want to move on to stronglifts but I've seen a bunch of different barbells I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to be looking for something in particular.

Look for a 45lb olympic barbell. You need a squat rack.

This barbell and weights is good for "exercising" but not for a strength program.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I have no idea either. Maybe some of those programs are written for more advanced bodybuilders who are just adding a little extra to their already developed physiques, they are already satisfied with their lower body progress.

I focus on lower body 4x per week so working it only once a week would be so suboptimal for my goals. Before I knew what I was doing I did a typical "bro split" with one leg day a week.. and my lack of results reflected that ... Yikes :s

Well your body is GOALS now :) I suspected that 1 day for gains is like doing nothing at all... :D
  • GirlVersusFat
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

This barbell and weights is good for "exercising" but not for a strength program.

can I go without the squat rack or use something else that wont take up so much space?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options

can I go without the squat rack or use something else that wont take up so much space?

Google "squat rack stands."
  • GirlVersusFat
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I know what a squat rack stand is, I just wanted to know if it was really that important particularly for a beginner like myself, I thought it was for lifting very heavy.

I guess I will either not do barbell squats or opted out of buying a barbell all together
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you are looking into doing Stronglifts, even as a beginner, you will need a squat rack pretty fast, and a bar and plates that will take you through that beginners programme to an intermediate level.

Look for equipment that will allow you to lift 2x+ your body weight in a deadlift and squat (as a minimum). You don't want to keep out growing and having to reinvest in the basics.

Before investing in equipment you may want to try a gym (if this is an option) for a couple of months to see how you progress and what you need to invest in for a home gym.

Cheers, h.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I know what a squat rack stand is, I just wanted to know if it was really that important particularly for a beginner like myself, I thought it was for lifting very heavy.

I guess I will either not do barbell squats or opted out of buying a barbell all together

A squat rack stand (and full rack) is mainly a SAFETY device.

A squat rack stand would be suitable for lower weights (I'd guess around 250) but should labeled with specific weight rating.

They make it easier to place the bar on (and get it off) your shoulders but the safety arms on the rack (if positioned properly) prevent the bar from pinning you to the ground and injuring you, if you fail doing a squat.

If you are going to do bad squats w/a barbell, you should get a pair or join a gym and use the rack there for your own safety.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    @Lee1st1974, you might want to check this thread out
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I think it’s the bodybuilding centric mentality. Lower body just doesn’t stand out gym bro whose looking for bicep peaks.

I run a upper lower split that gives equal billing to both part. If I didn’t have a hang up with the bench I’d focus more on lower. It means more to total in competition.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

You're going to be up to 100 lbs + before you know it. You gonna press that over your head?