Artificial Sweetners-Gum and Diet Pop

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Kazane you come on these boards asking basic basic questions but then you want to present the cold hard facts...nah

Yeah.. people know some things and don’t know other things you no, that’s the whole point of learning. Just because your learning the basics of one thing doesn’t mean you no nothing about anything else. I just thought I would let the OP know that if you just stick to water you shouldn’t have any problems to worry about that’s all. I didn’t mean for or want any hate to come from it as that wasn’t my intention.

If OP sticks to artificially sweetened drinks and any other drinks she likes within calorie allowance she won't have anything to worry about either.

And OP's question was ' what are your experiences with artificial sweeeteners'

Nobody was asking if they are neccesary - obviously they are not. Just like any other individual food is not.
    But what is point of stating that??
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The best teas are considered to be around 50-150 ppm of solids in water. That means that the tea itself is 999850/1000000 or 99.985% water.

I didn't know there was a metric for that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Water is the only drink our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference the sooner you tune into that the better. Sweeteners.. sugars.. it’s all refined rubbish in my opinion.. water FTW!

You do realize that most drinks are somewhere around 99% water, right? Soda, tea, coffee, etc. Even milk (which has lots of vital nutrients in it) is somewhere around 90% water.

Yeah but water is 100% water.. in most cases. So that sounds better to me
    Lol, let me guess, you only eat 100% natural foods too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Water is the only drink our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference the sooner you tune into that the better. Sweeteners.. sugars.. it’s all refined rubbish in my opinion.. water FTW!

You do realize that most drinks are somewhere around 99% water, right? Soda, tea, coffee, etc. Even milk (which has lots of vital nutrients in it) is somewhere around 90% water.

Yeah but water is 100% water.. in most cases. So that sounds better to me
    Lol, let me guess, you only eat 100% natural foods too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No I don’t. But I do try my best to do so.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity, do you follow the Soylent diet or something similar?

Nooo I don’t lol, I try and stick to a whole foods diet mainly. Is the Doyle t diet an actual thing lol?

Soylent is a liquid diet meant to include 100% of everything our bodies need. I'm surprised you're a proponent of things your body doesn't need when it comes to food but not when it comes to drinks.

Sounds nice but our stomachs are built to break things down into liquid so it would suck to be drinking just liquid all the time and take that function away from our body’s :( still a good idea though.

Someone built your stomach?

Yep :)

Well, the rest of us were not constructed in that manner so your advice wouldn't be relevant for us.

We don't have to worry about what we were "built" to do, we don't have to limit our behaviors in an attempt to conform with what we imagine the intentions our builder had for each particular part of our body (or maybe the person who built your stomach also left you a set of detailed instructions, I'm not sure what the situation is exactly).

Your confusing, my main point I’m making is that water is good to drink and probably the most optimal thing for our body’s. Why you gotta go confuse everything and make such a big deal out of it.

I'm sorry that I'm confusing you. Yes, water is good to drink. It doesn't follow that other things are therefore bad to drink, especially when those things are also mostly water.

No need to apologise I’m not offended by your statements I’m just saying there a bit confusing as all. Yeah your right they might not be “bad” to drink but there surely not better I wouldn’t think..
    So once again it then comes down to preference I would say..

Is anybody arguing that drinks with artificial sweeteners are "better" than water? You seem to be arguing against something that nobody has asserted.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Nooo I don’t lol, I try and stick to a whole foods diet mainly. Is the Doyle t diet an actual thing lol?

Soylent is a liquid diet meant to include 100% of everything our bodies need. I'm surprised you're a proponent of things your body doesn't need when it comes to food but not when it comes to drinks.

Sounds nice but our stomachs are built to break things down into liquid so it would suck to be drinking just liquid all the time and take that function away from our body’s :( still a good idea though.

Well, the rest of us were not constructed in that manner so your advice wouldn't be relevant for us.

We don't have to worry about what we were "built" to do, we don't have to limit our behaviors in an attempt to conform with what we imagine the intentions our builder had for each particular part of our body (or maybe the person who built your stomach also left you a set of detailed instructions, I'm not sure what the situation is exactly).

Your confusing, my main point I’m making is that water is good to drink and probably the most optimal thing for our body’s. Why you gotta go confuse everything and make such a big deal out of it.

I'm sorry that I'm confusing you. Yes, water is good to drink. It doesn't follow that other things are therefore bad to drink, especially when those things are also mostly water.

No need to apologise I’m not offended by your statements I’m just saying there a bit confusing as all. Yeah your right they might not be “bad” to drink but there surely not better I wouldn’t think..

Is anybody arguing that drinks with artificial sweeteners are "better" than water? You seem to be arguing against something that nobody has asserted.

Based on the chart posted above, a sound argument can be made that they are in fact better. Although at present no-one has taken that position. Simply the position that they are neither better nor worse.

a04440_981c120d93dd486f8edabd96dece212c~mv2.png

Reposted for reference.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    As I said water is the liquid our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference :D

This is a ridiculous, reductionist line of reasoning which makes no sense to me from the get-go.

There are many, many things in our lives that we don't NEED - but they make our lives more enjoyable and convenient. I mean, I don't NEED a nice, juicy ribeye steak - I suppose I could go hunt and kill a steer with my bare hands and kneel on the ground next to it to gnaw on the raw meat (because we don't NEED fire to survive either). But nah - I'd rather drive to the grocery store (in a car I don't NEED), buy the ribeye, cook it on my grill (which I don't NEED) and enjoy it with a nice glass of red (which I don't NEED) in the comfort of my home (which I don't NEED). And maybe even share a picture of my dinner on the internet (which I don't NEED) using my computer (which I don't NEED).

Extrapolating that argument into food/nutrition in general, there are a lot of things we eat that we don't NEED. We could survive on a small variety of raw vegetables and a bit of meat to get all the essential macro and micronutrients, but why would one want to intentionally have such a limited, monotonous diet?

If I wanted to live like a monk, I would have joined a monastery. But I somehow don't feel the need for asceticism as virtue signalling.

Thank you for listing your preferences and life chocies to me, but irrelevant but aye it’s a free world and all that..
    But this was the exact point i was making”our body’s NEED water so why not stick with that anything from there is just preference”
    Wheather he prefers aspartame cola or she prefers wine by the fire..or whatever.. my statement still stands.

I wasn’t trying to start hate on here that wasn’t my intention at all I was just trying to help someone out. That’s all.

You totally missed his point.

Let me ask you a question.

Do you eat vegetables, fruit, bread, or grains?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Unfortunately drinks like soda, tea, and coffee have caffeine in them, which dehydrate you...water by itself hydrates you. Also water has 0 calories. Nothing wrong with drinking other beverages (as long as they fit your caloric goals), but you can't beat good old H20. I drink a gallon of water a day.

Well...

a04440_981c120d93dd486f8edabd96dece212c~mv2.png

The level of fluid retention in sodas and tea will depend on the caffeine content, which is why you'll notice coffee is lower than water. Interesting chart though, thanks for sharing. Either way, as I said, I aim for 1 gallon water per day, which equates to over 10 cans of soda. Don't think there's anything wrong with a few cans of soda, etc. but for me to hit my gallon of water/day, I need to rely mostly on actual water.

If it was dependent on caffeine, wouldn't water be higher than cola, diet cola, tea, and cold tea?

Not just caffeine, but I think that's one of the driving factors. It depends on how much you drink too. In small doses, caffeine fine, but too much can have a diuretic affect. Coffee typically has more caffeine than tea/soda, so I believe that's why it's lower on the BHI.

Guess what? Water is a diuretic.

Sorry, should've been more clear. I know everything you drink will make you urinate. I meant diuretic to the point where you're absorbing less than your intake. Not sure what the proper term is for that.

Dehydrating. Which drinks with caffine arent.

"Some studies show that caffeinated drinks such as tea are just as hydrating as water when consumed in moderate amounts. Caffeine may dehydrate you if you consume 500 mg or more per day."

Source: https://www.livestrong.com/article/524680-does-tea-have-a-dehydrating-effect/

It's typical that people consuming extremely high amounts of many things (including vegetables, protein, or even *water itself*) are at risk for side effects/health consequences that others consume more normal amounts don't have to worry about.

500 mg of caffeine from diet soda is a lot. We're not talking about typical daily consumption here even for people who are drinking a lot of diet soda.