Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    Hi all! Day 4 AF for me so far. I signed up for the Annie Grace 30 day experiment that one of you guys recommended. So far I really like it! The only down side is that I can't hear the videos (I'm hard of hearing) and there are no captions!!! Why on earth not? Maybe I should send Annie Grace an email? Anyway, for those of you who did the program, do the videos add a lot to it or is the reading good enough?

@donimfp so sorry about your job but I like your positive outlook!

The videos are a big part, for sure. It stinks they are hard to hear, though :( I loved the experiment and do not think I would be where I am without having gone through those 30 days of being really introspective and honest in the journal.
    It was so important to me that I gave a donation at the end because it goes "poof" and you don't have access to it after about 32 days. I still want to be able to see some of the videos and read the things I wrote as I battled through that first month.

I know we all have different goals and there is so much help in the way she teaches regardless of where you want to go in your relationship with alcohol. Good luck to you!

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @SouthernCountryGirl Thank you for those most inspiring words of encouragement and personal reflections. <3
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Cir3 wrote: »
    Yes I have binge watched all I care to binge, and do read more, been riding my bicycle and getting back in shape and that feels great. I just want the friends, good times, and laughs without the tab... both financially and physically. I wish sober people would dance funny, sing poorly, and laugh at everything

Perhaps join some meetups that focus on things you're interested in: reading, exercise, whatever you like. You might make some friends there that don't depend on alcohol to have a good time.
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @SouthernCountryGirl Thank you for those most inspiring words of encouragement and personal reflections. <3

I agree that was a very inspiring post to read.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I’m new and I’m in! I’m not new to MFP having used it before to lose 15kg. However I’ve put it all back on so I’m back. Since last time I was here my husband has pointed out to me that I have a problem with alcohol. I don’t know what you call it, whether it falls into alcoholism or not, but when I am out socially and have a few drinks, I can’t stop and end up getting ridiculously blackout drunk. I don’t drink at home much, and if I do, it’s a max of 1-2 drinks maybe 1-2 days a week, but it’s the social setting that kills me! So my goal will be AF Monday-Thursday and max 2 drinks at home/social occasions Friday-Sunday.

Welcome! I am happy you set some healthy goals for yourself. It really is for overall wellness and truly is a better lifestyle. I've read when you drink alcohol, the Body goes straight to metabolizing that alcohol and focuses all body organs on that, so the food is not metabolized effectively. Hence, the bigger belly, etc.
    Keep updating us on your journey!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    Made it through this week. Tonight is the 5th day AF. When watching TV and people are drinking, in the past I'd think, 'Mmm', I likey. This week, a show had people drinking wine with dinner, something I enjoy, and I found myself looking at the glass of wine and thinking, 'oh no.' A nice change re the thought process instead of craving it.

Sometimes, I think how come every one else can drink a few with dinner, but I cant seem to handle that or it turns into more or many days of nightly drinking. BUT it really is an illusion that we have been fooled into thinking that it's so harmless and so natural to have a few drinks of wine. Congrats on 5 AF days. Keep up the good work!
  • RubyRed427
    Options

@SouthernCountryGirl Thanks for your beautiful insights. You are an inspiration.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @SouthernCountryGirl Love your wisdom and encouragement.

@ehseeker Don't watch Mad Men then. That show is reeking with bad habits with drinking at the top.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    @SouthernCountryGirl Love your wisdom and encouragement.

@ehseeker Don't watch Mad Men then. That show is reeking with bad habits with drinking at the top.

I think Peaky Blinders is even worse. They're drinking straight whiskey constantly. My son asked 'How do they get anything done?"
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 - always appreciate these videos and, believe me, am passing them on to my son, his girlfriend and other people I know who are trying to moderate or become AF.

BTW, congrats on your amazing victory the other night when you had only one drink. Way to go and work that moderation muscle. You rock!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @donimfp - I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your job. I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything here, and I'm sure you're bummed and probably in a bit of a panic, BUT . . . I can't tell you how many people I know who've been through this who come out the other end in a better situation: better pay, more fulfilling work, etc. I have many friends who've said losing their jobs is the best thing that ever happened to them. Again, not trying to by Pollyanna here and for sure this is rough. Just trying to be encouraging. Thinking of you!
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@Leeg5656 and @ehseeker Yes, Mad Men is the worst show you can watch while quitting alcohol. Haha. They are constantly pouring a stiff drink and yet still able to work at the office. Except for Don Draper, it is not working for him after awhile.

Agreed about Mad Men! I stuck it out for four episodes because of all the rave reviews but one of the main reasons I stopped watching is that I found the constant drinking, smoking, and sexual harassing to be distracting and ultimately, tiresome! Ok, we get it! They drank and smoke and harassed women! All the time! Constantly! We get it! Lol.

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello from Sayulita Mexico - it’s been a great week. The food and margaritas have been fabulous, but I definitely feel like I need a good long break from eating and drinking. I get home Sunday and then have to go to SF a week later for work so my goal is AF until then. I don’t feel bad about what I’ve have this week. Last fall in Costa Rica I definitely “thought” more about drinking - when I would get to have a glass of wine and how much I would have. This trip I feel very relaxed and tonight my husband poured me a Pacifico to have to watch the sunset and I ended up just giving it to him. It just didn’t seem necessary. This is a nice change! But I feel like it might be a tough week to transition out of vacation mode next week!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    @Cleosweetie I felt the same way about Mad Men!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 you have been inspiring! I hope the party was fun AF. I went to a wedding in Jan when I was dry. It was fun but not “as” fun, mostly because of that mental thought process - like feeling punished. The next day I was so grateful to feel awesome, but I definitely didn’t want to stay late at the party by any means. I also hung out at the dessert table a little too much ha!