Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Fess up - I didn't practice too much self control in March. I lost the plot on too many days. I managed to maintain my weight, though, so there's some triumph to celebrate. I recorded every bad day of eating and realized that even many bad days still can't derail me if I get up over and over and keep trying. I bought some foods that I know I can't moderate but managed to lie to myself at the grocery store and brought them home.
    I also was all over the map with changing my daily calorie goal and in a way that was me being sneaky so I could eat more.

This month, I'm lowering my calories to 1250 per day and I'm not listening to the noise of others who think that's a bad idea. I have a LOT of fat on my body and I think I'll be okay at least until I get under 200. I have 54 pounds to go. I just want to get there once and for all.
    I started the month of April with overeating but turned things around on the 3rd.

My goal is to eat 100g protein, 45g fat and 120 or 130g of carbs per day. My goal is to eat 800+ grams of fruits and vegetables per day. If I don't add in too many empty nutrition foods, I feel pretty full on 1250.

My other fess up is that I'm a real slouch when it comes to exercise and I have no good excuses not to.
    I have to incorporate some movement even if it's "just" walking. My friend invited me to the Tai Chi class she goes to on Thursdays so I'm going to go do that, too. It's a beginner's class and she says it's a real nice group of people that participate.
  • Birder165
    Options
    canyonGeek wrote: »
    @Birder165 Sounds like solid plan. You totally got this! Also, you might enjoy this reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplenty

Thank you for the encouragement and the link! :)
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @kbeyer23 I can relate. There are certain things I cannot keep in the house, or they call my name too. You're done with that now...you've got this!

@Nikion901 I LOVE the saying you posted! How very true...give up, give in, or give it all you've got. I will remember that!

@Lakota1961 Yeah, we pretty much tell it like it is. No point in hiding it or lying about it. You only fool yourself. Sometimes just writing it down for your own eyes to see, sort of makes it more real and hits you smack dab in the face to see what needs to be done. No one says you have to tell the truth though, it all depends on each individual's comfort level. One thing's for sure, everyone on this board has struggled at some point or they wouldn't be here. However one chooses to be accountable, works.

@SammyKlingler Wow, congrats on the 2 sizes smaller! What a great feeling!! That is a big NSV! Be proud!

@Birder165 I hear you about being a slouch at exercise. I really get none to speak of. Between a bad back and very bad knees, I just can't. I did, however, just yesterday, put a step counter on my phone so started doing that. For whatever reason I found myself walking just a bit more to see the numbers increase, nothing major mind you, but it was a start.

@skinnyjeanzbound Way to go and staying about the same in spite of no logging. You have got this down and probably don't even realize it.

Wishing everyone a great weekend!
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Think Spring! Challenge
    Name: Heather
    Height: 5' 5"
    Highest Weight: 308
    Start Weight (Mar 01, 2018): 306
    Goal Weight (Apr 27, 2018): 290

Weigh-ins, week of
    Mar 09: 305.6
    Mar 16: 305.0
    Mar 23: 303.4
    Mar 30: 305.0
    Apr 06:303.6
    Apr 13:
    Apr 20:
    Apr 27:

Weight -/+ this week: + 1.4
    Weight -/+ this challenge: 2.4
    Total weight lost: 4.4

I've bounced back from my week of no exercise, but I have only done 2 workouts so far (3rd will be today) because I've been taking rest days as to not re-aggravate my back. I'm also icing whenever I feel tightness or pain, as recommended by the doc.
  • moodybear2003
    Options
    Ok, Logging question for everyone. Our gym has Cybex Arc trainers. MFP doesn't have a preset calculator for it. The machine said I burned 124 cal in 15 minutes. Cybex's official calculator said I burned 447. That's a big difference. The closest thing MFP has is an ellipical, and that said i would have burned 306. Right now, I have Cybex's number logged, but I don't know if I picked the right one. Which would you have logged?
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Spring Challenge
    Name: Holly
    Height: 5’3”
    Highest Weight: 284
    Start Weight (Mar 01, 2018): 265.7
    Goal Weight (Apr 27, 2018): 255

Weigh-ins, week of
    Mar 09: 261.8
    Mar 16: 261.4
    Mar 23: 260.4
    Mar 30: 260.9
    Apr 06: 259.2
    Apr 13:
    Apr 20:
    Apr 27:

Weight -/+ this week: -1.7
    Weight -/+ this challenge: -6.5
    Total weight lost: 23.8
  • Birder165
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ok, Logging question for everyone. Our gym has Cybex Arc trainers. MFP doesn't have a preset calculator for it. The machine said I burned 124 cal in 15 minutes. Cybex's official calculator said I burned 447. That's a big difference. The closest thing MFP has is an ellipical, and that said i would have burned 306. Right now, I have Cybex's number logged, but I don't know if I picked the right one. Which would you have logged?

Personally, I would pick the lowest number - 124 cal. from the machine. Second choice for me would be to average the 2 lowest numbers to get 215 cals.
    I would eat all the exercise calories back if I used the lowest numbers but only eat about half at the highest numbers just to cover my butt in case of intake or output errors.

eta: I found this chart to help calculate calorie burns for different activities: https://www.hss.edu/conditions_burning-calories-with-exercise-calculating-estimated-energy-expenditure.asp
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Spring Challenge
    Name - Gabe
    Height - 6ft
    3/1/18 - 331
    3/16/18 - 325
    3/25/18 - 314.5
    4/1/18 - 311.5
    4/8/18 - 309.5

• happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options

I would chose the lowest one ... better be conservative. Not sure if you eat back the exercise calories, but if you do better to just be 124 than 447 because if it was wrong you wasted your exercise that day and are actually gaining instead of loosing.

I have not worked out for a while, but I used to have a PT before and I only logged 30minutes instead of 60 to give me room for error to what MFP calculates.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options

[quote="Birder165;c-41765127"
    https://www.hss.edu/conditions_burning-calories-with-exercise-calculating-estimated-energy-expenditure.asp[/quote]

I ditto the thoughts about exercise calories ... especially after reading this from the link shared by Birder. ...

"If you want a more accurate idea of how fast you’ll burn calories to lose weight, you must figure out what you would have burned if you were just sitting around, instead of exercising, for the same time period. Then subtract these calories from your exercise calories. This is your energy deficit, or the amount of calories you can count on for fat loss. You will notice that vigorous intensity exercise gives faster results."

I think the exercise calories you get from most machines and fitness trackers is total expenditure, not just what was burned as extra during your workout. It's the extra you can eat some back from if you want to slow down the rate of loss or use the exercise to be able to eat more than your daily intake goal.

MFP doesn't take exercise into account when it gives you your calorie goal so if you told MFP you wanted to lose 1/2 pound a week, it would subtract 250 calories from your daily maintenance goal AT REST, that's why you get to eat back exercise cals.... however, I don't know it it's exercise calculator subtracts out your AT REST expenditure to give you true exercise burn ... which is why I don't ever eat back my exercise calories unless I am extremely fatigues from it. But then, I also allow myself a decent amount of calories per day (1600)
  • moodybear2003
    Options
    I think everyone is right, and that number is too high. I try not to eat back any exercise calories. MFP set my goal at 2200 or something higher like that, and i manually set it to 2000, and I aim to only eat at 1600. I don't always manage to stay under, especially on the weekends.
  • Birder165
    Options
    I think everyone is right, and that number is too high. I try not to eat back any exercise calories. MFP set my goal at 2200 or something higher like that, and i manually set it to 2000, and I aim to only eat at 1600. I don't always manage to stay under, especially on the weekends.

At least you know you've banked some for those days when you're hungrier and don't really need to worry about higher calorie days. I bet a lot of people do that here.
    1600 calories is a decent amount of food and would cover the exercise calories to reach 1200 net.